propecia.. the long road to gyno surgery

silentsam

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am here to warn against the use of propecia. As somebody who did a lot of modeling and fitness, hair is important to me.. Or was.

I started propecia in late 08. After a few months on it I felt better about my hair. However, it was not many months in 2009 after this period that I began developing the symptoms of gynecomastia.
It was slight gland enlargement that puffed the nipple a little and gave pain.

I gave up. However… I always had pretty good hair and I was determined to fight. I jumped back on propecia and lowered the dose. Bad news: Another few months in 2011 of propecia and I felt the itching sensation in my nipples again.

My gland - that had bothered me since first taking propecia and getting initial gyno - grew on my right side over the course of a year to the size slightly shy of a tennis ball! And this time I was on propecia for only a week or two!

Anyway, I got off propecia - threw it out. I even tried a few weeks of saw palmetto… Same things.

All I was doing was messing with my hormones, dht, and my chest.

Now, funnily enough, my hair was my last worry! I would go out with it less than perfect and not care - because I was so concerned with my gyno sticking out from my shirts.

I am below 9% bodyfat, and to see puffy cone shaped breast on my right side poking out did not look good.

Long story cut short:

I had to have six thousand dollars worth of gyno surgery to remove the lumps.

I lived with the pain since 2008 first taking the drug - pain never went away. It was always a dull pain deep in my chest.

I tried nolvadex, letrozole - nothing helped with the gland due to already being enlarged.

I stabilized my hormones and just got the surgery. Best decision ever.

If this can help any of you decide against propecia - great.
Remember that just because you are deeply concerned about your hair does not mean you should do something drastic to your body and make you have regrettable, expensive concerns about more important things.

Now that my chest is fixed - as best as can be - I will look towards non hormonal shifting natural remedies for my hairloss. But no way will I throw my body at a drug because I want hair any longer.

I know not everyone will have these issues. But I have seen many more cases than the company selling the drug would care to admit. Gynecomastia.org has page after page dedicated to gyno from propecia. That isn't the 5% I have been hearing about prior to myself taking the drug.

Just be safe. Don't ruin your body.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I developed gyno about 2 years before I started taking Propecia (I'm pretty sure it was a different med that caused it, together with possible liver function problems) although mine doesn't sound near as bad as yours - a tennis ball size!

so I know how it can affect your self esteem - I hate summer because wearing T-shirts shows off my chest. Fortunately the finasteride didn't make it any worse. My plan is to lose some weight and then to work on toning up the pec muscles in the hopes that that will help - I can't afford surgery.

as for the percentage - a gyno forum is bound to have quite a number of people who have developed it from Propecia (or think they have), but you have to compare it to the number of people who take finasteride worldwide, which could be in the millions, who don't develop gyno.

I would say though, it's one side effect that if you experience, you should stop the finasteride right away.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
Can you get gyno that long after starting propecia? I thought if you were going to get Gyno it would happen immediately after starting the medication as your hormones are changing

abcdefg

Reaction score
There is a LOT we dont know about a whole lot of things going on in say the human body. Exactly how finasteride over the years causes the gyno is not a step by step process written down in a paper a lot of things going on are unknown or unpredictable. Maybe in most cases gyno happens soon after starting it, but I am sure its possible for it to appear years later. One reason I dont feel comfortable using propecia.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
gyno is a b**ch no doubt. finasteride exasperates my gyno, but that doesnt mean im going to drop it! many doctors say that the chances of gyno returning post surgery are slim. using gear it would be more likely but with finasteride not so much. i would try it again. drop it if it gives you any issue and keep anti Es on hand.

but your hair; your life

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
K I still haven't gotten a good answer on this. What are some good aromatase inhibitors? Both pharmaceuticals and supplements? I haven't experienced any gyno and don't think I should as I keep very low body fat and am very fit and active, but it still worries me. What should I pick up just in case?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Gynecomastia.org has page after page dedicated to gyno from propecia. That isn't the 5% I have been hearing about prior to myself taking the drug.

This does not in any way negate anything you wrote. Just wanted to address this statement. If 15 million people are taking a drug and 5% see side effects, that 750,000 people. Plenty to fill a web site with. So statements like this should be qualified. In fact I dare say you may see 100, 200, 500 reports on that site over a period of 5 years? That would equate to about 0.00005%. So using the "i heard it on the internet" logic as the gold standard for accuracy, one should instead be asking Merck why they *understated* the side effects percentage.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
out of interest, does anybody have any reliable figures on how many men worldwide use Propecia/Finasteride for male pattern baldness?

to the lost

Reaction score
if you get it, it starts with about 4 months after starting finasteride. but there where studies of people who went off and gyno got better (they went to normal).

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
480,000-500,000 men use Propecia. Impossible to say how many men use generic or proscar for male pattern baldness. You're welcome and you can rate this comment as helpful since you like playing around with that stuff.

Curious where you got these figures from?

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
Again no one answered my question?! What are some anti-E's and why don't people just take these if getting gyno?

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
because if finasteride is giving you gyno chance are its always going to (iirc its the side whose frequency increases with increased time used, unlike the others which decreased with increased time). you dont really want to use antiestrogens permanently. they are harsh drugs. go to the body building threads and read the things people say after being on a few weeks of an aromatase inhibitor.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
480,000-500,000 men use Propecia. Impossible to say how many men use generic or proscar for male pattern baldness. You're welcome and you can rate this comment as helpful since you like playing around with that stuff.

I said reliable figures - nothing from you is reliable