propecia no regrowth and shedding lot of miniaturized hair.

devilhunter

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post, and I'm 23 years old. Ive been taking propecia for 6 months now, my regime is as follows:
0.3mg 1 x a week for 2 weeks
0.3mg 2 x a week for 2 weeks
0.3mg 3 x a week for 2 weeks
0.5mg 1 x a week for 2 weeks
0.5mg 2 x a week for 2 weeks
0.5mg 3 x a week for 2 weeks
0.75mg 1 x a week for 2 weeks
0.75mg 2 x a week for 2 weeks
0.75mg 3 x a week for 2 weeks
1mg 3 x a week for 2 weeks
1mg 4 x a week for 2 weeks
1mg 5 x a week for 2 weeks
1mg 6 x a week for 2 weeks
1mg 7 x a week for....

I experienced side effects when I started the treatment; however, they wear off. In addition, the shedding occurred in a month of so after starting the treatment. On top of that, I used to shed about 40+ hairs every day, my scalp is visible now and there are lot of spots. Moreover, I'm shedding lot of miniaturized hair, in fact, much more than normal hair, I also feel scalp itchiness occasionally . In addition to that, I kept losing about 15-30 hair in the early months, which shows some improvements. Also, there is no regrow whats so ever and I'm considering quiting the medication, since I'm not responding to it in a good way. I should also note that I started weight lifting 5-6 months ago, I don't take any steroids etc, but I take Omega-3 fatty acids and Priorin Extra ( expensive hair vitamins), also I should note that my uncle is the only member in the family ( father's side) who is experiencing male pattern baldness, and my mom!, yes she is losing her hair in a diffuse pattern much similar to me. At last, I should note that Ive taken 4.5 packs of propecia so far ( each has 28 pills or so),and I noticed that almost all of fallen hair have a bigger diameter at base regions.

progosu

Reaction score
some people have to wait 2 years to see good results

btw, why would you take "expesinve hair vitamins"? it's a waste of money. it doesn't do anything if you're suffering from male pattern baldness and your Priorin Extra is about billion times worse than super inexpensive Opti-Men.

devilhunter

Reaction score
some people have to wait 2 years to see good results

btw, why would you take "expesinve hair vitamins"? it's a waste of money. it doesn't do anything if you're suffering from male pattern baldness and your Priorin Extra is about billion times worse than super inexpensive Opti-Men.

Hi, thank you for your reply, I would like to also note Im taking a different hair vit man, which is significantly cheaper. Also, I'm not sure whether the hair I'm losing is turning into a miniaturized hair, if this is the case, Im pretty much screwed. At last, I'm not sure whether to add dutasteride and/or minoxidil to the regime, furthermore, shedding is a sign that propecia is working; however, It doesnt seem its working properly and I have no idea why there is no regrowth! and I keep sheding miniaturized hair at a much higher rate now.
Regards and thank you all.

progosu

Reaction score
I don't believe in any shedding from finasteride, it doesn't make sense at all.

progosu

Reaction score
yeah, it takes at least few months for finasteride to start working, so you just answered yourself

devilhunter

Reaction score
I would like to know how does the new grown hair looks like? Please help me out, I would appreciate your help.
Regards.

devilhunter

Reaction score
By the way guys, how much hair is expected to recover? For example, Im 23 years old, and should I expect my hair to become as thick as when I was 21 or 20?

Sensie

Reaction score
In my almost two years of finasteride , what ive learned is that you will still lose hair, your hair will thin significantly then stabilize at that very thin point for a little bit . I stopped taking it for 6 days and hairs would fall out just sitting on the couch or without me even touching my head. I lost 70% of my baseline density since i started , now i have wispy thin finasteride hair, completely visible scalp and bald spots ....it really really sucks .

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
In my almost two years of finasteride , what ive learned is that you will still lose hair, your hair will thin significantly then stabilize at that very thin point for a little bit . I stopped taking it for 6 days and hairs would fall out just sitting on the couch or without me even touching my head. I lost 70% of my baseline density since i started , now i have wispy thin finasteride hair, completely visible scalp and bald spots ....it really really sucks .

I think it's different for everybody, but my situation is the same as yours. Since I started finasteride my hair has diffused (within 3 months of starting) to the point where I can see my scalp through the hair- it looks really bad when my hair is wet. I wish I hadn't started using it, but it's too late now.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
:sad: yes..same here...

devilhunter

Reaction score
I think it's different for everybody, but my situation is the same as yours. Since I started finasteride my hair has diffused (within 3 months of starting) to the point where I can see my scalp through the hair- it looks really bad when my hair is wet. I wish I hadn't started using it, but it's too late now.

Slap a minoxidil 2% and a keto 2% shampoo, Ive already started taking minx, Ive also noticed that Im losing much more thin/miniaturized hairs than normal/terminal hair, which might be a good sign; however, if nothing works, dutasteride is the last line of defense.
regards.

- - - Updated - - -

Im really sorry to hear that, Im in, fact, experiencing your feelings, we are I guess in the same boat mate!. Could you please specify your age and whether you take some protein/hormone etc. Also, what is your life style routine ? gym, sports etc.

devilhunter

Reaction score
Update: I think my shedding has been halted, I; however, keep shedding vellus hair, I also had slapped a 2% minoxidil a week ago.In addition, a scalp burning sensation has gone and some of fallen hair have a dark circular mass at its end (normally a white end). At last, I have a question regarding vellus hair, do they ever become a terminal hair ?
Regards, and thank you all for your efforts, I do really owe you much.

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
You added minoxidil in the midst of everything that will change the dynamics. Your shedding stopped most likely due to minoxidil. minoxidil initially stops shedding altogether but then comes the period of agony when in about 3 to 4 weeks or so, there will be exacerbation of shedding for several days or weeks before minoxidil effects stabilize. You should have given enough time for finasteride. to work or stabilize before adding anything new. Keep us posted.

devilhunter

Reaction score
You added minoxidil in the midst of everything that will change the dynamics. Your shedding stopped most likely due to minoxidil. minoxidil initially stops shedding altogether but then comes the period of agony when in about 3 to 4 weeks or so, there will be exacerbation of shedding for several days or weeks before minoxidil effects stabilize. You should have given enough time for finasteride. to work or stabilize before adding anything new. Keep us posted.

Hi, I used to shed like about 40-50 hairs after few weeks of taking propecia, and then the shedding kept decreasing by time, I dont think that taking minoxidil. for less than a week can do such impact. Anyways, Im going to keep this post updated, and I do really hope that a great portion of thin/tiny hair becomes a terminal hair, I might be dreaming tho :d.
regards.

devilhunter

Reaction score
So far, Im noticing a very weird thing, I kept my hair long, so I can have a better evaluation of my thinning hair, here is a list of what Ive found.

1-Shedding a less than a Millie-meter long vellus hair, Ive never seen those before.
2-Shedding what looks like a terminal hair, but short ones.
3-Shedding around 20-30 vellus aka miniaturized hair daily.
4-Shedding around 10-15 terminal hair (7 cm long hair), sometimes more, sometimes less.
5-No scalp inflammation, itchiness and an oily scalp anymore.
6-No regrowth yet.

Judging from previous results, there are two possibility:

a) My hair treatments dont work, and male pattern baldness is working on turning terminal hair into vellus hair.

b) It is working But at a very slow rate.

c) Slowing down the process! as my hair remained the same for about two years before start taking propecia 1mg.

At last, Im very sorry for crying out, and for being impatient, I tried to accept the fact Im balding, I did shave my head by a razor, things went very bad, as I looked like bane from batman which isnt funny
face-icon-small-tongue.gif
. Please help if you can and share your experience.
Regards.

devilhunter

Reaction score
Update: Ive added rogain 5% foam to the mix, I'm experiencing more shedding or short terminal hair and vellus/miniaturized hair. So far there are some thin sprouting hair that fall after a while.

Fatherbalding17

My Regimen
Reaction score
Late bump. Going through something similar where I have itchiness and am shedding thinner hair. The shedding is not as bad as it was earlier; but hoping to see if it worked out. The shed for me began at around the three month mark, which isn't the only positive thing I feel I have going for me considering that's when people say it's supposed to start. Any reassurance would be appreciated.