Propecia, Brain Fog And Risk Of Dementia

pikemason

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pikemason thank you for the reply. So are you on any treatments now?

I have an appointment with my doctor at the end of the month who has a lot of experience in Hormone replacement therapy. Once he looks over my labs I will ask him to see what he thinks about it propecia. Right now i'm just on rogaine and regenepure Dr. I would not mind microdosing or trying topical finasteride under his watch. I would feel comfortable with it because I take "testosterone" injections weekly so this time I would not have to worry about my endocrine system crashing.

coco_304

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take an andcour and I also have a frog brain
and i dont know what to do..

*Sometimes I do not remember things that happened to me the day before.
*Sometimes I try to talk and I can not find the right words As if they had disappeared from my vocabulary.

pikemason

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you gotten your hormone profile checked? I would run lab work to get hard data.

pikemason

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I take an andcour and I also have a frog brain
and i dont know what to do..

*Sometimes I do not remember things that happened to me the day before.
*Sometimes I try to talk and I can not find the right words As if they had disappeared from my vocabulary.
I take an andcour and I also have a frog brain?

Chris m

My Regimen
Reaction score
Propecia is an extremely safe and effective drug and has absolutely no side effects. It's all in your head, propecia is a miracle pill that has saved the lives of countless men.

It is an irreversible inhibitor of 5 alpha reductase while crossing the blood brain barrier as well as inhibiting several neurosteroids such as Allopregnanolone and THDOC as well as affecting neuro transmission and blocking the biosynthesis and conversion of at least 9 different brain chemical conversions. These neurosteroids effect mood and cognition, memory etc

But it's all in your head. Side effects don't exist.

Even Jean Luc BB and GI Joey will tell you the same thing.

You Sir have 0 idea what you are raving about and most likely are a Schill for the pharma industry. There is ample evidence that it damages the brain you lying fool.

Chris m

My Regimen
Reaction score
The fogginess has subsided drastically, my back has improved. Memory is still an issue at times. Energy is sky high. Confidence is back. Had some insomnia for a couple nights, I suppose from the energy burst. Energy is high, mind is noticebly more active. I'm not going back to finasteride. I took it after a hair transplant to help keep what I had. The negative side affects outweigh the benefit. I'm going with touch up hair transplants going forward if needed

Smart may this drug is dangerous. Do not take it!

Chris m

My Regimen
Reaction score
The fogginess has subsided drastically, my back has improved. Memory is still an issue at times. Energy is sky high. Confidence is back. Had some insomnia for a couple nights, I suppose from the energy burst. Energy is high, mind is noticebly more active. I'm not going back to finasteride. I took it after a hair transplant to help keep what I had. The negative side affects outweigh the benefit. I'm going with touch up hair transplants going forward if needed

Sir how long have you been off the Posion? Has your memory improved? Do you feel month by month you are improving?

Chris m

My Regimen
Reaction score
YES YES AND MORE YES. I was on Finasteride 1mg for 14 months. I experienced brain fog for the first few months, but didn't realize it could be the finasteride and was in denial. After a few months, that turned into short term memory loss. Affected my work and personal life. On month #10, I noticed issues with my joints and trouble with my lower and upper back. Before finasteride, if I strained my back or slept the wrong way, it would result in a sore back that would heal in 3-4 days. On Finasteride, these back issues went on for weeks then months without healing. If I crossed my leg while sitting, this would result in sore knee joints. While looking up symptoms, I notice all these in other men. At month #14 I decided to stop. It has been a week and already I'm feeling less foggy. This drug has some SERIOUS sides effects that the doctors are not warning people about. I did not have the sexual side effects, decreased semen, erectile issues or loss of libido at all. I DID have brain fog, memory loss, joint and bone issues. And THAT was enough for me to stop

How long has it been since you stopped? Are you slowly improving?

Chris m

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Aaron2014 i have had similar experiences while taking Propecia, one day at work i completely blanked out and forgot what i was working on throughout the whole day i have forgotten conversations with friends etc. it was a really scary experience. It might be best for you to ween off the drug instead of quitting completely cold turkey.

How are you since you quite cold Turkey? Are you 100% back to normal?

Chris m

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is my first post so apologies in advance if I get something wrong. I want to make clear that I have no agenda - I genuinely want to hear your thoughts and experiences. I am concerned but, by no means, panicked. I am trying to decide whether to continue my current treatment for hair loss, or to stop altogether.

I am 44 years of age and have been on Propecia 1mg for about 24 months. I started treatment because I had early, but aggressive hairloss - NW2 but quickly progressing towards NW3. Since starting treatment, my hairline has stablised and, possibly, there has been some regrowth too. Following my early scepticism, I do believe that Propecia is effective at arresting hair loss and promoting regrowth.

I have not had many obvious side effects. In the early days, I would feel very bloated but this soon settled. Sometimes, I think have breast tenderness but, again, this is infrequent and, quite possibly, psychosomatic rather than physical.

However, over the last 6 months or so, I have increasingly become conscious of brain fog. The individual episodes are infrequent (say 3 or 4 times a week) but they trouble me because I have always had a good intellect and memory (both short and long-term). I am noticing a cognitive decline.

Let me give specific examples. I was talking with my sister the other day and wanted to enquire after one of her friends and I said a name. My sister looked at me blankly for several seconds as I repeated the name a few times. I then proceeded to explain what this friend of hers did and my sister remembered and said, it's so-and-so you're actually talking about. I was quite shocked that my mind had gone completely blank. A similar episode happened to me at work. During the course of a conversation, while a friend and I were discussing a mutual friend, I suddenly forgot who we were talking about and struggled to participate in the conversation. I told my friend, I'd forgotten who we were discussing - we both laughed it off but the episode scared me. Finally, more recently I was musing on my plans for the rest of the year and, momentarily, struggled to recall what season it was and what month we were in. I had to work to recall the information albeit this all happened over a few seconds.

The best way to describe is sometimes I feel I am trying to wade my way through treacle to reach a memory be it a name, place or event. Sometimes my recall of simple memories feels laboured. I try to remember things by association more often in order that I don't forget them.

There are several possibilities; first, I am suffering hypochondria and merely imagining that my memory has declined. Second, that my memory has declined but that some decline is to be expected at my age. Third, that I have early signs of dementia linked to heredity or some other factor. Or fourth, that my "brain fog" is linked to the use of Propecia. Of course, a combination of these factors may apply.

So to my questions? Do any of you using Propecia recognise my symptoms? Could this be a side-effect from Propecia? Is there any evidence that Propecia can cause or accelerate long-term cognitive decline (including causing or expediting forms of dementia)? Could Propecia permanently damage the brain? Any advice or thoughts gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

Chris m

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is my first post so apologies in advance if I get something wrong. I want to make clear that I have no agenda - I genuinely want to hear your thoughts and experiences. I am concerned but, by no means, panicked. I am trying to decide whether to continue my current treatment for hair loss, or to stop altogether.

I am 44 years of age and have been on Propecia 1mg for about 24 months. I started treatment because I had early, but aggressive hairloss - NW2 but quickly progressing towards NW3. Since starting treatment, my hairline has stablised and, possibly, there has been some regrowth too. Following my early scepticism, I do believe that Propecia is effective at arresting hair loss and promoting regrowth.

I have not had many obvious side effects. In the early days, I would feel very bloated but this soon settled. Sometimes, I think have breast tenderness but, again, this is infrequent and, quite possibly, psychosomatic rather than physical.

However, over the last 6 months or so, I have increasingly become conscious of brain fog. The individual episodes are infrequent (say 3 or 4 times a week) but they trouble me because I have always had a good intellect and memory (both short and long-term). I am noticing a cognitive decline.

Let me give specific examples. I was talking with my sister the other day and wanted to enquire after one of her friends and I said a name. My sister looked at me blankly for several seconds as I repeated the name a few times. I then proceeded to explain what this friend of hers did and my sister remembered and said, it's so-and-so you're actually talking about. I was quite shocked that my mind had gone completely blank. A similar episode happened to me at work. During the course of a conversation, while a friend and I were discussing a mutual friend, I suddenly forgot who we were talking about and struggled to participate in the conversation. I told my friend, I'd forgotten who we were discussing - we both laughed it off but the episode scared me. Finally, more recently I was musing on my plans for the rest of the year and, momentarily, struggled to recall what season it was and what month we were in. I had to work to recall the information albeit this all happened over a few seconds.

The best way to describe is sometimes I feel I am trying to wade my way through treacle to reach a memory be it a name, place or event. Sometimes my recall of simple memories feels laboured. I try to remember things by association more often in order that I don't forget them.

There are several possibilities; first, I am suffering hypochondria and merely imagining that my memory has declined. Second, that my memory has declined but that some decline is to be expected at my age. Third, that I have early signs of dementia linked to heredity or some other factor. Or fourth, that my "brain fog" is linked to the use of Propecia. Of course, a combination of these factors may apply.

So to my questions? Do any of you using Propecia recognise my symptoms? Could this be a side-effect from Propecia? Is there any evidence that Propecia can cause or accelerate long-term cognitive decline (including causing or expediting forms of dementia)? Could Propecia permanently damage the brain? Any advice or thoughts gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

Stop taking now! This is a dangerous drug and can seriously impair your mind!

Maave

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anybody looked into GABA for resolving brain fog? I just posted this on another thread:

Was just wondering if anyone knew of any supplements (other than dim or grapeseed) that help with erection quality and even memory/brain fog?

Disclaimer: I have not tried any of this crap, I'm just an internet scientist and I've avoided 5ar-inhibitors because I like my neurosteroids

Summary from wikipedia:

Neurosteroids like 3α-androstanediol (derived from DHT) and allopregnanolone (derived from progesterone) activate the GABA A receptor in the brain; because finasteride prevents the formation of neurosteroids, it functions as a neurosteroidogenesis inhibitor and may contribute to a reduction of GABA A activity. Reduction of GABA A receptor activation by these neurosteroids has been implicated in depression, anxiety, and sexual dysfunction

Plain GABA supplements do not readily cross the blood-brain barrier but there are a few like phenibut or picamilon which do. This can cause dependency, tolerance, and withdrawl so be careful.

Also check out simple supplements that are the precusors to GABA like zinc and b6. There's a good amount of discussion of GABA on nootropics boards. Check out this reddit thread. Much deeper in the thread somebody also mentions gabapentinoids - gabapentin and pregabalin. They apparently upregulate GABA production, but have similar problems as phenibut.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/comments/5n6mbb/best_nutrients_to_increase_gaba_production/

There's also this guy who had similar issues with low GABA (not from finasteride) and supplemented pregnenolone to help his body produce allopregnanolone. The downside is that this probably won't work while you're on finasteride. It might help PFS guys though

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/comments/78ru5e/comment/dowhxe5

Really I think the better option is to find a topical anti-androgen and save your neurosteroids.

Maave

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Follow-up to the neurosteroid information. The table attached is from this study which measured neurosteroids before and after finasteride.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/cfbb/6e441d2f878a71ba13a2ecaf70c4b7a43394.pdf

Allopregnanolone in particular is down 300% on average (1/3 - 1/4 it's original level).

From the the study "The role of allopregnanolone in depression and anxiety":

Reduced levels of allopregnanolone in the peripheral blood or cerebrospinal fluid were found to be associated with major depression, anxiety disorders, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, negative symptoms in schizophrenia, or impulsive aggression. The importance of allopregnanolone for the regulation of emotion and its therapeutical use in depression and anxiety may not only involve GABAergic mechanisms, but probably also includes enhancement of neurogenesis, myelination, neuroprotection, and regulatory effects on HPA axis function.

Attachments

• Concentration of steroids before and after finasteride.png
    Concentration of steroids before and after finasteride.png
    93.1 KB · Views: 276

tysono

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Follow-up to the neurosteroid information. The table attached is from this study which measured neurosteroids before and after finasteride.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/cfbb/6e441d2f878a71ba13a2ecaf70c4b7a43394.pdf

Allopregnanolone in particular is down 300% on average (1/3 - 1/4 it's original level).

From the the study "The role of allopregnanolone in depression and anxiety":
Does this mean taking pregnenolone while on finasteride or dutasteride would help with those emotional side effects?

Maave

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does this mean taking pregnenolone while on finasteride or dutasteride would help with those emotional side effects?
It might not work while you're on fina or duta, buy I think it's worth a shot if you have sides. Def let us know if you try it

tysono

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It might not work while you're on fina or duta, buy I think it's worth a shot if you have sides. Def let us know if you try it
I’m very tempted to give it a try. Would it be pregnenalone or progesterone that’d be the one to take for this case?

Maave

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m very tempted to give it a try. Would it be pregnenalone or progesterone that’d be the one to take for this case?
Oh good catch, it's progesterone. Progesterone is the precursor to allopregnanolone. I should edit the old posts to fix that

tysono

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So
Oh good catch, it's progesterone. Progesterone is the precursor to allopregnanolone. I should edit the old posts to fix that
So it’d be worthwhile looking into progesterone rather than pregnenalone?