Propecia versus Proscar

drinkrum

Reaction score
By definition, DHT (dihydrotestosterone) is a hormone -- in fact it is arguably the most potent hormone in the male body. A hormone is "a substance, usually a peptide or steroid, produced by one tissue and conveyed by the bloodstream to another to effect physiological activity, such as growth or metabolism."

DHT is not useless after puberty. If it were useless, then people wouldn't be having sexual problems by using finasteride. DHT still plays significant roles in the body -- pre- or post-puberty.

D.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
So, I see you found the answer to your question!

Still doesn't tell me if I am spending my money wisely or not! :lol:

de Gaulle.

drinkrum

Reaction score
de Gaulle said:
So, I see you found the answer to your question!

Still doesn't tell me if I am spending my money wisely or not! :lol:

de Gaulle.

Not to my question, de Gaulle, but to your question about DHT being a hormone. I'm just trying to educate you on the subject bud so you stop freaking people out about finasteride dosage and side effects.

D.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
I usually read pamphlets written by scientists that are doing their research on that matter and they claim side effects are greater at higher dosage of Finasteride (i.e. Proscar study).

Thanks for your help in "educating" me though! :)

de Gaulle.

drinkrum

Reaction score
de Gaulle said:
I usually read pamphlets written by scientists that are doing their research on that matter and they claim side effects are greater at higher dosage of Finasteride (i.e. Proscar study).

Thanks for your help in "educating" me though! :)

de Gaulle.

Oh really? Do they make a 1.25 mg Proscar also? Have you read some pamphlets about that?

D.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
Oh really? Do they make a 1.25 mg Proscar also? Have you read some pamphlets about that?

D.

No, but the greater side effects related to the consumption of 5 mg of Finasteride...

Peace.

de Gaulle.

drinkrum

Reaction score
de Gaulle said:
drinkrum said:

D.

No, but the greater side effects related to the consumption of 5 mg of Finasteride...

Peace.

de Gaulle.

Like I said before, you're comparing apples and oranges. The reference group for Proscar is old men whereas with Propecia it's young men. You really can't compare the two clinical trials; there are too many variables at play.

D.

de Gaulle

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
Like I said before, you're comparing apples and oranges. The reference group for Proscar is old men whereas with Propecia it's young men. You really can't compare the two clinical trials; there are too many variables at play.

D.

True! Yet there are greater side effects when using 5mg rather than 1mg. This is mentioned in the study and we talked about it yesterday if you can check for yourself... (I feel like repeating myself now :shock: )

drinkrum

Reaction score
de Gaulle said:
drinkrum said:

D.

True! Yet there are greater side effects when using 5mg rather than 1mg. This is mentioned in the study and we talked about it yesterday if you can check for yourself... (I feel like repeating myself now :shock: )

Right, but makes no sense. You can give toddlers half a tab of Propecia and they would probably have great, long-term side effects. Can you compare those numbers with the Propecia clinical trials? Of course not!

All I said yesterday is that the two reference groups are vastly different. I'd like to see a study of two similar-aged groups with one taking 1 mg/day finasteride and the other taking 1.25 for four days and nothing the fifth day. But no such study exists to my knowledge.

D.

Deaner

Reaction score
Dude, you don't even know what DHT stands for. Don't start trying to scare people about dosages when you're not sure.