Propecia: six months later with no progress

tony50

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm 50 and started to lose my hairline in my late 20's. By 40 my crown was almost completely bald and becoming nearly impossible to comb-over. I have the same baldness pattern as my father but he seems to have as much, if not just a little more hair than I right now. I used Minoxidil on & off for over 10 years and only saw my hair-loss slowing down a bit.

I have been taking Propecia for six months now and has not given me any negative side-effects at all. I take my pill every morning with breakfast.

After 2 months of Propecia I noticed 4 new coarse hairs (where there was only one thin hair) coming from my center forehead (where my hairline was 25 years ago), but I have noticed absolutely NO hair regain since. Then I recently started to take saw palmetto twice per day, and since Minoxidil cost 5x as much here in Europe I haven't added that to the stack (yet).

Question 1: Is there any likely added benefit in hair regrowth by adding saw palmetto (or saw palmetto plus Minoxidil) to Propecia?
Question 2: With all this being said do I have any reason to suspect this whole expensive hair-regrowth programme is likely not going to work, stop the prescription, and save 70.CHF ($60.USD) per month?

(Honestly, what are my probable chances at having a much fuller head of hair again in another 6-12 months? <5%?, >60%?)

thanx-

Patrick54

Established Member
Reaction score
You may want to look into Dutasteride it's much more powerful than finasteride. I'm having very good luck with it, it started regrowing hair at 2 months but I took a loading dose of 1.5 mgs for the first 10 days, at almost 4 months its turned the hair clock back 10 to 15 years and still regrowing hair.

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
you can't regrow hair generally speaking. you can only prevent it from further miniturizing/balding

Patrick54

Established Member
Reaction score
Rutt said:
you can't regrow hair generally speaking. you can only prevent it from further miniturizing/balding

Try Dutasteride and get back with me. :punk:

mothernature

Established Member
Reaction score
pro/dutasteride are designed primarily to STOP HAIR LOSS. Look at their mechanism. They are not growth stimulants. They will just stop miniturizing. Any "regrowth" u might get will be from a lack of androgen miniturizing a hair that was already growing.

Patrick54

Established Member
Reaction score
"Dutasteride's results were the "best" that has come to date, and even getting 50% hair counts better than Finasteride is great. Just think of the fact that this was only at 6 months.

Many expect that numbers will be even higher as the study continues to 12 months, 2 years etc. It's possible that over 50% of men will be getting moderate to dense
regrowth on Dutasteride, compared to the less than 25% of men who experience these results with Finasteride."