Propecia n' side effects...

jeffsss

Reaction score
I recently aquired a perscriptioin for propecia from my derm...

but after reading all the side effects i'm actaully pretty pariniod about injesting this drug..

erectile disfunction? ejaculation problems and enlarged breasts!!????

how real are these side effects?? what % of people do they really effect??

I'd rather be bald then have boobs..

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In the very minute chance you do get enlarged breasts, you probablly will not have D sized boobs. I'd keep the C cup bra handy though!

kidding..you'd just get a little extra fat in the chest in the unlikley event that you get gyno.

amrod

Established Member
Reaction score
propecia wrecked my sex drive but it sounds like im in the minority

i went down to 1mg every other day and it seems to be better for it

G

I dont know if its possible, but it sems like finasteride has actually increased my sex drive.

Baldie

Established Member
Reaction score
draevin said:
I dont know if its possible, but it sems like finasteride has actually increased my sex drive.

Mine too!

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
amrod said:
propecia wrecked my sex drive but it sounds like im in the minority
Man you guys kill me. Lets rephrase this sentence. It is missing some important information. I don't want newbies to read it and go into a state of panic:

"I took too much Propecia and it wrecked my sex drive. The only reason I am in the minority is because I didn't take the recommened dose of 1mg daily. I was splitting my Proscar (5mg) into 4ths and taking 1.25mg daily instead. This is well known to result in increased chance of side effects."

Rephrase: "I decided to take the dose you're actually supposed to take and now I have no side effects. Maybe I shouldn't even have posted in this thread."

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
draevin said:
Propecia inhibits the binding of Testosterone with the 5-alpha reductase enzyme which usually bind to create DHT. Since there is no binding there is excess Testosterone in your system during the first few weeks to months. This results in increased sex drive, sometimes a little oily face, etc. This is typically followed by a noticeable decrease in sex drive ... but ultimately your body will reach equilibrium again and you'll be fine.

HairLossTalk.com

G

Makes sense, Ive only been on it 3 weeks now and already had oily skin but even more oily now. I hope youre wrong about the "typically followed by a noticeable decrease in sex drive" part though. :freaked:

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
I take propecia on a daily basis and I have noticed a distinct increase in my sex drive over the past 3 years I've been on the drug. I'm 24 now, technically past my prime sexual point, but I still need it several times a day. My girlfriend is quite pleased.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
There is a very large mental component to your sex drive (at the risk of benig obvious). I wouldn't be surprised if someone who is depressed about his hair loss, finds his sex drive improved once he knows he's doing something about it. It can help you relax, especially if all you want is to maintain what you have.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Its definitely a real thing versus mental. And I venture to say that the stronger your sex drive is during the first few weeks the harder you'll fall in the weeks afterwards.

Before you freak out and come here saying Propecia destroyed your sex drive (and forget to mention you've only been on it for 2 months at the time)... please remember that this is normal. It will return. Just give your body time.

HairLossTalk.com

hairfin

Established Member
Reaction score
ive been on 1.25 every other day, its pretty numby at the mo, im hopin in a few weeks itl be back to normal

shitimbald

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
I was splitting my Proscar (5mg) into 4ths and taking 1.25mg daily instead. This is well known to result in increased chance of side effects."

Is this true? I had similar concerns at first but I was told that taking 1.25mg daily instead of 1mg shouldn't make a difference.

I know many people are going the 1/4 proscar way but I'm still not sure if that's what I should do or take Propecia instead.

I was also considering taking 4 1/4 proscar on a 5 day cycle, which would amount to the same amount of finasteride taken every 5 days.

shitimbald

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
amrod said:
Rephrase: "I decided to take the dose you're actually supposed to take and now I have no side effects."
HairLossTalk.com

??? Since when are you supposed to take 1 mg every other day?

nasdak

Reaction score
I'm in my 7th month of taking propecia and i have not had any side effects. after a few weeks taking it, i noticed my hairloss slow considerably, but still saw a few hairs when shampooing and gelling daily. recently quit smoking and now my hairloss has come to a halt. i might find 1 or 2 hairs on my hands but that's it. usually i find none. another added benefit of quitting.

SE-freak

Reaction score
hairschmair said:
There is a very large mental component to your sex drive (at the risk of benig obvious). I wouldn't be surprised if someone who is depressed about his hair loss, finds his sex drive improved once he knows he's doing something about it. It can help you relax, especially if all you want is to maintain what you have.

right on target.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
Before you freak out and come here saying Propecia destroyed your sex drive (and forget to mention you've only been on it for 2 months at the time)... please remember that this is normal. It will return. Just give your body time.

HairLossTalk.com

Precisely what I experienced 2 years ago. Give it time, it should pass.

handyc7

Reaction score
so now i would like to get this straight? If you take less than the recommended dosage, i.e. 1 mg every other day, does this increase the chance of side effects. Because this year i began to take 1 mg every other day and 4 months later is when i first experienced side effects. for the first four years i took 1 mg every day with no side effects.