propecia versus proscar

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
I should probably know this, but why arent more people taking proscar if its effectivly a fifth of the cost of propecia? If its so much cheaper, i dont see what the harm would be unless there are alot more side effects, but i dont know enough to make a judgment on whether i should just switch from propecia to 1/5 proscar. Any opinions on whether i should make the switch?

Petchsky

Reaction score
Most people don't know about it, or talk on forums and exchange knowledge.

If you want to buy the same drug only cheaper then i would make the switch. 8)

Deaner

Reaction score
Or some are aware and like the peace of mind knowing you're getting 1mg gives you.

G

I take proscar (1mg) it is made by merck, in the same lab, to the same standard, by the same people, using the same equipment, with the same clinical effect as propecia, people who take propecia will be (assuming they will take it for the rest of their lives) working five time as long for Merck for the rest of their lives, suckers.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
silkeysmooth said:
If its so much cheaper, i dont see what the harm would be unless there are alot more side effects

Finasteride is Finasteride. Do you want to buy a gallon of milk (less cost per ounce) or would you prefer to have it packaged as 4 quarts (greater cost per ounce) to make it a little easier to handle? Either way it is milk.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
it isnt that simple asolof. I guess my question is whether there are other ingredients in proscar that are of no use to someone who is fighting hairloss, yet could cause side effects?

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is a couple of reason why people that use Propecia does not go over to Proscar. Some of the reason are the presrubration is for Propecia not Proscar. Other would the be that they don't want to get the drug online when they don't know if the people is safe to get or the real thing. Not knowing about it would be a factor. One last thing would be that Propecia is approve for hair loss and Proscar is not. Although it has the same thing but in different amount. The fact that Propecia is FDA approve for hair loss and Proscar is not. I know it sounds stupid but it's the peace of mind that you know it's going to work. It's a mind thing.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
silkeysmooth said:
it isnt that simple asolof. I guess my question is whether there are other ingredients in proscar that are of no use to someone who is fighting hairloss, yet could cause side effects?

The answer is no. Propecia's only active ingredient finasteride, Proscar's only active ingredient is finasteride. I.E it is the same thing. The one and only benefit of propercia over proscar is that it comes in 1mg tablets - ensures an even dosage.

But 1/4 Proscar is also an even dosage, so its basically boils down to paying more for less.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
silkeysmooth

So maybe Rage explained it better, but as you can see, it IS that simple!

G

Here is my take on this complicated subject. Merck do not market Proscar as a hairloss product because it comes in 5mg form. They do however market Propecia in 1mg form as a hairloss product becuase that is the optimal dose needed to have any affect.

By speaking nicley with your Dr explaining to him that they are both the same thing, if he is nice then he will prescribe Proscar to you. You then cut it down into 4. You will then get 3 times as much for your money.

Alternativley you could buy fruit pastels and cut them into 4. You still get 3 times for the money which is great and they are very tasty to boot. + when your girl touches the pastel she won't grow massive tits. It's your call.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
thankfully, it is. I didnt want to switch to proscar and find out that im going to have ball shrinkage, or something.

Cassin

Reaction score
silkeysmooth said:
thankfully, it is. I didnt want to switch to proscar and find out that im going to have ball shrinkage, or something.

Made the switch to Proscar a year ago after Propecia for 6 months. I would be a Que-Ball if it didn't work

Propecia = $62 a month

Proscar = $8.33 a month

Love me some medical insurance.....

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
may switch after i finish 1 year on propecia. am concerned though, ive often heard when youre cutting the pill into 5ths, the finasteride isnt exactly evenly divided throughout the pill. so you may be having slightly different doses every day. hormone stability and consistency is important i think in beating hairloss. dont want to have less finasteride some days than others. this is one thing thats holding me back.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
I understand though, that the pills are odd-shaped, so that cutting them evenly is difficult. How do you do that Cassin, and how essential do you guys think it is to get the exact 1mg dose?
Well, Cassin seems to be doing alright hormonal-wise, or i think we'd be calling him Cassie instead.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
*bad memories resurface from exams*

Here's a crash course in enzyme reaction kinetics, the effect of a drug on an enzyme is NOT linear. In the case of finasteride (competitive inhibitor), it is hyperbolic. After a certain dosage (who knows, lets say 0.5mg), the effects of more finasteride has a ever more decreased effect on dht production. Not to say that it becomes noneffective, there IS more dht-reductase inhibition, but each step up in finasteride intake yields less and less increase in inhibition. With 1mg finasteride, there is a 80% reduction in DHT production.. that's already quite high up on the curve.

But these reactions are based on concentration - so finasteride would have to be effective on a big guy not just a small one. So, I would assume 1mg is much more than is actually needed, 1.25mg is plenty, and probably down to 0.75mg is enought assuming you're not overly large.

And variation on dosage a problem? I don't think so - as stated above, these variations become very small due to the hyperbolic nature of the reaction.

kinetics.jpg

G

traxdata said:
You then cut it down into 4. You will then get 3 times as much for your money.

er...I think that should be 4 times as much for your money, traxdata stay behind for extra maths lessons

misterium

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

Well I've only been on finasteride for about a month now.. no strange side-effects going on that I can notice. I can still get a huge erection and blast serious nuts.

Anyway, I get 1 year worth of genuine Propecia from Merck, sent to my home directly 3 days after re-filling via phone, by Fed Ex... this is all free for a year due to the government program (look it up on Google.com) and Merck and my dermatologist (who I PAID a visit to a few months ago), and me filling out the application. It was easy.

Anyway, before I actually sent my application off to the dermatologist for him to complete and send to Merck for the approval/request, I purchased Proscar online from Worldwide Pharmacies Inc... and also a box style pill-cutter.

I was able to cut it into 5ths, with fairly little fuss. Some pieces were obviously smaller or larger than others.. however, I have read that with Finasteride, varying doses from day to day still produces quality results.

Anyway, I've got some Proscar left, but til my Propecia year supply runs out, I will just wait on using the Proscar, til I get my career started and get some insurance of course.

I myself feel that a huge reason for people choosing Propecia over Proscar, is that Proscar takes time to cut-up into sections.. and A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE TOO LAZY TO DO THAT... NO MATTER WHAT THE PRICE SAVINGS. I also feel there is somewhat of a 'placebo effect'.. a brand name tends to make people smile a lot more. Welcome to materialism & reality, of which I am a part of .. unfortunately.

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
iits probably a little harder ot just tell your Doctor to prescribe proscar when they know you dont have any issues with prostrate. Also, i think people are worried about the variation in the dosage when cutting the pills up. I know ive been worried about that, thats one of the reasons i havent switched.