Propecia.com is down??

multispeed27

Established Member
Reaction score
Not very encouraging?
Thank you for visiting propecia.com.

This Web site is not currently available.

Click here for: Prescribing Information

Click here for: Patient Product Information

For more information or to enroll in the PROPECIA—Persistence Program, click here.

For more information about, or to download a refund request form for the PROPECIA Promise Program, click here.

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA.
Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Copyright © 2011 Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., a subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc. All rights reserved.
DERM-1012120-0000 09/11

beaner

Reaction score
Websites are down all the time. It doesn't mean anything. Hairlosstalk was down last week for a day.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
It's also a form of "Cover Your ***" (CYA) that many companies do when faces with a lawsuit.

No, it's not an admission of guilt.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yep, I bet the first thing Merck's lawyers told the company to do when all these lawsuits started to hit is take down the website. I'm willing to bet its so they can review the verbiage on the website to ensure nothing can be used against them in court. This is the same reason they added the new "difficulty maintaining and erection after stopping" to the product insert. Now anybody that took Propecia after that was added to the insert (a few months back) cannot sue Merck for that reason.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep, damage control from Merck.

Probably easy to deal with considering that they killed over 60,000 people with Vioxx and got away with that.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The FDA estimated around 27,000 deaths from Vioxx, where did you get 60,000 from? Either way, its a huge amount of people, and tragic as hell. However, I don't think Merck 'got away' with anything. In fact I read that the total legal fees and payouts for litigation ended up being more than twice as much money they ever made from Vioxx.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why bump this thread? It's already been answered pretty clearly. Why does it matter?

ding30

Reaction score
Answered already?

You stated that you 'bet' the site was taken down was due to potential lawsuits.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but you having a guess is not a concrete answer. It would be interesting to know how long the site has actually been down for and considering ethical doctors are still prescribing the drug to people in their 20s and 30s then on what basis is the site down.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure why it was taken down, but it's quite obvious. There are lawsuits hitting Merck now, and their website went down to cover their own ***. I'm guessing the reason they took it down is because it had the phrase: "side effects went away in people who stopped taking Propecia because of them" (it was something along those lines).

If that was still up, a lawyer would be able to probably use it against Merck.

Why do you think doctors should not be prescribing it because the site is down? It doesn't indicate anything, if you are implying Merck is admitting guilt by taking their website down.

ding30

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. If they have a ton of lawsuits why are good doctors still prescribing it?

Cassin

Reaction score
yet the links still go to ad like places

PROPECIA—Persistence Program. Enroll today and you'll get:

For new patients only: up to $260 in savings on your eligible prescription for PROPECIA (up to $60 off your first 90-day purchase and up to $200 off your fourth 90-day purchase). See Terms and Conditions of this offer for details.

PROPECIA—Persistence Program. This program is administered on behalf of Merck by McKesson Specialty Arizona, Inc. ("McKesson"). Enrollment is conducted by McKesson, and it is quick and easy.

*Please note: Residents of Maine and Massachusetts are not eligible to participate in this program or to use the coupon. Savings limited to amount of out-of-pocket cost for purchase. Coupon for up to $260 in savings is valid only for cash-paying patients. Patients must make full cash or cash equivalent payment for prescription. Coupon is not valid for prescriptions of PROPECIA for which you or your pharmacy receive or are eligible to receive any reimbursement or price reduction through Medicaid, Medigap, Medicare Part D or Medicare Advantage Plan, TRICARE, CHAMPUS, VA, DOD, other similar federal or state programs, private insurance, employer-sponsored insurance, health maintenance organization (HMO), preferred provider organization (PPO), pharmacy benefits manager (PBM), or other health care program.

Coupon valid for new patients only. Patients who have been taking PROPECIA for more than 90 days at time of enrollment are not eligible to use the coupon. Patients previously participating in the rebate offer for PROPECIA are not eligible to use the coupon.

Program and coupon are limited to MEN only.

This offer is subject to certain terms and conditions. See Terms and Conditions.

Program enrollment: April 1, 2010 through July 1, 2012. Program and coupon expiration date: July 31, 2013.

For enrolled patients: Information about how to request reimbursement using a DMR is available here.

The link from the FDA just has this cange

Propecia (finasteride) 1 mg tablet

Detailed View: Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) March 2010, March 2011 and June 2011

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/Safe ... 208701.htm

Yet proscar is still up

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_cir ... oscar.html

I dunno...maybe a lot of information needs to be adjusted and written by lawyers and its just slow going...its not like propecia makes them a lot of money so I guess its not a priority. :dunno:

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Actually, the proscar website is down as well. I'm assuming it's the same deal:

ding30, just because Merck is being sued doesn't necessarily mean that the medication is dangerous or that the lawsuits are sound. Companies and individuals are being sued constantly; people now a days seem to sue on the drop of a hat.

The Merck lawsuits, while they mey be legitimate, are not currently based on any fact. Neither the FDA or Merck has warned that Finasteride can cause these types of permanent problems, yet lawyers can still make a very strong case for it. I bet that most are looking for an out-of-court settlement, which is an easy cha-ching. I'm not saying if these cases are true or not (because I don't know) but I do know there is no conclusive evidence that suggests Finasteride caused these problems... Even though anecdotally, that does seem to be the case.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Wuffer said:
Actually, the proscar website is down as well. I'm assuming it's the same deal:

ding30, just because Merck is being sued doesn't necessarily mean that the medication is dangerous or that the lawsuits are sound. Companies and individuals are being sued constantly; people now a days seem to sue on the drop of a hat.

The Merck lawsuits, while they mey be legitimate, are not currently based on any fact. Neither the FDA or Merck has warned that Finasteride can cause these types of permanent problems, yet lawyers can still make a very strong case for it. I bet that most are looking for an out-of-court settlement, which is an easy cha-ching. I'm not saying if these cases are true or not (because I don't know) but I do know there is no conclusive evidence that suggests Finasteride caused these problems... Even though anecdotally, that does seem to be the case.

wow

ding30

Reaction score
Thanks Wuffer.

Guess I'm still debating whether or not to get back on to the finasteride after a 5year hiatus.

Cheers.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bluecloud87 said:

Do you feel my post was off base? I would be interested to hear what you believe was wrong with my post. I think it was pretty objective and accurate, but i'm always up for some criticism.