Propecia

Deaner

Reaction score
I was wondering that since dutasteride apparently reduces DHT by 90 percent after 2 weeks, and 93 percent after 2 years or whatever, what finasteride does after the same periods of time? I heard that finasteride inhibits like, 70 percent of serum DHT or something?

Thanks

Darren1905

Reaction score
Finasteride - positive

Hello there all,

I'm new to these boards but have been taking 1 mg of finasteride (generic propecia), for three and a half months.

I'm 31 anfd have slowly been losing my hair over the past 6 years or so. the main places affected are the temples, where my hairline is receding and the frontal area in betweed the temples is now starting to thin. My crown area is still intact.

Now over the last month or so I've noticed that some hair is re-growing around my temple area. Some of the hairs are fairly thick, while some are fine. There are stray hairs growing back here and there along my fringe line too. I'm very positive about these results, especially at such an early stage.

I'm keeping my eye on the progress and will let you all know how it comes along.

SIDE EFFECTS:

I've very few side effects, the only one being that my semen is watery if i ejaculate twice in one day - ie: first time it is normal, second time it's watery.

This is the only side effect I've had but it hardly impinges on my health or sexlife in any way.

So far the whole experience has been very positive for me. my advice for anyone thinking about taking finasteride/propecia would be to throw caution to the wind and give it a go. It's working for me!

Darren.

mikey21

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this board, or any for that matter so i'll give a little background of myself. I am 21 years old and obviously experiencing hairloss. It is most noticeable at the front of my hairline and above the temples, but it is thinning all over the top. I first really noticed my hairloss about 7 months ago, and I have now been taking propecia religiously for 6 months. So far I don't feel like its given me significant results, but i'll be patient. I am hoping you all may be able to help me with a few questions:

1. I've read that propecia is not effective at the front of the head (hairline) and area above the temples, has anyone been able to maintain or grow hair in these areas with propecia?

2. I've been looking for a connection between alcohol consumption and the efficiency of propecia, as i am 21 and in college i end up drinking a fair amount, and occasionally drag my hungover self out of bed in the morning to take my pill. I assume that propecia is in some way metabolized in the liver, am I reducing the effectiveness of propecia by taking it with alcohol still in my system from the night before (or sometimes only a few hours before as the case may be)?

3. Has anyone else read the five year results for propecia, they seem disheartening, the trend appears to be that the regrown hair begins to slowly fall out, I am hoping that further hairloss below the baseline does not occur assuming any regrown hair eventually falls out. I am hoping for any general thoughts or reactions to this study

Thanks in advance, and I'd like to add that reading over these posts has made me feel quite a bit better just knowing that others are going through the same things I am. -Mikey

p.s. I noticed a post about Telogen Effluvium, which I read a brief summary of; the poster seemed to believe that propecia gave him Telogen Effluvium? forgive me if i read it wrong, but how in the world do you know if propecia gives you Telogen Effluvium?

some dude

Reaction score
Hi there Mikey21. My hairloss has been pretty much limited to the frontal area around my temples, and id have to say that i haven't had any significant results either. It has been about 8 months now, but that doesn't mean im discouraged, or regret taking Propecia either. I can still say that I have no less hair than when i started taking the drug, and for me this is alright. I suppose there is always a chance that sometime in the near future ill notice some regrowth, but im not holding my breath. As long as i can maintain what i have, that will suffice.
I guess like all of us, im in anticipation of the day when a new wonder drug arrives that will significantly reduce male pattern baldness. The way i figure it, propecia starts to become ineffective after about 5 yrs, so we've got some time! I've got faith in the capitalist economy that says where there is a massive market for a drug that would cure male pattern baldness, such a drug will be created. It would make the company RICH!!! From what i hear there are already a number of new drugs being created as we speak, so there is hope guys! Maybe its just a matter of time. Be patient and remember, at the end of the day, it is only hair.

Mark1

Reaction score
Propecia/Proscar

I have posted this question on other area's and have not received a response. If there is one criticism I have about the discussion forum is it is to diluted. THere are too many topics. You no-longer get a response after you ask a question.

My question

I have had 1.25mg of Proscar in my regimen for a couple of years and have taken it religiously. I ran into a shipping problem and had to go without it for a period of time. How long can you go without proscar after you have been on it without having a regression.

Mark1

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Finesteride builds up in your system over time and since you've been taking it years I'd sya that you can easly go a few days without it, but once you get it you should go back to the regimen just as religiously as before

Mark1

Reaction score
Jack_the_Lad,

Thank you for the reply. I was actually off of it for a month. Is it possible I could of lost some of those gains I made. If so is it possible to gain them back now that I have it back in my system. If it is possible to gain it back, how long should I expect it will take to see returns.

Thx Mark1

MrBen

Reaction score
I am 19 and noticing hair loss on the top of my head. It's becoming thin and that scares me. My father is bald and I quite frankly don't want to look like him.

I am going to the doctor on Tuesday and am going to see what he says.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I heard that the Propecia patent expires in January. If I use Proscar for the first few months and switch to Propecia, is that going to harm anything?

mikey21

Reaction score
Ben,

Propecia and Proscar are the EXACT same drug, Proscar is cheaper but you have to split it into fourths or fifth's if you can, so no there is no danger in switching back and forth. I'm 21 but i have a feeling i was starting to bald slightly at 19 but i just didn't think about it. don't start treatment if you're not sure, but if the Doctor gives you an answer you don't agree with see a dermatologist for a second opinion, good luck

MrBen

Reaction score
I have a feeling I've been balding for a couple years now and just didn't notice. I never thought it would start so young. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure because I'm on a tight budget. The hair loss isn't that noticable. I started freaking out when I asked my sister if she noticed and she said she was wondering if I was losing hair. If the hair loss were to stay like this I would be fine, I just don't want it to get worse.

Ben

MrBen

Reaction score
I've been using it about 3 weeks now and have thinner hair around the crown now and a noticeable bald spot. Also using Nizoral 2-3x a week. Hopefully it gets better...

spacemanspiff

Reaction score
hey guys, i was wondering typically how long does it take for you to see some results with proscar... ive been splitting it into 5ths and using nizoral every other day (thats the only shampoo i use)

i started taking it on august 11th, so its been 2 months to the day and I was using nizoral today in the shower and i had at least 7-8 hairs in my hands as I was putting in the nizoral...... :(

Cassin

Reaction score
7 to 8?!?! Thats normal even if you weren't losing hair. Your just paying too much attention now. :)

And somewhere between month 6 and 12, the finasteride should kick into gear..

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
spacemanspiff said:
i mean, that happens daily though
i was hoping that would taper off after awhile

You shouldn't look at your results from a day to day basis, you'll drive yourself mad. It takes along time for the hair growth cycle to come through so you should think in terms of months. With each new cycle your hair should grow in thicker and darker. Some guys get amazing results and others not so noticable, it's all in the statistics.

Cassin

Reaction score
spacemanspiff said:
i mean, that happens daily though
i was hoping that would taper off after awhile

Yes losing that many daily is fine....even if you lost 20 or more....your hair isn't implanted with a metal anchor. Some hairs will always come out easy and then when it regrows, the next one will come out easy......on and on. It's a cycle.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Concerned about finasteride...side effects

AJB said:
:(

I've been using finasteride (proscar cut into roughtly 1.25mg quarters) now for about four to five months. I can't tell yet if it is helping my hair, which is not suprising given this short duration.

I have experienced few if any sexual side effects, except that maybe I'm not as consistently horny as I used to be. That isn't entirely a bad thing. However, despite the intact sex life, I must admit I've felt a bit more moody on it than I used to feel. I thought maybe it was just my imagination, but then one night I went to a party and had a couple beers. I don't drink very often and my tolerance is not all that high these days. I was suprised to notice that I didn't really feel drunk. I had two more beers. At this point I should have had a lampshade on my head, but instead I felt only slightly buzzed. Another night I went out to eat with my girlfriend and, after a couple drinks, felt next to nothing. At least, I didn't feel that kind of relaxing high that alcohol can give you. All I felt was a bit red in the face.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but on a hunch, I got on the internet, wondering if finasteride might affect the way EtOH is metabolized or something.

Much to my suprise, I did find a connection between finasteride and alcohol. It would appear that alchohol causes an increase in the production of a "neurosteroid" called allopregnanolone. Allopregnanolone binds to a certain receptor in your brain, the GABA(A) receptor. GABA(A) is a receptor for a neurotransmitter called GABA (short for gamma aminobutyric acid). GABA is one of the major inhibitory neurotransmitters, and is implicated in many anxiety disorders and depression. Certain anti-anxiety drugs like valium bind to GABA's recpetor too. Allopregnanolone is an "allosteric enhancer" of the GABA(A) receptor. That means it helps the receptor do it's job better. Specifically, it intensifies the effects of GABA by making it much easier for GABA to "turn on" the receptor. So, when you drink alcohol, more allopregnanolone gets produced, GABA is thus made more potent, and you feel relaxed and happy.

Here's the deal: Allopregnanolone is a metabolite of progesterone. Guess what is one of the enzymes responsible for converting progesterone to allopregnanolone: Yep, 5-alpha reductase. In other words, just like it inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT, finasteride blocks the conversion of progesterone to allopregnanolone.

It gets worse: Just before menstruation, the levels of progesterone in a woman's body drop dramatically. This leads to a corresponding drop in allopregnanolone, which leads to...PMS! That's right, one of the reasons women get moody and anxious before they get their period is because they're experienceing allopregnanolone withdrawl. Contrary to what many think, men also make progesterone, and men also depend on allopregnanolone for the proper functioning of GABA in their brains.

Needless to say, I have been doing a lot of reading about this, and I'm a bit alarmed. I knew going into it that finasteride could maybe effect erections or my sex drive, but nobody said it could make me depressed or anxious too. But there is clear scientific evidence out there that finasteride can have some profound effects on the way your brain works. Most specifically, it will effect the way your brain reacts to stress: stress causes increases in the production of allopregnanolone, and allopregnanolone production in the cerebral cortex is greatly inhibited by finasteride. Some people are even considering giving finasteride to alcoholics to help them get off the sauce: Since finasteride deprives you of the relaxing reward of drinking, there's less of an incentive to drink!

I work as a biologist. The studies on this subject have been published in some very reputable journals, like The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, The Journal of Neuroscience, Brain Research, etc.

Just follow this link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed

Type in the blank "finasteride" and "allopregnanolone" and see what you turn up. Scientists use finasteride as a tool in the lab to study behavior in rats, like their response to alcohol or stress. Loss of allopregnanolone even makes rats more prone to seizures when treated with certain drugs. I'm not making any of this up.

My feelings upon reading all this stuff: Oh f**k! I really don't know what I should do at this point. My emotional state has only been mildly affected, I would say, and I can't really say I've experienced any significant impact on my life. But the fact is, this drug does more than just just stop you from losing your hair (maybe). It turns out there are a lot of steroid hormones in your body, and many of them are converted by 5-alpha reductase. All of these hormones have a purpose, and I just have to wonder what the long-term effects of monkeying around with them might be. If all finasteride did was inhibit DHT, I probably could ignore it, since my sex life is fine. But I'm not so sure any of us should ignore some of its other effects. We should at least be fully informed as to what this drug does to our bodies.

So, what do you all think?

What a great post.