Propecia maintain or thicken existing hairs?

Axl15

Reaction score
i was just thinking . . when they say propecia dosnt grow hair just maintains. Does that mean that your existing hair that was getting attacked by DHT get thicker and stronger (miniturized hairs) or do they stay the same size?. Cause if i can get those hairs back to their true thickness i would need to have a growth topical.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
That's certainly possible - it's different for everyone. Most will advise, if you have caught your loss early, that you start with Propecia and give it 6 to 12 months. After that time, evaluate your situation and see if you need to add something else - usually minoxidil. The idea is you start with the most effective treatments first so you don't end up making a commitment to something you don't need. Applying minoxidil twice a day is a massive pain in the *** and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary, in my opinion.

SnowRider22

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with skaff. Who wants to apply a topical twice a day for the rest of their lives? Stick with finasteride for a year and see how it does, if you want more add in minoxidil, that is exactly what I am doing.