Propecia sexual side-effects.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why would propecia give you sexual side-effects? I have read up on DHT and have read up on erections and there seems to be no correlation. I know DHT is present in the testes but the main culpret for achieving an erection excluding psychological factors is nitric oxides is it not? Also during the study on propecia didn't the placebo group experience sexual side-effects. Did Merk tell people in both procedures that you may experience sexual side-effects? Basically if I was to take propecia I couldn't care less about having less desire for sex. Lol as far as I'm concerned that will probably be a good thing. I am not too bothered about fatigue either. The only effect which concerns me is the potential difficulty in achieving an erection. So please could someone clear this up for me. I would like a scientific answers please (chemistry kid) but anecdotal responses are welcome as well.

G

No scientific answer here, but I am also unsure. Many users (Aplunk to name one) claim to have had no sexual sides on dutasteride but on finasteride even though dutasteride blocks more DHT than finasteride. So my theory is that another ingredient of Propecia is responsible for sexual sides. Maybe they find out one day which one it is and manage to create a Finasteride treatment without sexual sides. Who knows, just my speculation......

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride can't contain more than one ingredient because it is a molecule. So my theory is that it is a certain bond in finasteride. CCS?

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't got any scientific answers but I did get sides on finasteride. When I first got it I tried taking just half a tablet (0.5mg) and after a couple of days I started to get a dull ache in my balls. I could still get an erection but my libido was definitely lower. I think the reason people get impotence is down to loss of libido. My sides might have gone if I stuck with it for a bit longer but I just couldn't handle it so I stopped. The ache in the balls went after a day or two and my libido was back to normal. I then started finasteride again a few weeks later but only took 0.25mg. I haven't had any significant sides on this dosage but it doesn't appear to be doing much for my hair either. The only side effect I notice now is my seman is more watery than it used to be.

Pondle

Reaction score
I had no sides at all on finasteride. Then I switched to dutasteride EOD and my semen is definitely changed. Some days I get hardly any ejaculate volume at all. Others I'm back to normal. Very weird.

ugh

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that the increase in estradiol is responsible for lowering libido? I'm thinking of trying the finasteride+arimidex combo to see if I can counter the effects of increased estradiol by taking arimidex.

Pondle

Reaction score
ugh said:
Is it possible that the increase in estradiol is responsible for lowering libido? I'm thinking of trying the finasteride+arimidex combo to see if I can counter the effects of increased estradiol by taking arimidex.

Yes, but I'd be wary of taking Arimidex. You should talk to your doctor and get a prescription for it if you really want to go that route. I'm not sure how low it would drop your estrogen levels. Remember, estrogen is used by men to maintain bone density and abnormally low estrogen levels are risky.

ugh

Established Member
Reaction score
Your right, if I did go the arimidex route my routine would have to be monitored by an doctor. But you do agree that excess estradiol is responsible for low libido, erection difficulties?

Pondle

Reaction score
ugh said:
Your right, if I did go the arimidex route my routine would have to be monitored by an doctor. But you do agree that excess estradiol is responsible for low libido, erection difficulties?

That seems to be the consensus, from what I've read. But I'm just some guy on an internet forum, I'm not a doctor or a biochemist. :)