Propecia/Proscar Mixup. Please Help!

Vic_Vega

Reaction score
Hello.

I just finished 8 months on finasteride so I went to get my prescription refilled. The first 4 month prescription I had was for Propecia, but when I got it filled the second time I was given Proscar. I didn't really think much of it, except when I went to get my new prescription today I asked for Propecia instead of Proscar as it was easier to cut into quarters. The pharmacist asked me why I was cutting the Propecia into quarters when it only comes in a 1mg dose. I was quite confused, as I was pretty sure when I first started on Propecia I was getting 5mg tablets which I was cutting up. My doctor explained to me beforehand that I would have to cut them into quarters and I'm absolutely positive that's what the package and information booklet instructed.

So my question is this... is there such thing as 5mg Propecia tablets? Had I been taking them or had I really been taking 1mg tablets (making my daily dosage only 0.25mgs)? If this is the case, it would be quite upsetting as it would mean the first four months were a waste (which would explain why I've had little to no regrowth). I paid the same price both times (and now the third) when I got my prescription filled. Does anyone have any information concerning this? FYI: I live in Canada.

Thanks.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No, proscar is 5mg and propecia is 1mg. So if you were cutting propecia into 4ths then you were only getting .25mg

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about it, you still get some benefit from taking 0.25mg a day. Just check now and make sure you're either taking 1mg Propecia a day or 1/4 Proscar a day, which means 1.25mg a day.

Just out of curiosity, what shape does proscar come in? Is it the same shape as propecia?

Vic_Vega

Reaction score
No, Proscar is not the same shape as Propecia. Propecia has a nice uniform shape which makes it ideal for cutting into quarters. Proscar has a bit of an obscure shape, hard to describe... very hard to cut up (If only there were an easier way).

As far as the prescription is conerned... I don't even know what to say.