Propecia

straycat

Reaction score
the plot thickens but not my hair...

hey, no sweat telo! i guess we're all a bit tired of seeing minoxidil, Propecia, dutasteride, finast questions everywhere, that we just throw a "nizoral twrice a week, 1 pill a day, wait 1 year, drink a bottle of minoxidil, switch the dosage to half a pound proscar, blah blah blah, dr. lee's new formula, blah blah, norwood vs morning wood, whatever..."
just take a rest, ehehe. take care.
:D

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree Cat, we all need a break from all this bullshit from time to time... Why can't we just all shave our heads and go sun tanning in South Beach with a cooler full of beers! 8)

XL

azsand

Reaction score
Re: Quick update

azsand said:
Regarding my initial post in late October:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... &start=165

Will provide another update in a few months.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=14&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=270

Final follow up. I stopped taking Propecia again after 3 months.

- Consistently reduced libido. It was livable, but not very fun. I love heart pounding encounters with my girlfriend and having the wood to go with it. Wouldn't trade a thing for it.
- Skin issues returned. Cellulite/stretch-mark like skin appeared on parts of body after ~2.5 months of 1 mg. This was the same skin problem I had after taking it the first time for 18 months. I had no other notable lifestyle changes that should have brought this on. I am a very lean person and have been doing considerable cardio and weight lifting exercises before, during, and after.
- Questioned the possibility that other mild skin issues may have been related (puffy or loose skin, particularly on face, other skin issues)

I'm glad I tried again, and I'm glad most people do not get any side effects. I'm also happy to be off it again and to have my libido back. I just happen to be one of the minority to get he side effects, its that simple. I don't even mind the propspect of losing the rest of my hair, although I will continue using minoxidil and look out for other alternatives from time to time. I'd prefer to keep my hair, but no one gets everything they want.

Good luck everyone! And remember, the only person that can make your hairloss an issue is you. Don't waste your time thinking about it. Better to spend that time finding things you like to do like mountain bike, dance, play an instrument, start a business or a family or a charity organization, have a sexual adventure, climb a mountain--whatever. Those have nothing to do with how many hairs you have.

straycat

Reaction score
right on xz!

yo're right azsand, everyone has his own priorities.
i make xzellerate's words, my own: shave, tan, beer.
waiting for the summer... 8)

stay strong.

-sc

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey azsand! I felt the same way as you my man! This week was my first off Propecia after taking it consistently for 2 months, and I was with my girlfriend yesterday. Wood all the way. She wore this real sexy skirt, and just by telling me that she was wearing a thong, I was hard as a rock! It used to take some serious rubbing and kissing to get me to even begin an erection while on Propecia. Unfortunately, my prescription was set to 3 refills, so I just popped my first pill for my 3rd month today :( . Like you, I wish I could just stay on minoxidil only and eventually I think that will be the course I'll take if Propecia doesn't work for me... Hey cat, you should hang around in the General Discussions section more often.. You'll find me and Mr. Telogen there all the time, and there are interesting topics every day.

XL

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't like hangin around that much anymore huh?

XL

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I do and don't.LOL Now that I have some beer in me........... Yes I like this site, if I did not, I would not be here, but I need a break.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Everyone needs a break from time to time... 8)

XL

Urbanite

Reaction score
question

i should probably just ask my doctor this, but i wanted other's opinions also:

I've been taking propecia for 7 or 8 months now. have thinning up top. thick on sides & back. Still have a very thick 'forelock' ( :?: :? ) but BEHIND the hairline is thinny thin thin, basically bald with VERY light coverage of hair....

i ALSO have not stopped shaving my head in the past 2 years. I'm 30, started losing it around 28....will shaving my head destroy any chance of growing my hair back w/propecia? I look fine with a bald head, but i'd rather have my hair, but don't wan't to grow it back until it's going to cover enough so it dosen't look like a globe of the earth-u know, land-water-land...anyone? :?: :? :?

straycat

Reaction score
hey urbanite.

i'm on propecia for 9 months now and i buzz my hair 0" (shaved it for a couple months) since 2001 and never read anything saying it would affect regrowing.
actually i'm starting to see some hairs gaining color and growing longer. try buzzin it instead of shaving when you reach 9 to 12 months just to see more clearely if your hair's growing thicker.

take care.

Urbanite

Reaction score
straycat

thanx for the input. i'll try letting it grow in a bit & just buzzing it when i hit the 9 month mark...

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm used to having my hair at a #2 clip on top, and #0 fade on the sides. I can say that it helps me feel allot more comfortable about hair loss, helps apply treatments such as minoxidil 5%, and may even help determine progress of using drugs such as Propecia as mentioned before. However, I have been determined to let it grow out one more time before I completely commit my life to short haircuts/shaved head if I am to do this. I just want to see how long will it get before I get tired of dealing with the shedding, dandruff, etc. Good luck everybody! Hey Cat, let me know when you are ready to grow yours out too, and we will keep each other in touch regarding our progress...

PS: BTW, what kind of hair do you have? (e.g.: Curly, Straight, Wavy, Hard, Soft, etc...) I have Wavy Hard, So after 1 inch, it starts to curl, let me know...

XL

Urbanite

Reaction score
xzellerate

see, i wanna let mine grow in a bit too, but it's still kinda thin RIGHT BEHIND my hairline & on a sunny day, or a brightly lit room, it looks crazy if i let my hair grow in too much, hair-bald-hair...... i have very dark brown hair with a lighter complexion...i'm tryin to be patient to see if i'll get more results in months 9-12, it's just so hard to wait that long... :cry:

last-minute-stef

Reaction score
3 weeks on Propecia ... and sheding has increased!

Hi Guys,

this morning, I just couldn't stand it anymore. It's been 3 weeks now since I started taking Propecia and ... the sheding has dramatically increased!! :( What's going on with my hair ?!! Isn't Finasteride suppose to STOP sheding and not increasing it? Has anyone had the same sad experience? Can I expect the heavy sheding to stop if I keep on taking the medication? I'm trying to understand the reaction ... but I don't so that's why I come here to seek advice from you.

Maybe it's Nature's way to let me know I should stop that... but what if Finasteride turns out to be really effective? Harrrgg...

Thanks.

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
That's normal and usually means you are a good responder.You have to ride it out,it's not fun.

last-minute-stef

Reaction score
MrTelogen said:
That's normal and usually means you are a good responder.You have to ride it out,it's not fun.

Hey, thanks for your fast answer. :wink: After a couple of days of heavy sheding you really start to be confused. The sad thing is I'm losing a lot of long hair, hair that "covers" my scalp. At this pace, it seems I'm doing more bad than good to my hair. I think I'll hang on for a while ... hoping the sheding will decrease. On average, how long does it take? Any idea?

Food for thought:

It's amazing how hair-loss is so misunderstood by science. Okay, it's not a life-threatening condition and research efforts are probably put some other places. Finasteride, minoxidil are effective but "derived" treatments not initally aimed to treat hair-loss : positive side-effects have been discovered later. Is there some REAL work done on the subject?

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
On average, how long does it take? Any idea?

I really do not know, I think everyone is different and besides, how do you tell the difference between shedding from Propecia and regular telogen hairs that shed normally?Then theres the hairs that you are actually losing to DHT.You really cannot know.Most guys that put their blinders on for 12 months on Propecia get end up where they started or better off.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
I've also noticed that while on Propecia, no matter how much I shed, my scalp doesn't thin accordinly. Meaning that right after every shedded hair, there is a new one growing out. This new hair will be either a miniturized vellous hair, or a terminal hair. It all depends on the treatment that you are on.

XL

JanPeter

Reaction score
shedding

Hey guys from Hairlosstalk, i have a question. I wonder if shedding is less severe when your hairloss is more a gradual process instead of really fast. I mean, shedding occurs when all hairs that are about to lose, fall out at once. When you have more slow hairloss, not so many hairs are about to fall out in at this moment, compared to fast hairloss.

I just want to know, i want to start using finasteride, but scared of all the stories about shedding. My hairloss is taking place quite slowly.