Propecia shedding is supposed to last how long?

baldnotbeautiful

Reaction score
I started Propecia 1mg back on May 15th. Had no issues(other than a little testy pain the first week) until the middle of July when I felt like I was starting to experience a shed. Its now the beginning of Oct and I'm still shedding hair at a pretty decent rate. I feel like I had about 85% of my hair before propecia and now its down to about 60%. Anytime I run my hand through my hair about 10 or so hairs fall out...same with in the shower or just combing it. I don't know if this is considered an 'excessive' amount, but considering how it looked when I started in May and how it looks now I'd say its pretty excessive. And since its been like this since July and has shown no signs of slowing down. I went to see my derm last week about this and he didn't seem to believe me that I was shedding hair and he just said to stay on it for a few more months and to add rogaine and to re-evaluate at that point. I think I'm going to hold off on adding rogaine right now and just stick to propecia, mainly because I want to see if the shed stops as I hear rogaine can trigger a shed as well. But I'm worried I'm just going to lose more ground since shedding is not stopping at all. I have been losing my hair slowly for about 4years, and I've lost more hair in 3mths than I have in 4 years.

I keep telling myself its just a shed, its going to stop, the hair lost will return...but then I see threads where people arent getting any hair to return after their shed too.

So, I guess my question is a shed lasting 3months normal by any means? Everything I've read stated that if a shed does indeed occur its typically only for 4-6 weeks. I'm not sure whether or not to stick to it or get off of it right away. Any info or advice or anything to ease my mind is appreciated.

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
i'd say stick on it personally. my second shed probably lasted about 4 months... not full swing the whole time, but around that in total.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i'd say stick on it personally. my second shed probably lasted about 4 months... not full swing the whole time, but around that in total.

4 months!?! I'm only a 7 weeks into my second shed, was hoping for some resolution by the end of this month! BAAAAAAAAA!!! Suppose we all react different.