Experienced Member
Reaction score
In theory this is a possibility.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Radio said:

I agree that theoretically it is possible. Again, who knows? I wouldn't recommend going much above 1.25mg though, as it could be potentially harmful.

But after reducing my dosage to .25mg, while my shedding didn't increase, looking back at pictures, it appears my hair thinned ever so slightly. Based on this fact, I'm considering going back to .5mg, depending on how much minoxidil thickens my hair.

SE-freak

Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
But after reducing my dosage to .25mg, while my shedding didn't increase, looking back at pictures, it appears my hair thinned ever so slightly. Based on this fact, I'm considering going back to .5mg, depending on how much minoxidil thickens my hair.

If you detected thinning after reducing finasteride dose, don't rely on minoxidil. Find a dose that keeps you stable and let minoxidil work its way up from there.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
joseph49853 said:
Radio said:

I agree that theoretically it is possible. Again, who knows? I wouldn't recommend going much above 1.25mg though, as it could be potentially harmful.

If you detected thinning after reducing finasteride dose, don't rely on minoxidil. Find a dose that keeps you stable and let minoxidil work his way up from there.

I think you may be right. I'm going to see.

jeffsss

Reaction score
You'd think it should be on a body weight ratio or something.

I mean there could be a 140lb man using the same dosage as a 240lb man.

obviously the drug woudlnt affect them the same.. ??

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:

It's more likely to do with hormone levels. Someone who has high testosterone and high DHT levels will most likely need more finasteride than those who have lower testosterone/DHT levels.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
biff said:
jeffsss said:

It's more likely to do with hormone levels. Someone who has high testosterone and high DHT levels will most likely need more finasteride than those who have lower testosterone/DHT levels.

I believe you're 100 percent correct. Which is why everyone should try to find an optimal balance, and not try to send their hormones too out of wack. It's those large swings on either side that cause either hair loss, or side effects. That 1mg recommended dosage isn't written in stone, and even as small an amount as .25mg less/more daily can make a substantial difference.

BTW, I've never had my hormone levels tested. I've never taken any medication other than Finasteride in my life... not even aspirin. But I'm now starting to believe I've always had lower than normal testosterone, and developed over time slightly higher than average DHT. That's probably why for me, Finasteride's given me increased energy, and muscle mass, cognitive ability etc. Otherwise, I believe the worst side effects might occur for those people already having high testosterone.

SE-freak

Reaction score
I am under the impression that a constant tampering with dose has a greater chance of producing side effects compared to an initial recommended dose and the proper time for adjustment. In that sense, a constant procedure of experimentation to find your "optimal" dose if you have not experienced sides yet, is not a good idea.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
I am under the impression that a constant tampering with dose has a greater chance of producing side effects compared to an initial recommended dose and the proper time for adjustment. In that sense, a constant procedure of experimentation to find your "optimal" dose if you have not experienced sides yet, is not a good idea.

I think you might be right. I have slowly lowered my dosage over time, and haven't had any hugely adverse side effects. I think there's a period of homostateous the body goes under, in trying to adapt to new conditions. And by disrupting this natural process, and causing huge fluctuations, can cause bad results, on top of what Finasteride might already be causing.