Propecia - Anyone on it, and experience no sides?

glen_jai

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm one of the many still contemplating on whether to take propecia.
My hair is reaching the stage where I think the only thing that can save me going totally bald is propecia. And there are days I think, "right s*d it! I'm going to start taking propecia next month".
But then after reading forum posts on side-effects, how it can destroys a guy's sex life, mess up your brain etc etc... I then go back to square one of not wanting to touch the stuff.

I read lots of posts and articles of how propecia effects you detrimentally. So for the sake of balance, and further help with my indecision.
Are there any guys here that have been on propecia (or finpecia) for long periods of time (years), that have had "no" side effects whatsoever? Not even mild ones?

Many thanks,
Glen

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
There are other ways to protect your hair, other than just using finasteride. If you're that scared of side effects, I strongly suggest using one of those alternate treatments.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The vast, vast majority of these stories are experienced and perpetuated by a vocal minority. I strongly believe that the majority of these cases are catalyzed by psychological factors. I have seen dozens of times, users displaying signs of extreme anxiety before starting finasteride, terrified about side effects. Almost every instance ends up terribly, often with side effects that persist.

I also believe that some of these people experience completely legitimate side effects after taking the drug, but I believe this is an extremely rare reaction.

If you are anxious about your decision to star the drug, don't even consider it. You should ONLY start treatment when you are committed to your decision and feel confident in the safety of the drug. If you are unsure, believe you are taking a huge risk, or spend your days surfing propeciahelp and over-analyzing every symptom, you will NOT succeed on the drug.

That being said, I don't think anyone has taken this drug with 'no' side effects. Hell, most over the counter medications give you some sort of tangible side effect. I experienced an initial disruption (increased and decreased) of libido and testicular ache for a few days. This all occurred in the first month, and I haven't noticed anything since. It's certainly possible my libido has suffered to some degree, maybe i'm only at 80% what I was before I started, but it's something that is really hard to measure by memory.

glen_jai

Reaction score
Thank you for all your valuable comments. Please keep them coming for those of you that are taking Propecia.
TravisB, I hope it all goes well, and please let us know if it's working for you too.
Wuffer, how long have you been on propecia, if you don't mind me asking?

I should also mention that I have been on minoxidil for about 3 years now, and using the lasermax comb. Starting taking nettle root capsules about 3 months ago.

backintime

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been taking finasteride for two months. I'm the type of person who reads about side effects, and suddenly I'm experiencing them. So, I can not say for sure whether it is real or imagined, but so far I have experiences mild (VERY MILD) testicular ache, INCREASED sex drive in the aspect that I think about it more often, although it might take a little longer to get an erection (and by that I mean maybe 30 seconds lol) and my skin actually feels softer and smoother: no acne...I usually get a pimple here and there every couple of weeks. I have had none since starting finasteride. No change in my mood or personality, either. Well actually that's not true...I'm more confident now because I know I am being proactive in fighting further hairloss and I'm optimistic that my hair can only improve going forward. I believe I made a good decision by starting the big 3.

I completely agree with Wuffer. It's obvious you've done your homework regarding the drug so make his comments the end of your research and make your decision whether to start on finasteride or not.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
I also experienced an increased sex drive initially. I don't have any issues with libido (been on finasteride for about 2 months now), but I have noticed reduced sensation when I have an orgasm and until recently I felt like my penis was just a rubber thing attached to my body, but that feeling is going and my orgasms are slowly returning back to normal.

I experienced the orgasm thing in the first two weeks then it went away completely, but it came back about 2 weeks ago. I hope it's just a blip and not a thing which comes and goes all the time.

The problem with finasteride is that you'll never know unless you try it. People react differently (just like most drugs, really... paracetamol doesn't work on me whatsoever, for example).

Very few people experience side effects after quitting. The unlucky ones who do are few and far between, but of course they'll be more vocal about it, especially online where it's so easy to vent as an anonymous person no one knows.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for 19 months now, and had great results and a good overall experience.

Your experience sounds a lot like mine backintime. finasteride has not 'altered my mood' like some people have experienced. If anything, it's increased my confidence in that I never have to worry about my hair anymore, which used to cause me significant stress.

I actually found a study that shows finasteride increases the average quality of life:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21806672

I agree wstef. Not everyone tolerates the drug, but it certainly doesn't hurt to try it. There is no evidence to suggest that you would have side effects that will not go away, but it might be an extremely rare possibility.. Just like the extremely rare possibility of extreme reactions to any other medication you take.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I would argue there actually are not very many if any effective ways to keep your hair besides propecia. I mean yes there are plenty of topicals but they are very expensive and none of them are really proven to work in the sense that propecia is. So I mean yes its a tough decision, but the reason why is because its far and away the best cost effective option we have now.I guess if I was a millionaire I would go buy 4 or 5 of the good topicals and sit around 2 hours a day applying them, but that is not my case.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
The only proper results (from medication) you see on forums like this are from finasteride (Propecia), and perhaps a growing number of dutasteride (but it's not as readily available).

Glen, perhaps do what I did and buy 1 month's supply and if you suffer side effects and feel it's not for you, you can stop. It's very unlikely after that time you will suffer any side effects which won't fade away after stopping and it probably won't have much impact on your hair with such short usage.

Odie

Established Member
Reaction score
1mg for 4 years now .. one week of minor sides when I started (ball ache and watery semen) but nothing since (except better hair :) )

B

Beingbaldsucksass

I would argue there actually are not very many if any effective ways to keep your hair besides propecia. I mean yes there are plenty of topicals but they are very expensive and none of them are really proven to work in the sense that propecia is. So I mean yes its a tough decision, but the reason why is because its far and away the best cost effective option we have now.I guess if I was a millionaire I would go buy 4 or 5 of the good topicals and sit around 2 hours a day applying them, but that is not my case.

no topical is in the level of propecia,im on revivogen,minoxi 5 % and nizoral and even when i see improvment im still losing hair,finasteride is the only real solution

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the problem is the nocebo effect which was shown to be potent with 5ar inhibitors. nocebo is like placebo except that this time your beliefs that you could get sides and that the sides are dangerous and undesriable is bringing about intensification of sides.

in one study the sides in those who knew the details of what the sides could be was around 40%, among those who didnt know, the sides were around 20%.

the best advice is to try it, while strongly believing that you wont have any sides.

of course if you already actually worried, then doing this would take quite a bit of slight-of-mind, won't it?

good luck.

glen_jai

Reaction score
The only proper results (from medication) you see on forums like this are from finasteride (Propecia), and perhaps a growing number of dutasteride (but it's not as readily available).

Glen, perhaps do what I did and buy 1 month's supply and if you suffer side effects and feel it's not for you, you can stop. It's very unlikely after that time you will suffer any side effects which won't fade away after stopping and it probably won't have much impact on your hair with such short usage.

Thanks for all the valuable comments. It is very comforting to hear the number of people on here who have not had any side effects.
wstef, thank you for the vote of confidence. I have already purchased a months supply of propecia. I just haven't found the courage to take a tablet out and put it in my mouth yet. But that day feels like it's getting ever closer.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
The problem is the more you think about it, the more you have a chance of the placebo effect taking place, especially because the usual side effects are sexual; something which can also be controlled by the mind itself.

I know from experience it's a hard drug to take and forget about it. It's all I could think about for the first few weeks. If we pop an asprin into our mouth we think nothing of it, but it can cause problems with the stomach and internal bleeding.

Try and pluck up the courage. Like mentioned, if you start feeling side effects (even if they are all in the mind) then you have the option to stop. Even a full month then stopping is very unlikely to have any long term impact.

I have found that zinc supplements - I take 25mg, a multivitamin with 15mg then one with calcium which has 8mg, at different times of the day, - I don't eat dairy so need more calcium - helps a lot. This is because zinc helps to stop testosterone converting to estrogen, which is one of the theorised causes of some of the side effects, but only do that if you do start feelng any side effects because, on a whole, most people get enough zinc in their diet anyway.

I'm actually really new to hair loss treatment - less than 4 months - but this forum has been invaluable.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't experienced any side effects whatsoever, but I'm presently in a pretty horrible shed. Been on it since March.