Propecia-induced spermatogenic failure: A report of two case

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Another case study on finasteride and infertility. Commence brouhaha.
hh

Fertil Steril. 2007 Dec 3 [Epub ahead of print]Click here to read Links
Propecia-induced spermatogenic failure: A report of two cases.
Liu KE, Binsaleh S, Lo KC, Jarvi K.

Division of Reproductive Sciences, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Toronto, Reproductive Biology Unit, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada.

OBJECTIVE: To describe the results of two cases of azoospermia and severe oligospermia in men during and after cessation of finasteride 1 mg. DESIGN: Case report. SETTING: Tertiary-care hospital-based clinic for andrology/male infertility. PATIENT(S): Two patients with azoospermia and severe oligospermia using finasteride 1 mg for hair loss. INTERVENTION(S): Discontinuation of finasteride. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Improvement in sperm concentration. RESULT(S): Patient A had documented azoospermia over 1 year and was initially booked for a testicular biopsy. Six months after discontinuation of finasteride 1 mg daily he showed improvement in sperm concentration to 5.5 x 10(6)/mL. Patient B had severe oligospermia with a sperm concentration of 4 x 10(6)/mL. Sperm concentration improved to 6.6 then 18.7 x 10(6)/mL at 3 and 6 months after stopping finasteride. CONCLUSION(S): We report two cases of infertile patients with azoospermia or severe oligospermia who showed significant improvements in sperm concentrations 6 months after the discontinuation of finasteride. In one case, improvement in semen parameters prevented the need for testicular biopsy and corrected the azoospermia. Stopping finasteride in the infertility population may improve semen parameters, and may allow for less invasive fertility treatments.

docj077

Reaction score
We've gone over studies like this before. First of all, they give no mention of previous fertility testing to determine if these males were infertile before starting propecia. Second, their conclusions pretty much answer any questions you might have with this thread.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
We've gone over studies like this before. First of all, they give no mention of previous fertility testing to determine if these males were infertile before starting propecia. Second, their conclusions pretty much answer any questions you might have with this thread.

Yes we have gone over a study like this before. Obviously they dont mention any testing to determine if the males were infertile before starting propecia - because such testing wasnt done. I didnt have any questions with this thread - it is posted to provide others with information on new research related to hairloss.
hh

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Would it be a good idea to get a sperm count before, or even while, taking finasteride? I have been taking it for over 4 years now. I'd hate to find out later down the road that my boys aren't swimming because of it. I think I might make an appointment to get a count just for peace of mind.

Second question is, if sperm count is affected by finasteride use, would we have a greater chance of reversing the effects if we stopped using finasteride sooner than later? I'd be interested in seeing the results of THAT study.

Interesting post. Somewhat unnerving, but taking any medication is a risk, I suppose.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are sufficiently concerned then it cant hurt.
As to reversing the effects sooner rater than later theres really not enough to say. These are just case reports after allat this point in time. At any rate if finasteride does have this effect in some people I imagine a course on a DHT like steroid such as mesterolone, which is sometimes given to men for fertility issues would clear things right up. Would not do much good for your hairline but that seems to be the way things go....
hh