Propecia finally working

fmlink

Reaction score
Thought I'd share:

23yo, been on propecia since Nov 2013... almost 14 months.

First 7 months was a cycle of constant shedding/hopelessness, receded to a norwood 2 and thinned out on the top/crown. Months 7 - 13 everything was stable, I wasn't losing hair but there was no regrowth or thickening.. sucked

Now this month, the miniaturised hairs within the norwood 1 area are finally thickening and regrowing, I still have miniaturised hair in the norwood 1 region, most of them appear to now be recovering. I haven't been thinking about hair loss/ checking my hair too much recently as i've been too busy/stressed with university, before i was checking my hair constantly everyday, maybe that's why I didn't notice any change. Things are finally looking up ^^ no minoxidil, nothing, just propecia. There is hope

Rakti1988

Reaction score
Pleased to read things are going well. I'm seven months into taking finasteride myself but my hair has noticeably thinned and the shedding had not stopped. I'm hoping, like you, things are just taking a bit of time to recover.

Are you a diffuse thinner?

David.G

Established Member
Reaction score
Pleased to read things are going well. I'm seven months into taking finasteride myself but my hair has noticeably thinned and the shedding had not stopped. I'm hoping, like you, things are just taking a bit of time to recover.

Are you a diffuse thinner?

Same here. Month 5 and hair is still falling all over the front and no new hairs growing. Hair line has taken a big hit. scary.

OP congrats. Hopefully it gets better now. Are you using generic finasteride or name brand propecia.

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
Congrats, thats good news. Hopefully you will get the regrowth to get back to a NW1 and maintain that for many years. I have been on propecia 1mg per day for only 1 month and I have noticed an increase in shedding, which is normal with many treatments. Is this general consensus the sooner you start shedding, the earlier you will see results/regrowth?

Keystone

Reaction score
14 months that's a long time for it to start working. Mine kicked in 2 months after usage but I guess everyone's body works differently. I hope you achieve the results you want!

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
you may notice it at 2 months keystone such as no more shedding, but I think OP is actually referring to noticeable regrowth from finasteride only.

Rando45

Reaction score
When I first started taking propecia 8 months ago, I got depressed because of the shedding. I was tempted several times to stop taking propecia. I was losing a hundred hairs everytime I washed my hair. I would put a wash cloth over the drain so I could monitor my shed. After about two months the shedding decreased to between 25 and 50 hairs. After three months my hair was thin, you could see right through my hair. After 6 months, the shedding stopped. I still have a few hairs in the tub but not a depressing amount. My hair is thickening back up. You can't see daylight through my hair now. I'm glad I stuck with it. I also apply rogaine foam twice a day.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Generally you will see results from finasteride within a few months of use. That timeline isn't written in stone. The same goes for the "full results at 1.5yrs on finasteride", in fact full results can sometimes take more than 2 years to see.

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score
I used to shed alot of hairs bht lately none at all when I shower I mean. Like used to get 30 to 50 plus hairs after I shampooed and condition in my hands. Is that a good sign that finasteride is doing something or

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! Good job on not starting minoxidil to speed things up. I myself couldn't have waited that long for any sign of progress.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Fmlink,

- - - Updated - - -

Fmlink, when you were shedding was your scalp kind of irritated or anything? I had no sheds but at the one year mark, a massive one hit me and I'm guessing because so many of my follicles went dormant, my scalp went crazy too. I'm 14 months on and my shedding calmed down a little but I'm still shedding. I have like thinning when I never did so I'm guessing this is propecia? Congrats though on being brave and sticking it out! Hope your progress is all up hill from here!