Propecia Shedding Associated with Increased Sex Drive?

mariaash

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been experiencing hair loss for about 1.5 years. I can almost remember the day the shedding started, and from there my hairline rapidly went higher, but only in the temples. Before that, I have always had a low hair line with thick and dense hair. I am now 21 and a half years old, and began using Propecia for about 1.5 month ago.
Right after I started taking propecia (1 mg/day), I experienced increased sex drive, increased oily skin. Almost right away I noticed a lot fewer hair in my hand in the shower, so propecia seemed like a miracle pill that did also increase my sex drive. However, for about 2 weeks now, I have started loosing a lot more hair than ever before, all the time. I am aware of that propecia used often experience an initial shedding, so that is not my concern.
What bothers me is that so many of them who experience reflex hyperandrogenicity from propeica is relatively young. Seeing that I still experience sex drive through the roof and oily skin, which both are signs of increased DHT levels, combined with the fact that so many who experience reflex hyperandrogenicity are young, isn't that kind of a bad sign, already 1.5 months into propecia?

Many thanks!

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No one can answer that for sure unfortunately. You should stop Propecia for a while seen as you're only 1.5 months into treatment and see how your oily skin and sex drive change over a period of a couple of weeks to a month.

For the first week or so my libido was through the roof and tbh it was very distracting when all you can think about is sex and/or masturbating, haha. Thankfully everything went back to normal since.

Good luck!

psyhotria

Banned
Reaction score
Seeing that I still experience sex drive through the roof and oily skin, which both are signs of increased DHT levels
No. Not increased DHT, it's increased T.You cannot have increased DHT while blocking the conversion from T to DHT (finasteride).However, obviously it's two steps forward and one step back, because oily skin is not indicative of good things - and, if you use your increased drive to do the one thing, you may well introduce some DHT back into your system via direct synthesis from the testicles, if I do not remember wrong.

mariaash

Reaction score
I know that increased sex drive can lead to that one thing, which again may lead to even more increase in sex drive, so I try not to overdo things. Anyway, is it really that uncommon to experience increased sex drive and increased oily skin in the beginning of propecia treatment? I know that we should not try to read too much from the effects propecia give the first months, because the body is getting used to the drug and such.
One important thing i should mention is that I am losing more hair now than before, but most of the increased hair loss is small hairs, often smaller than 1 inch. I also kind of see that my hair line have receded a tad more in the temples, but I think that is my own imagination. I do not think my hair can get visible worse in about 6 weeks.

Anyway, you do think I should contiune using propecia? This is not too uncommon, is it? Stopping using the pill for a while would most likely make me shed like before I started, and make my sex drive and skin back to normal.

mariaash

Reaction score
Ok, the shedding have really started now. It is kind of hard see more hairs in my hands than ever before, but I guess that is (a part of) the price for Propecia. I am 100 % sure my hair loss til now is genetic, and caused by high DHT levels. I have a very deep voice and manly face (I've been told!!) (which is signs of a high DHT level, right?), so it's time to kick down the DHT levels a bit. Hopefully I won't get crazy before the shedding stops in some months.

takenick2

Reaction score
wtf? right when i started finasteride, the shedding stopped immediately and the negative sexual sides came on immediately. seems this drug is having the opposite effect for you.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
wtf? right when i started finasteride, the shedding stopped immediately and the negative sexual sides came on immediately. seems this drug is having the opposite effect for you.

Everyone I've been in correspondences with noticed an increased sex drive when they started finasteride. It eventually tapers away as your body adjusts.

A

andrew lincoln

Yep, same thing here, I noticed it, but it went back down after the first month or so.

eshack

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm noticing the same thing (minus the oily skin, knock on wood). I just started treatment with finasteride 1.25mg a couple days ago and my sex drive seems to be significantly higher than normal (not that I need that!). Other than that, I've also noticed mild testicle pain that comes and goes (not really pain, but a weird sensation, like increased pressure).

S L R

Reaction score
I know that increased sex drive can lead to that one thing, which again may lead to even more increase in sex drive, so I try not to overdo things. Anyway, is it really that uncommon to experience increased sex drive and increased oily skin in the beginning of propecia treatment? I know that we should not try to read too much from the effects propecia give the first months, because the body is getting used to the drug and such.
One important thing i should mention is that I am losing more hair now than before, but most of the increased hair loss is small hairs, often smaller than 1 inch. I also kind of see that my hair line have receded a tad more in the temples, but I think that is my own imagination. I do not think my hair can get visible worse in about 6 weeks.

Anyway, you do think I should contiune using propecia? This is not too uncommon, is it? Stopping using the pill for a while would most likely make me shed like before I started, and make my sex drive and skin back to normal.
any update?
why always in thread like this,there is no update from the first replyer:sulkoff:
i'm in the same situation and i'dontknow what to do!
in first 2weeks of using finasteride,my libido has increased and I feel some weird feeling in my testicle.then its back to normal after a week!but now(fifth week) I am losing more(x2 or x3) hair than before!:wacko:
any suggestion?
finasteride 1mg daily!

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
If these are truly finasteride. sides they are sometimes known to dissipate eventually or disappear altogether. I am not a doctor so my advice here is to get yourself into a Doctor's office at your earliest convenience. Even the best approach (hair loss treatment ) has it's shortcomings. Above all please don't panic and you'll probably be fine. All my best.