Propecia side effect: does watery semen = low sperm count?

MiniMe

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been taking generic propecia for about 8 months now. I'm pleased with the results on my hair because it already seems thicker. A couple of months ago I started noticing that sometimes my semen was significantly more clear, at first, I thought it was my imagination but came to realize it wasn't. I've since read that propecia could be responsible for this. I haven't been able to find out if clear semen means there's a decrease in sperm count. Does anybody know?

I don't really care if my semen is more clear, as long as I will still be able to reproduce as effectively.

Also, I hear that if I stop taking propecia, things should return to normal. But I'm wondering, is it safe for my reproductive future to continue using propecia? should I stop using it a while before I want to have kids? Any recommendations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
my trichological clinic told me i should stop taking propecia - i think it was 7 days - before planning a pregnancy.

MiniMe

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That's interesting. I wonder, was that recommendation so that to bring up your sperm count? Or (this may sound paranoid) is there a chance that Propecia can muck up your sperm and cause problems with the development of the child? (I highly doubt it but the thought has crossed my mind)

Also, just curious, how long have you been on Propecia? The reason I ask is because I'm curious to know if the 7 days applies regardless of how long you've been on the stuff.

Thanks again.

shineydome

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, first off, I'm not a Doctor...but I do know it's the testicles that produce the sperm...the body uses DHT to interact with the prostate to create the fluids that mix with the sperm in the ejac. The additional fluids are there to help the spermies get through the dangers in the vagina on its way to the final destination: EGG.

I read about the prostate here:

http://www.prostatecare.com/prostate/wh ... it_do.html

So, because you're on a finasteride, your prostate is producing less fluids and thus you're probably seeing mostly semen less the prostate produced fluids.

P.S. I had same problem, started taking L-Arginine...loads back to normal