Propecia/finasteride - 10 Year Update

souldoctor

Reaction score
Hello all...

I started posting here around 14 years ago. I was taking propecia since May 2005. I've been re-reading my old posts from 10 years ago here ('m 36 now)..Absolute cringe. I'm sure others here of a similar vintage will understand what I mean when I say I'd love to sit down and have a beer with that guy, and give his head a shake; so much to say...

Anyway - to summarise..I was on propecia 1mg daily between 2005 and about 2015 and very gradually reduced it over about 2 years, (2016-17),going from daily, to every other day/every few days, to the point of taking it maybe once in a few weeks then stopping. Propecia worked extremely well overall. I never had any adverse effects other than a slight tendency to dribble a bit after urination (but not 'incontinence' by any measure, or anything of any practical impact). My hair held up very well, remaining thick and the envy of a lot of my friends throughout my early-mid 30s. There did continue to be some loss, and some sheds, but nothing major or drastic that I recall (or perhaps, as with many things, it may be that over time I just became more comfortable and confident with my hair as a whole, and noticed things less).

I started dating someone in 2010, and I married her in 2015. She got pregnant in 2017 (by which time I'd completely stopped it just to maximise chances of conceiving etc); we have a healthy baby boy, he's about 7 months now (and I can already tell, has my natural hairline..!!)

My hair actually still held up nicely for over a year after completely stopping the propecia - from maybe early 2017 until mid 2018 I had good hair, noticed no difference at all. However, very recently, I noticed a slight recurrence of thinning and a slight recession of the temples. So about a month ago, I decided to order some generic finasteride, ie to recommence treatment. I have been taking it daily since. I've restarted regular nizoral shampoo as well.

Incidentally, on a stag/bachelor party in Las Vegas I discovered another friend of mine took propecia as well - he has amazing hair, he stopped taking it when trying for children, had 2 healthy children, and I think has restarted it now too.

I think it's too early to say if restarting treatment will get me back to the maintenance level I enjoyed previously, but am hopeful. If not, life will go on.

Anyway, just thought posting a personal update of a 10 year period might be of interest to those starting out with the anxiety, uncertainty etc around hairloss treatment, wondering how things play out for others in the long term.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
How was your hair when you got on finasteride?

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Always nice to have an old memeber return and share their experience. Cheers mate

ckp4eva

Reaction score
I crave posts like yours because it inspires others [me too] to act, and genuinely casts some light om what is an extremely dark tunnel, for some.

Thanks for sharing mate. Good luck in the future - don’t forgot to come back!

FinasterideCessation2018

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dear souldoctor,

thank you very much for your interesting post.

I had pretty much the same finasteride history as you: Started in 2001 and stopped since April 2018 because of trying to convince.

So I stopped Finasterid treatment since 7 month and I think Im starting to notice thinning and receding hairline.

Did you took any other treatments during your treatment pause?

Did you had any problems to conceive, how long did it take?

After starting again, any improvements now?

thanks a lot for sharing your story!