Propecia

Loosing Locs

Reaction score
African-American Males Loosing Hair

If there are any African-American brothers on-line, please let me know. I would like to get some support and advice.

G

Re: African-American Males Loosing Hair

Loosing Locs said:
If there are any African-American brothers on-line, please let me know. I would like to get some support and advice.

We Europeon-American brothers are willing to help also!

fix

Reaction score
Re-starting Propecia

I guess I'm more curious if there's any specific awareness of having started Propecia, stopped only to see advanced hair loss a couple years later, and then started again to reverse what was lost in the interim. Do I sound neurotic enough?

Stingray

Reaction score
Oooh, so us skin head honkeys arent good enough for yah eh? Well...I hope you go bald then :)

speedy

Reaction score
:lol: I've heard that propecia stops maintaing after 3 years is the true?

Axon

Reaction score
speedy said:
:lol: I've heard that propecia stops maintaing after 3 years is the true?

The occasional case is reported from an end user, but wheter or not this is caused by male pattern baldness advancing or Propecia failing is unclear.

However, the odds are in your favor that you will maintain hair count as long as you use the drug.

mankurt

Reaction score
Ok, I read a lot of stuff about Finasteride and despite my rusty English, I somehow managed to learn something :

1- Finasteride probably won’t have any positive effect on my frontal hair and temples.
2- If I begin using Finasteride, I’m likely to shed some initial hair.

Here cometh my question:

3- How likely is it that the frontal hair I’m gonna lose during the shedding period will never grow back?

straycat

Reaction score
mankurt, usually finast shed means the drug is working and if it's working you will shed into thicker hairs next time they grow. if you already lack frontal hair, finast can have less effect there but if you have and it sheds because of finast then it'll probably grow thicker.
not wanting to break mankurt's thread i'd like to post a question.
June marks 1 year on propecia for me.
My diffuse thining halted on the early months - at month 9 i spotted new light hairs poppin out - month 11, they're still the same, my hair still looks bad but feels better.
does someone know when these lighter hairs are gonna shed into more thicker ones and does anyone on these boards achieved regrowth *only* on propecia and nizoral?

thanks, guys.

btw, xl, how's things? read only today bout your depression. depression is a fucked up matter. people usually mistake serious depression for sadness, or frustation. i had death wish several times. i've been away ´cause that's just me. anti-social and lone soul. stay strong, bro.

Boomer

Reaction score
Straycat, I'm from Portugal too... Guimarães. Where can I buy Propecia here in Portugal? (I spoke in english so everybody can understand)

straycat

Reaction score
ya, pó pessoal entender vou escrever tb em inglês ;)

yo boomer. good to hear from a portuguese neighbor.
i'm from amora, seixal.
you can buy propecia in any pharmacy at about 50€ (it's a bit expensive and it comes on a 28 pill package, not even good for a whole month and you need a prescription). you can get nizoral too (if you're taking propecia, nizoral shampoo is a must) in pharmacies for 10€ or 15€.

Boomer

Reaction score
Obrigado pah :)
Já agora:
How much does Rogaine cost here in Portugal? Is it sold in pharmacies?

straycat

Reaction score
rogaine

na boa, mano! qualquer dúvida, apita. :rockon:

rogaine (or regaine) is sold in pharmacies too and it's about 20€ or 30€ last time i asked, but check your local pharmacy and you'll get the right price. there's a 2% and a 5% version of rogaine. 5% is stronger (recomended for people losing hair for 5 years or more or wanting results faster).

mariani1234

Reaction score
New to the forum...have questions

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am in my mid twenties and am experiencing hairloss. This is where I am at up to this point:

I have been on Propecia for exactly three months now. I have nothing good to say so far. My hair loss seems to have accelerated a bit and my head is really itchy. I have tried T-gel (makes it itchier) and Nizoral every 4 days.

Fortunately, my hair loss is still only noticeable if you look really close on top. Also, My temples have receded about 1/2 inch...one side worse that the other. So, I have grown my hair about 2 1/2 inches to try and cover the temples and anything on the top and in the back.

I guess, like all of you, I am looking for advice and am happy to share my experiences as well if it can help someone in the future. I ust have a few questions:

1. If I cut my hair really short would it slow the hair loss...even though the loss at the temples would be obvious.

2. does anything out there regrow the hairloss at the temples...so far I've only read that propecia and rogaine help at the top and crown.

3. Has anybody found anything good to control the itching when the normal t-gel nizoral routine doesn't work....it's embarrasing to always have to itch my head. Would cutting my hair really short help the itching?

4. If a ton of my hair does fall out in the future because the propecia didn't work is hair transplantation an effective solution these days?

Stingray

Reaction score
Hey, welcome to the forum. I'm your friendly forum newbie basher, but you seem to have staged your post in an intellegent and non idiotic fashion. Therefore I see no reason to verbally beat you to a bloody pulp.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I started shedding when I was 19 or so, and now I'm 21 and noticing a serious red light flashing. It appears to me that I've lost about 50% of the hair up top (or at least it's thinned so much it's hard to even see) and I'm frantcally trying to at least maintain. This I seem to have at least done to some extent. I'm on propecia, minoxidil, nizoral, and experimenting with 320mg/day Saw Palmetto extract. It appears to be doing SOMETHING, because I'm not losing NEAR as much hair a day as I was 3-4 months ago. I've been doing this for about 3 months.

In answer to your questions.

1) Absolutely not. Male Pattern Baldness has NOTHING to do with length of hair. It's genetic.
2) Rogaine and Propecia were only TESTED on the crown. However, they work on all regions of the scalp in an individual with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern baldness)
3) nizoral and T/gel are what I use and it works wonders for me. You can probably try to get T/Sal. Cutting the hair short could also help I suppose.
4)Absolutely. You don't want to do a hair transplant until it's a "when all else fails" situation. Whatever you do surgically is final. And I've read horror stories on transplants.

Good luck meng. I'll knock on wood for yah.

straycat

Reaction score
scalp

mariani, if you have itchy and oily scalp, the good thing to keep it healthy is nizoral 3 times a week along with t-gel the other days or a soft shampo like j&j. washing your hair everyday will only do you good.

only a reminder just in case:

June marks 1 year on propecia for me.
My diffuse thining halted on the early months - at month 9 i spotted new light hairs poppin out - month 11, they're still the same, my hair still looks bad but feels better.
does someone know when these lighter hairs are gonna shed into more thicker ones and does anyone on these boards achieved regrowth *only* on propecia and nizoral?

thanks, guys.

Stingray

Reaction score
Could be tomorrow, could be never. If you're not already...try adding minoxidil to the mix. Propecia alone is a poor regrowth agent, but minoxidil is a good one. Conversely, minoxidil is a poor maintaining agent, and propecia is a good one. See how the two complement each other? That's why we stress using both. I'd say you have a 4 times better chance of regrowing hair using BOTH remedies than just using one or the other.

straycat

Reaction score
yeh i know you're right. there's just 2 things holding me, no money and being life dependent on another product. i was just hoping for that fourty or fifty something percent of propecia regrowth chances.

thanks, holding on...

taveeta

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm 27 and have been using minoxidil for about 1 year. I'm thinking of starting Proscar as well but am scared as hell of the side effects. Anyone else taking proscar? I'm married so I don't want to mess up my sex life or ability to have kids.