Propecia-Only useful for 10 years?

ASUknowit18

Reaction score
I am 21 and in my second month on Propecia. I hardly have any hair loss, but my genetics are horrible (Grandpa on moms side very bald, dad pretty bald, dad's dad had hair, but still pretty bald on top) and I did notice a little bald spot appearing. My hair used to be so thick, but then I noticed I lost that thickness. I got my haricut in 2001 and my barber said "I don't want to say you are losing your hair, but you are thinning out." I waited a little bit after that comment, noticed that my hair looked thinner when I got out of the shower, then about a year later I got the prescription for Propecia.

I figure Propecia will work very well for me, as I have minimal hair loss and I am young. I would like to fill in my "monkey bump" if possible, but I am not that concerned with regrowth. I want to maintain.

As I have been researching, I have noticed some posters on this board say that Propecial losses it's effectiveness after 10 years...is this true? It isn't that big of deal if it is true, b/c I am thinking I will take Propecia until something better comes along...but It's better keep all the hair I have. Is this a proven fact or speculation?

Also, I did a search for the cheapest sites to get propecia...can someone just give me a cheap reputable one? That would be greatly appriciated.

G

I know guys who said propecia worked for them for anywhere from
3 to 5 years. I don't know anyone who has had success with it for
more then 5 years.

It did not work for me at all :(

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Nobody know's quite how long it works for because there haven't been any tests beyond 5 years, if you get 10 years out of it I'd say that is pretty good considering that there will be better solutions out then.

Fight the fight Jack

Axon

Reaction score
I know of two 8 year users. One is Spencer Korbin, the other does not post on this site.

But they are out there.

morphuesX

Reaction score
forget abt 10 years..ill be happy if it worked for 3-4 years!!! :roll:

Jack_The_Lad

The merck trial i think went on (going on??) for 7 years and the trail participants continued to have hair count higher than the baseline

scottp999

Reaction score
In my 6th year of proscar or avodart. Works great at stopping hair loss but adding in minoxidil really gave me regrowth.

Took proscat Aug 1998 to Dec 11 2002, Avodart Dec 12th to now.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
FolliclesDontDie said:
I know guys who said propecia worked for them for anywhere from 3 to 5 years. I don't know anyone who has had success with it for more then 5 years.

What does it actually MEAN when you guys say something "works" for you for x number of years, or you've "had success" for x number of years? Wouldn't something still be "working" for you, even if it only slowed down your hairloss?

Bryan

G

In terms of staying above baseline, 5 years would be good...10 years would be a blessing.

Axon

Reaction score
badasshairday said:
In terms of staying above baseline, 5 years would be good...10 years would be a blessing.

Agreed. 10 Years would just be unreal for me....