Propecia Dangers on BBC Radio1 / BBC News

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12040303

Merck say they continually monitor its safety and have recently changed the labelling after reports of sexual side effects continuing after people had stopped taking the drug.

Scared me a little to wake up to this today. Guess it's nothing I didn't already know but to hear it from the UK's biggest radio station when I was lying in bed... My stomach kinda turned :/

Can't believe there are no studies that confirm if impotency can continue (or even begin) after discontinuation of the drug. Merck must know something.

Any thoughts, am I insane to be taking this drug at 25?

Mens Rea

Reaction score
hairhoper said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12040303

Merck say they continually monitor its safety and have recently changed the labelling after reports of sexual side effects continuing after people had stopped taking the drug.

Scared me a little to wake up to this today. Guess it's nothing I didn't already know but to hear it from the UK's biggest radio station when I was lying in bed... My stomach kinda turned :/

Can't believe there are no studies that confirm if impotency can continue (or even begin) after discontinuation of the drug. Merck must know something.

Any thoughts, am I insane to be taking this drug at 25?

Insane, no.

But it's a risk. Just monitor yourself closely if you feel the need to take it.

Be under no illusion though. I have first hand experience, finasteride is a bad drug if you are unlucky to experience sides. Mine have got worse since going off the drug - weak erections, penile pain and shrinkage. Hormonal imbalances. Its not joke.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing like a news article to set you thinking down a negative track :thumbdown2:

captain_que

Established Member
Reaction score
Just goes to show how much you can trust pharmaceutical companies. Not saying everyone gets sides, but they can shove that 2% and that it passes with discontinued use right up their ***.
it comes down to the fact that it´s a risk you have to decide for yourself if you´re willing to take, that might have serious consequences. Most people that have been around boards like these know that, but putting that on a company website wouldn´t be good for sales numbers now would it.

barcafan

Reaction score
they're admitting to as little as possible right now. More information will start coming out and theyll start shitting their pants, theres lots of independent studies being done as we speak

Ende

Reaction score
It's going to be a lawsuit... I'm just curious about if they manage to keep everything under control until Propecia's patent expires.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And this forum shows its bias by side-lining these 2 BBC threads to the side-effects subforum.

It is major that this made it onto BBC news, anti-androgens forum made sense, but this is not just about side-effects, this is also about Merck changing its labeling as well.

Haven't seen any follow-up on the labeling change mentioned in the article, wondering if that was something that happened ages ago or recently and if it actually now states that long-term side-effects can occur.

Any propecia users noticed a change in packaging recently (if any frequent the side-effects forum *rolleyes*)?