Propecia long term effectiveness

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jd_uk said:
wow, adds even mpre weight to the 'just shave it off'philosophy. if finasteride only lasts a handful of years and can make your hair even more sensitive, as well as the reducedhormone levels then i'm pretty put off it.

No, you don't have to accept that philosophy. You can avoid this by using a topical DHT inhibitor. You minimize/eliminate side effects that way by not screwing around with your internal hormones the effects should last the rest of your life without decline because according to the theory your body starts to adapt to the change in DHT levels by making the androgen receptors more sensitive. By applying a topical solution you go straight to the DHT in the scalp and avoid having your body to adapt to any change in DHT levels. This is why everyone should look favorably on topical solutions.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok, but what is your reasoning? I know it's probably less convenient than popping a pill once everyday. But if using a topical meant long term success as well as no side effects then wouldn't it make sense to sacrifice a few more minutes of your time each day to apply a topical instead? Also, please don't debate and say it's bogus if you don't have a good reason to back it up.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No....you don't want to respond because you don't have an answer otherwise you'd be eager to share it. This is an open forum.....there are no "turns" here. Besides, even if it was then it would make sense that you go first since you responded to my comment first. It should be obvious that I was responding to both of you. Looks like to me that you're trying to indirectly point out that it's 2vs1 which does not make you right.

wilderness20

Reaction score
No...he has a valid point. I don't have pertinent data and thus my comment is null. I haven't tried topicals but i've been on finasteride for 4 months with no sides save shedding...but from what I've been told, the shed hair should come back. I am sticking it out..but unsure if I should be doing anything additional.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I can't find it now...but one of the users on a different hairloss forum did blood work before he started topical finasteride, and then again 3 months after. Turns out the topical finasteride inhibited his body's DHT by 70%.

I'll try to find it later, but it's 3AM right now, and I'm going to hit the sack.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rawtashk said:
I can't find it now...but one of the users on a different hairloss forum did blood work before he started topical finasteride, and then again 3 months after. Turns out the topical finasteride inhibited his body's DHT by 70%.

I'll try to find it later, but it's 3AM right now, and I'm going to hit the sack.

Yea, and that's something you want to avoid. If you go straight to the problem via topical solution you keep your DHT levels in tact and stop only the DHT attacking your follicles. As a result, you minimize/avoid side effects and avoid having to deal with the worry of your Finasteride medication losing effectiveness over time.

wilderness20

Reaction score
ripple-effect said:
Rawtashk said:

Yea, and that's something you want to avoid. If you go straight to the problem via topical solution you keep your DHT levels in tact and stop only the DHT attacking your follicles. As a result, you minimize/avoid side effects and avoid having to deal with the worry of your Finasteride medication losing effectiveness over time.

Interesting stuff. Can you use topical and finasteride? I am tolerating the finasteride without sides (as far as i know)....would simultaneously using topical androgen blockers help reduce DHT? What are effective topical solutions? BTW I am simultaneously experiencing really bad dandruff, i am sure it is related to the stress in my life and subsequent Telogen Effluvium/male pattern baldness. Any suggestions for topical would be helpful. I was thinking about using Nizoral as a shampoo but am afraid of increasing the shedding I am already getting from finasteride.....

Rawtashk

Reaction score
You guys aren't getting it...topical finasteride had the same effect on the body's internal hormones (since it was bloodwork) as taking it internally.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ripple-effect said:
Rawtashk said:

Why have you blatantly avoided and ignored what Rawtashk said above about how topical finasteride had the same systemic effect on DHT as oral finasteride in that user? :dunno:

wilderness20

Reaction score
Bryan said:
ripple-effect said:
Rawtashk said:

Why have you blatantly avoided and ignored what Rawtashk said above about how topical finasteride had the same systemic effect on DHT as oral finasteride in that user? :dunno:

I understand that man. I was just inquiring as to whether or not one should do both. I am recovering from an injury which was the catalyst for my hair loss (Telogen Effluvium/male pattern baldness) in the first place. I am wondering if 1.25 mg of Generic finasteride daily may not be enough on its on....

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ah I see, I did not realize that you said "topical finasteride" in the first post.

Topical finasteride does get systemically absorbed into the body, but when I am referring to topical DHT inhibitor solutions I am referring to natural solutions not synthetic solutions. I am obviously not an advocate of Finasteride in any way(oral or topical).

abcdefg

Reaction score
Topicals have the down sides of being a royal pain to use if your not a Norwood 7 and have lots of hair still. A topical version of finasteride would depend on how its delivered topically whether its absorbed or not. I mean making your own home brew is a little different then a well researched tested delivery mechanism like commercial grade.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wilderness20 said:
Interesting stuff. Can you use topical and finasteride? I am tolerating the finasteride without sides (as far as i know)....would simultaneously using topical androgen blockers help reduce DHT? What are effective topical solutions? BTW I am simultaneously experiencing really bad dandruff, i am sure it is related to the stress in my life and subsequent Telogen Effluvium/male pattern baldness. Any suggestions for topical would be helpful. I was thinking about using Nizoral as a shampoo but am afraid of increasing the shedding I am already getting from finasteride.....

Yes, I would highly recommend using Nizoral as well. Yes, I believe it would be more effective if you used a topical DHT inhibitor in addition to Propecia since Propecia is only proven to restore the vertex of your scalp.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Topicals have the down sides of being a royal pain to use if your not a Norwood 7 and have lots of hair still. A topical version of finasteride would depend on how its delivered topically whether its absorbed or not. I mean making your own home brew is a little different then a well researched tested delivery mechanism like commercial grade.

lol abc, what good would it be then to use if you were a Norwood 7? Topical DHT inhibitors can't recover dead follicles. You want to use it ASAP while your follicles are still alive.

wilderness20

Reaction score
ripple-effect said:
wilderness20 said:

Yes, I would highly recommend using Nizoral as well. Yes, I believe it would be more effective if you used a topical DHT inhibitor in addition to Propecia since Propecia is only proven to restore the vertex of your scalp.

Thanks for the nizoral suggestion. I actually had some old nizoral lying around so I just used it.

How long does it take for your follicles to die? Is it likely that mine are still alive after a year and just going through the miniaturization process? What topical would you recommend? I am committed and willing to do whatever I can at this point. My exercise is limited as I am recovering my a back injury but I still plan on dieting, recently started meds for anxiety and think I might try a topical growth agent. Is Rogaine my best bet or can I try something else?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:

As I've mentioned numerous times over the years, the results of various studies testing topical finasteride (using similar hydroalcoholic vehicles, all formulated by doctors) have been all over the map!! Sometimes they work reasonably well, sometimes they don't work at all, sometimes they work just a little tiny bit (and generally with systemic absorption, I might add).

Long ago, I threw my hands up in the air, and gave up trying to understand what's happening with topical finasteride. It makes no sense at all.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wilderness20 said:
ripple-effect said:
wilderness20 said:

Thanks for the nizoral suggestion. I actually had some old nizoral lying around so I just used it.

How long does it take for your follicles to die? Is it likely that mine are still alive after a year and just going through the miniaturization process? What topical would you recommend? I am committed and willing to do whatever I can at this point. My exercise is limited as I am recovering my a back injury but I still plan on dieting, recently started meds for anxiety and think I might try a topical growth agent. Is Rogaine my best bet or can I try something else?

You need to make sure that bottle of Nizoral is not expired. They usually expire after 2 years. Rogaine is not your best best because it does not stop hair loss. It only stimulates new hair growth via an unknown mechanism.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, it basically means if you want to save your hair for the longest amount of time then use minoxidil/Propecia combo.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You can't look at natural and synthetic in the same way. By using a natural topical you are not affecting DHT production elsewhere in the body and as a result there are no systemic side effects. It is not like a finasteride topical where it is affected whether you take it orally or topically. Also a finasteride topical doesn't prevent the attachment of DHT to the hair follicles. But it has been proven that there are natural ingredients that can block the DHT receptors and inhibit the 5ar enzyme as well hindering the production of DHT. I notice your regimen consists of an all natural topical so I don't know why I'm debating with you...lol. Is it not working for you?