Propecia vs Avodart

Aplunk1

Reaction score
My top thinned out considerably on finasteride, which makes me think that it became less effective.

I know I'll be fine using dutasteride, but I was just wondering why Norwood's I and II weren't tested... The drug seems safe enough to at LEAST test it on Norwood's I and II.

Peter2

Reaction score
I believe finasteride is not strong enough to halting male pattern baldness. In a short time (a period of 2, maybe 3 years) it will work good voor many guys because it decreasd DHT for 60-70% in the blood stream, that will cause a slow down in male pattern baldness progression and maybe even regrowth for some (lucky) guys. But after a couple of years, male pattern baldness will progress because there is still DHT in the tissue en blood stream en it mostly target the frontal area.

Dutasteride is much better in the long term because its inhibiting more type II 5-AR than finasteride, and of course, its inhibiting also the type I. In that way, dutasteride lowered much more DHT than finasteride does. Tricomin is very effective for me, it regrows hairs on complete bald areas, my teenage hair line. Tricomin also inhibits 5-AR, both types 8) and thats why I think it is so effective.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Peter2 said:
Tricomin also inhibits 5-AR, both types 8) ...

I strongly doubt that.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Save your time. I already know what you saw, which is that highly dubious statement from Pickart about how topical copper peptides can supposedly increase copper ions in the bloodstream to the level where they can start to inhibit 5a-reductase. Sorry, but that doesn't convince me. Not at all.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've already read that. A long time ago. But there's a very important detail here which you need to understand: COPPER PEPTIDES AREN'T IONS.

Bryan

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
I think it's weird how in the FDA Phase II studies for Avodart's dutasteride only involved 416 men with Norwood's IIIv, IV, and V.
Might be something as simple as ensuring subjects have a similar degree of hair loss to those involved in the earlier studies in which Propecia's effectiveness was measured.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Propecia never accounted for male pattern baldness in men with patterns Norwood I, II ?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Someone said that complete inhibition of the formation of DHt (100%) will make someone lose his/her hair. Is this true?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Scalp hair has no need for androgens at all.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Propecia never accounted for male pattern baldness in men with patterns Norwood I, II ?
I've got no idea what level of hair loss Propecia was tested for when Merck were going after FDA approval, but I'm assuming Glaxo followed guidelines laid down by the FDA and that they would want any results to be comparable to Propecia's testing. Might all be wild supposition but then I'm not really bothered, what's important is that the study demonstrates .5mg of dutasteride out-performs finasteride (even 5mg worth) and that I'm happy with my results. The FDA not having approved it for my particular Norwood isn't going to lose me any sleep.

Slarti

IDOASIS

Established Member
Reaction score
Peter2 said:
Dutasteride is much better in the long term because its inhibiting more type II 5-AR than finasteride .

Why does everyone keep saying that, I have never seen a solid proof.

abcdefg

Reaction score
what is the relation between hermaphrodites the biological model for finasteride and people with androgen insensitivity syndrome? What do both those types of people have in common? Do people with androgen insensitivity still go bald if injected with large amounts of testosterone or DHT? do they still have receptors for androgens to attack? Do there immune systems still attack hair if made susceptible by high levels of androgens?