Propecia Questions & General Stuff

Wonko

Reaction score
Hey folks. NW2 Recessing Hairline. I've got some questions I've never heard asked/addressed.

1. Are there any factors that predisposes a person to propecia working or not working etc. EX. People with Red Hair tend to respond better than people with Brown hair. Or, maybe age plays a factor in how well propecia will work. The older you are, the less effective propecia is likely to be.

2. Another question is it's taken me four years to go from regular hair line into a NW2. I had one of those weird low hairlines years ago. I have a theory. This DHT stuff is at a lower level, so it takes longer. Or that DHT stuff is just as leathal in me as in everybody else, it just moves slower up the scalp in my case. It's gotta vary from person to person...

3. It's a fairly obvious I received my hair from a certain side of the family(very thick, dense, dark etc). But It seems my hairline came from the other side of the family. I find this quite odd.

4. How long can I expect propecia & Rogaine to be effective, if they work. Propecia works by lowering those pesky DHT levels, but is there a gradual loss of effectiveness over time? Do DHT levels eventually come back up after using the drug for a number of years? Does DHT adapt like the Borg and eventually win? Is resistance futile?

Thanks for any info!

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
The true answer is that there is no answer. Just take the stuff and see what happens.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Wonko said:
1. Are there any factors that predisposes a person to propecia working or not working etc. EX. People with Red Hair tend to respond better than people with Brown hair. Or, maybe age plays a factor in how well propecia will work. The older you are, the less effective propecia is likely to be.
Propecia tends to work best for those with diffuse thinning versus temple recession. Propecia tends to work better in the top and back than in the front, however it works remarkably well in the front. Hair color, style, don't play a role. Age only plays a role in the sense that the longer the hairs have been gone, the harder it is to "revive" them. You can usually maintain any "hair bearing" areas with Propecia though.

2. Another question is it's taken me four years to go from regular hair line into a NW2. I had one of those weird low hairlines years ago. I have a theory. This DHT stuff is at a lower level, so it takes longer. Or that DHT stuff is just as leathal in me as in everybody else, it just moves slower up the scalp in my case. It's gotta vary from person to person...
It varies from person to person both in speed of loss, severity of loss, and pattern of loss.

3. It's a fairly obvious I received my hair from a certain side of the family(very thick, dense, dark etc). But It seems my hairline came from the other side of the family. I find this quite odd.
Why? You are after all the product of two family lines :) The combination of them.

4. How long can I expect propecia & Rogaine to be effective, if they work. Propecia works by lowering those pesky DHT levels, but is there a gradual loss of effectiveness over time? Do DHT levels eventually come back up after using the drug for a number of years? Does DHT adapt like the Borg and eventually win? Is resistance futile?
It depends on how well you respond and how long it works for you, but the majority of responders continued to respond well into the 7th year of the Propecia trials ... on Propecia alone. Maybe well past 10 years. I haven't seen the data. Add Rogaine to the picture and maybe significantly longer. Your real challenge should be expecting, mentally preparing for, and riding out the sheds that may come. Sheds are the reason for 99% of the failures out there. People get freaked out and give up.

Good Luck

HairLossTalk.com