Propecia and the Placebo effect

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
After reading alot of posts here in the forums, I decided to add Propecia to my regime.
I discovered later that I am starting to lose my libido, to have gyno and even my semen got watery and less healthy..
At this moment, I start to panic. Is it because of propecia?

And then I remember I haven't yet started Propecia :D :D. not take even a single pill.
really, the power of suggestion is very strong and I believe after what I read, even if I am one of the 96% of men who shouldn't have side effects. for sure I will complain from the side effects.

Now I have a question for you. (please don't delete the post) Are the side effects of propecia permenant? specially gyno.. If I had the side effects and stopped propecia, will the side effects (gyno) go away?

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Propecia destroyed my life!! Read first before deleting!

ahmedwk said:
After reading alot of posts here in the forums, I decided to add Propecia to my regime.
I discovered later that I am starting to lose my libido, to have gyno and even my semen got watery and less healthy..
At this moment, I start to panic. Is it because of propecia?

And then I remember I haven't yet started Propecia :D :D. not take even a single pill.
really, the power of suggestion is very strong and I believe after what I read, even if I am one of the 96% of men who shouldn't have side effects. for sure I will complain from the side effects.

Now I have a question for you. (please don't delete the post) Are the side effects of propecia permenant? specially gyno.. If I had the side effects and stopped propecia, will the side effects (gyno) go away?

I believe it's virtually impossible to develop full-blown gyno on 1mg of Finasteride. To develop some fatty tissue and see a slight change in the shape of your chest? Yes. But this isn't something that would ever happen overnight.... it took over a year for me.

I also developed a slight loss in libido and difficulty maintaining a 100 percent erection on Finasteride, but my body eventually adapted enough so that everything went back to normal. I also reduced my dosage to .5mg, and saw any side effects almost completely disappear.

The hardest part on Finasteride is the initial 3-6 month period where your prostate is actually shrinking. It's a weird feeling until you get used to it. Good luck.

Britannia

Reaction score
Gyno is not a side effect of finasteride. Chest tenderness and swelling is rare.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Is one of the side-effects increased thinning? I've also gained 20 lbs since propecia. Weird.

fantasiauae

Reaction score
Lots of the posts on this website freaked me out last time I was taking Propecia, and I stopped. Now that Im back on I have decided I will not read the scary posts and will think positive.

Lots of people on this website that have shown success are those that sticked to it through its highs and lows. I remember reading HairLossTalk.com saying that even at month 9 he was thinking of taking propecia to court (wasent his exact words), or another who kept denying the positive results.

On the contrary, when you see lots of those (not all) who havent seen any positive results, they have been using many other medications with propecia, that might have accelerated the shedding.

TheOliviaTremorControl

Established Member
Reaction score
Joseph.... what do you mean you can FEEL the prostate shrinking? Elaborate on this...

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
TheOliviaTremorControl said:
Joseph.... what do you mean you can FEEL the prostate shrinking? Elaborate on this...

Let's put it this way. You live your whole life never thinking about your prostate, and on Finasteride you suddenly start to notice it's there. :) It's just a different feeling from the norm. I also noticed a different odor to my urine (a rope-like smell, which went away over time) and less time in-between urination... which exists till today.

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
thank you all for your replys
but still the main point needs clarification: If i noticed gyno (or fat tissue) is developing and I stopped propecia, will the gyno reversed once I stop propecia?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
ahmedwk said:
really, the power of suggestion is very strong and I believe after what I read, even if I am one of the 96% of men who shouldn't have side effects.
You're right. People will create all kinds of things in their heads. There are many studies proving that the placebo effect exists.

HairLossTalk.com

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
ahmedwk said:
really, the power of suggestion is very strong and I believe after what I read, even if I am one of the 96% of men who shouldn't have side effects.
You're right. People will create all kinds of things in their heads. There are many studies proving that the placebo effect exists.

HairLossTalk.com

Well if it's an argument over which is worse, starting to bald and having lost a) one-thousand hairs or b) ten-thousand hairs.... I'm pretty sure which one wins. Or the point where one decides to start coloring their grey hair might be the day it can no longer be concealed. Although, for some people just a few gray hairs sends them into a panic. Or maybe only being able to maintain an erection for five minutes instead of the usual eight minutes is enough to cause major concern, or confidence loss.

And maybe just that little bit of excessive chest fat and/or change in shape is just too much to tolerate... before vanity starts to kick in. And as far as I know, going grey, losing hair, and developing gyno -- to any degree -- are all cosmetic concerns, not medical. I can't even say gyno happens in a great number of people... all I can say, is that it happened to me.

I started to discover puffy nipples after a year on 1mg of Finasteride -- without ever knowing about it being a possibility. I've also worked out since the age of fourteen, and know exactly what my chest resembled pre-Finasteride. I have also since read studies in major medical journals of incidences from reputable institutes where doses of 5mg daily of Finasteride have indeed induced major gynecomastia.

http://www.google.com/search?hair loss=en&q=gy ... gle+Search