propecia, temples and uk!!!!

jammgym

Reaction score
what is the best thing to tackle receeding hairline at the temples, i have read there is no evidence that propecia improves this!

also if i do go on it, i am from the uk, what is the cheapest price people have found, and where from?

thanks guys.

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
For me, my hairline and frontal density continued to go to crap for 3+ years on just finasteride. Front was my main area of concern too. Fortunately, since starting minoxidil in Feb'03, I've had good regrowth and thickening in front. That sorta explains my minoxidil-first bias, aye? I think the 'pecia maintains my crown, minoxidil does the front.

Not sure about where to get finasteride in the UK.

"Increased Frontal Scalp Coverage and Frontal Hair Regrowth with 5% and 2% Minoxidil Topical Solution"
Elise A Olsen, M.D.; Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC; David A. Whiting, M.D.; University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX; Jeffrey J. Miller, M.D.; Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA

Frontal and vertex areas of the scalp in men with androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) were assessed and treated in the pivotal clinical studies with 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution. The efficacy and safety of 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution have been demonstrated in target areas on the leading edge of vertex balding in a 48-week, randomized, placebo-controlled study of men with vertex pattern 3, 4, 5, or 6 hair loss based on the Savin Male Pattern
and Density Scale (Olsen et al, 2002, in press).

Patients were instructed to apply 5% or 2% minoxidil topical solution or placebo to the frontal/parietal areas of the scalp twice daily.
In order to assess the effect of 5% and 2% minoxidil on change in frontal/parietal scalp hair coverage, an independent panel of 3 blinded experts retrospectively reviewed photographs of the frontal scalp from patients who participated in this study.

Photographs from 139 patients in the 5% minoxidil topical solution group, 142 patients in the 2% group, and 71 patients in the placebo group were reviewed and scored to determine changes in scalp coverage and central hair part width.

The photographs consisted of standardized, reproducible, digitized views of Polaroid photographs taken of the superior frontal/parietal scalp at baseline and at weeks 16 and 48. Change from baseline in scalp coverage was measured on a 7-point categorical scale. The
median of the Global Panel Review scores from the 3 independent reviewers was reported.

Scores for patients in both the 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution treatment arms at weeks 16 and 48 indicated significantly greater frontal scalp coverage compared to placebo (p<.001).

Frontal scalp coverage for 33% of patients in the 5% group, 15% in the 2% group, and 6% in the placebo group at week 16 was rated as moderately or greatly increased. At weeks 16
and 48, frontal scalp coverage rating scores were significantly higher for patients in the 5% minoxidil topical solution group compared with the 2% minoxidil topical solution and placebo groups (p<.001).

The findings of this retrospective analysis provide useful information for clinicians who monitor and treat patients with Androgenetic Alopecia.

Cassin

Reaction score
jammgym said:
what is the best thing to tackle receeding hairline at the temples, i have read there is no evidence that propecia improves this!

also if i do go on it, i am from the uk, what is the cheapest price people have found, and where from?

thanks guys.

During the FDA trials, neither Minoxidil nor Propecia were tested on the front. Vertex area only. I think a lot of people worry about this until they see for themselves it does work.

Were they not to work on the front, I would be bald from the end of the Vertex forward and so would a lot of guys here.

Now you must also consider there is no evidence that they don't work on the front.

jammgym

Reaction score
thanks for all the help, nut just oen more question (yeah right!).
so ive decided on a big three approach, but id like to know why i shouldnt add other treatments too...such as an antiandrogen? obviously money is a factor, but ignoring that :wink:

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil 'pecia and nizoral are likely to be all you'll need. If you're not satisfied with them after a year or so, then get funky with the less proven stuff. If you start with all sorts of things now you'll be stuck on a pain-in-the-*** daily routine and not know what's doing what.

If minoxidil/finasteride give you good regrowth and you're also using spironolactone or something, the spironolactone may not be adding anything to results, just more time and expense.

KeVlaR

Reaction score
Mikey said:
NilesTilden said:

i get my proscar from http://www.natural-hair.co.uk

very reliable, never had any problems and a decent price. 1 packet will last you around 5 months

:shock: 70 quid for a box of Proscar is not a decent price!

jammgym

Reaction score
NilesTilden said:
For me, my hairline and frontal density continued to go to crap for 3+ years on just finasteride. Front was my main area of concern too. Fortunately, since starting minoxidil in Feb'03, I've had good regrowth and thickening in front. That sorta explains my minoxidil-first bias, aye? I think the 'pecia maintains my crown, minoxidil does the front.

"Increased Frontal Scalp Coverage and Frontal Hair Regrowth with 5% and 2% Minoxidil Topical Solution"
Elise A Olsen, M.D.; Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC; David A. Whiting, M.D.; University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX; Jeffrey J. Miller, M.D.; Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA

Frontal and vertex areas of the scalp in men with androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) were assessed and treated in the pivotal clinical studies with 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution. The efficacy and safety of 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution have been demonstrated in target areas on the leading edge of vertex balding in a 48-week, randomized, placebo-controlled study of men with vertex pattern 3, 4, 5, or 6 hair loss based on the Savin Male Pattern
and Density Scale (Olsen et al, 2002, in press).

Patients were instructed to apply 5% or 2% minoxidil topical solution or placebo to the frontal/parietal areas of the scalp twice daily.
In order to assess the effect of 5% and 2% minoxidil on change in frontal/parietal scalp hair coverage, an independent panel of 3 blinded experts retrospectively reviewed photographs of the frontal scalp from patients who participated in this study.

Photographs from 139 patients in the 5% minoxidil topical solution group, 142 patients in the 2% group, and 71 patients in the placebo group were reviewed and scored to determine changes in scalp coverage and central hair part width.

The photographs consisted of standardized, reproducible, digitized views of Polaroid photographs taken of the superior frontal/parietal scalp at baseline and at weeks 16 and 48. Change from baseline in scalp coverage was measured on a 7-point categorical scale. The
median of the Global Panel Review scores from the 3 independent reviewers was reported.

Scores for patients in both the 5% and 2% minoxidil topical solution treatment arms at weeks 16 and 48 indicated significantly greater frontal scalp coverage compared to placebo (p<.001).

Frontal scalp coverage for 33% of patients in the 5% group, 15% in the 2% group, and 6% in the placebo group at week 16 was rated as moderately or greatly increased. At weeks 16
and 48, frontal scalp coverage rating scores were significantly higher for patients in the 5% minoxidil topical solution group compared with the 2% minoxidil topical solution and placebo groups (p<.001).

The findings of this retrospective analysis provide useful information for clinicians who monitor and treat patients with Androgenetic Alopecia.

thanks guys for all the answers, esp niles, some good info there. i was wondering today (its all i think about at the moment as im temping and the job is boring!) about you saying only minoxidil worked for you at the front...so after two yearx, when you have had the offset of regrowth, what then? will finasteride maintain that hair?
im worried that the only thing in my arsenal that willw ork is minoxidil which will only provide that two year offset.

also though the issue of finasteride working on the fornt is still questioned by some, does front mean temples or the bit inbetween the two temples, as my temples do not seem to be going backwards, more like widening so that the hair inbetween is going. will finasteride provide some protection for this?

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm at almost 16 months on minoxidil and results are still strong. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to keep a good portion of my regrowth for many years. My understanding is that minoxidil's 'offset' of growth can continue indefinitely, but doesn't interfere with the balding process. The 'offset' of growth doesn't have a time limit on it. You'll probably continue to lose hair without finasteride use, but in 5-10 years you may well still have a bit extra due to minoxidil.

If I start losing again in time, I'll probably try Lee's 15% xandrox or something else.

Finasteride won't maintain minoxidil hairs. I'd consider the front to be the entire hairline along the forehead, as well as a few inches back for diffuse thinners. I don't think there are any stats on finasteride's effectiveness for this area. I'm sure it can maintain the front for some, but probably has a considerably lower success rate than for the crown.

KeVlaR

Reaction score

Mikey

Established Member
Reaction score
really, well then please do show me where I can get it cheaper in the UK.

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
do a search on the net for cheap finasteride,I used to get mine shiped from the US its a lot cheaper as the pound is strong in the states
I used planetdrugstore.com got 90 proscar for a 145dollars thats about 90 quid for a years supply you dont need a prescription and have had no problems with customs
the only problem is they have just closed down,but you should be able to find it just as cheep so ask around this site for a recomendation

if you want rogaine the best price i found was a site call cheaprogaine.com
it cost abot 7pound vs £30 OTC in london
well hope that helps

kiwi
p.s. you could also look in the forum call propecia dumping ground on this site