Propecia...

JohnTurner

Reaction score
Hello, I am 23 years old. male pattern baldness has claimed my dad and my older brother, both of whom are bald or really close to being bald. I used to have great hair, but in the last year I've noticed the top of my head seems to be thinning and I have slight recession in my temples. Wanting to nip this in the bud if possible, I researched everything possible related to hair loss, including finasteride/Rogaine and went to my dermatologist.

After examining my head, he told me that I am indeed thinning and that it is male pattern baldness. I asked him about propecia, expecting him to give me a script for it and tell me the side effects talk is nonsense, but he actually REFUSED to give me a script for it and said "recent studies came out that show it has irrevirsible sexual side effects" and then told me to simply use rogaine foam.

I know that rogaine foam probably won't stop my hair from thinning further, and that I need propecia to have a chance to stop it or slow it down. Before going to him I was leaning towards taking it, but now I'm not so sure. What should I do in this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
JohnTurner said:
Hello, I am 23 years old. male pattern baldness has claimed my dad and my older brother, both of whom are bald or really close to being bald. I used to have great hair, but in the last year I've noticed the top of my head seems to be thinning and I have slight recession in my temples. Wanting to nip this in the bud if possible, I researched everything possible related to hair loss, including finasteride/Rogaine and went to my dermatologist.

After examining my head, he told me that I am indeed thinning and that it is male pattern baldness. I asked him about propecia, expecting him to give me a script for it and tell me the side effects talk is nonsense, but he actually REFUSED to give me a script for it and said "recent studies came out that show it has irrevirsible sexual side effects" and then told me to simply use rogaine foam.

I know that rogaine foam probably won't stop my hair from thinning further, and that I need propecia to have a chance to stop it or slow it down. Before going to him I was leaning towards taking it, but now I'm not so sure. What should I do in this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

You can do what I, and many others on this board do, which is use an online pharmacy and buy generic finasteride. The most popular on this board, and the one i use, is inhousepharmacy.biz . I buy the product called Finpecia. Its the same exact thing as Propecia, but way way cheaper. I've never had a problem with inhouse and the meds are 100% legit. Rogaine foam alone is not going to stop the progression of your hair loss.

If you don't want to use an online pharmacy you could always go to another doctor, but they're going to give you Propecia..which is like $80 a month. If you buy generic finasteride online, its $20 a month

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JohnTurner said:
...After examining my head, he told me that I am indeed thinning and that it is male pattern baldness. I asked him about propecia, expecting him to give me a script for it and tell me the side effects talk is nonsense, but he actually REFUSED to give me a script for it and said "recent studies came out that show it has irrevirsible sexual side effects" and then told me to simply use rogaine foam.

You should have asked him for a reference to those recent studies with "irreversible sexual side effects". I'd like to read them, myself.

Something you could use as a substitute for finasteride is a topical cream called "Proxiphen". The doctor who designed it (both an MD and a PhD) has worked on it for decades, and claims that it's "unquestionably more effective than Propecia alone". I have no reason to doubt that claim; the only real problem is that it's EXPENSIVE, and requires a prescription. You could also try a much cheaper version of it called Prox-N, and is available over the counter. I used Prox-N for two straight years, and it MORE than fully maintained my hair during that time.

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
JohnTurner said:
...After examining my head, he told me that I am indeed thinning and that it is male pattern baldness. I asked him about propecia, expecting him to give me a script for it and tell me the side effects talk is nonsense, but he actually REFUSED to give me a script for it and said "recent studies came out that show it has irrevirsible sexual side effects" and then told me to simply use rogaine foam.

First he tells you that "the side effects talk is nonsense", then he tells you that it has "irreversible sexual side effects"?? :dunno: Was the guy DRUNK? :dunno:

Something you could use as a substitute for finasteride is a topical cream called "Proxiphen". The doctor who designed it (both an MD and a PhD) has worked on it for decades, and claims that it's "unquestionably more effective than Propecia alone". I have no reason to doubt that claim; the only real problem is that it's EXPENSIVE, and requires a prescription. You could also try a much cheaper version of it called Prox-N, and is available over the counter. I used Prox-N for two straight years, and it MORE than fully maintained my hair during that time.

He said he was EXPECTING the doctor to give him a script and say the side effects talk is nonsense ;)

Edit: I will also say that Bryan is notorious for pushing Proxiphen, and many on this board believe he may have some sort of financial stake in doing so. I have not seen any success stories on this board with proof that proxiphen was what did it for them (it would be far easier to find success stories of people taking generic finasteride than to find a success story on proxiphen alone). Also, proxiphen contains minoxidil. Just making sure you have the full disclosure. I don't know if proxiphen works, is any more effective than regular minoxidil, or what...just stating, what i believe are, the facts.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Chris87 said:
He said he was EXPECTING the doctor to give him a script and say the side effects talk is nonsense ;)

I know. I just edited my post! :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Browny said:
Holy moly...

This has gone beyond shameless...

'summons Jacob'

Why? Do you need Jacob to wipe your butt for you? :)

Browny

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Browny said:
Holy moly...

This has gone beyond shameless...

'summons Jacob'

Why? Do you need Jacob to wipe your butt for you? :)

Indeed, with "Proxiphen soaked" toilet paper, and let me tell you - it's unquestionably more effective than baby wipes...

Keep trying Bryan, you'll evolve...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Proxiphen would be an obvious thing to try for the Original Poster, as long as he can afford it. Don't know why you're being so snotty about it...

Browny

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok

Bit of advice for you young squire - the more you post about Proctor's products, the more exposed you are going to be, the more crap you are going to get from a growing plethora of members...

My advice? (not that you're gonna be interested) take a step back, you have gone from once being a well respected figure in the hairloss community, to an ever growing puppeteer / shill for all to see...

Most disussions you are involved in are focused around Proctor's products, the substance that was once possibly there is ever diminishing in your posts...

And..........i know you disagree...

Muchas gracias...

Obrigado...

Browny

Established Member
Reaction score
To the OP...

Apologies for the hijack...

It would be really helpful for the fellas here if you could post some clear pictures of your hairline and crown, then a better decision can be made based on what to do next for you...

Regards

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
that's proxiphen the product without even any proof that it works...yeah why not give it a try OP lol

Mods...WHY???????????????????????????????????????????????

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
Once Jacob steps in, Bryan goes running off into his hiding hole with his head between his legs.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
elvis123 said:
Once Jacob steps in, Bryan goes running off into his hiding hole with his head between his legs.

Actually, what I really like to do is run into my hiding hole with my head between your mother's legs.

majorsixth

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
elvis123 said:

Actually, what I really like to do is run into my hiding hole with my head between your mother's legs.

This is way to personal. You should reply with more tact.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
majorsixth said:
This is way to personal. You should reply with more tact.

_I_ am the one who should use more tact!! ROTFLMAO!!!

oldmpber

Established Member
Reaction score
JohnTurner said:

Rogain will buy you time, but in the long run you will probably slowly lose hair. Ppropecia will buy you even more time and is probably the best thing out there right now. Give it a try but you should keep any eye out for side effects as they do happen to some people. Good luck..!