Propecia sides

savetheworld

Reaction score
hey guys
I just started to take propecia about a month ago, and I am experiencing a decreased sex drive. Don't get me wrong, I can still get it up but don't have morning wood or the excitement I did before. I have two questions, 1 - Do these side effects improve after time and has anyone experienced this? and 2 - Could it be that its all in my head?
Thanks for the help.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Could it be that its all in my head?

That is my belief about a lot of reported sides. The mind is
very powerful and that is the reason sugar pills work.

But this is coming from someone whose only sides are from using
too much 15% minoxidil. I can't think of many drugs where the
results are so scattered all over the page. Some it works for, some
it does not, some have sides, some do not. It's a mess really.

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
I told myself it was in my head for quite a long time. I really wanted that to be true. If it had been solely the act of intercourse that was affected then you could attribute it to performance anxiety feeding off fears that the drug would trouble my sexual health, but when you actually stop getting morning erections and completely lose libido for months at a time it begins to look increasingly unlikely that it's psychosomatic. No surprise I haven't had a proper relationship in the two years I've been on finasteride.

Despite this, I'm still on the drug. :/ Lowered my dose ths week to .25 mg, but it's still too early to say whether it's working. I'm buying some spironolactone in preparation for the worst - that the side-effects are still intolerable, even at a reduced dose. I really hope that spironolactone stuff is effective.

In answer to your questions,

1) Yes, it's possible, I've heard people say they suffered from side-effects that left after a month or two.

2) Of course it's possible, but, to me at least, an awareness that side-effects could be in your head precludes them actually being "in your head"! Does that make sense? Or maybe that's not how 'nocebo' effect work? Maybe it can still function despite an awareness of itself?

Rather, it suggests to me a desire so deep to see the medication work that you're willing to ascribe to yourself subconcious, irrational fears that the medication is causing the harmful effects, when in actual fact you aren't - it really is causing the harmful effects! That's what I think I did for a time. And to think I poked fun at the people who were claiming side-effects - probably to mask my own insecurity that I was experiencing them too!

helpmyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Stu85 said:
I told myself it was in my head for quite a long time. I really wanted that to be true. If it had been solely the act of intercourse that was affected then you could attribute it to performance anxiety feeding off fears that the drug would trouble my sexual health, but when you actually stop getting morning erections and completely lose libido for months at a time it begins to look increasingly unlikely that it's psychosomatic. No surprise I haven't had a proper relationship in the two years I've been on finasteride.

Despite this, I'm still on the drug. :/ Lowered my dose ths week to .25 mg, but it's still too early to say whether it's working. I'm buying some spironolactone in preparation for the worst - that the side-effects are still intolerable, even at a reduced dose. I really hope that spironolactone stuff is effective.

In answer to your questions,

1) Yes, it's possible, I've heard people say they suffered from side-effects that left after a month or two.

2) Of course it's possible, but, to me at least, an awareness that side-effects could be in your head precludes them actually being "in your head"! Does that make sense? Or maybe that's not how 'nocebo' effect work? Maybe it can still function despite an awareness of itself?

Rather, it suggests to me a desire so deep to see the medication work that you're willing to ascribe to yourself subconcious, irrational fears that the medication is causing the harmful effects, when in actual fact you aren't - it really is causing the harmful effects! That's what I think I did for a time. And to think I poked fun at the people who were claiming side-effects - probably to mask my own insecurity that I was experiencing them too!

Stu85, Let us know if your sides subside or not with the lowered dose of finasteride. I don't how people can say its all in their head when there are people experiencing complete impotence. Furthermore, erectile dysfunction is clearly stated as a possible side effect of finasteride. If it was all in their head, and watching p**rn without being able to achieve an erection, then something is definitely wrong. My advice to you, if your libido doesn't return to normal within a few weeks of the lowered dose, I'd say drop it all together as you may be doing more damage to your body then you know.