Propecia and starting a family

mr_misterr

Reaction score
My partner and I are trying for a baby and I want to start taking Propecia to halt any hairloss and grow hair but I worries about the effects of this. I am taking topical minoxidil and want to add Propecia.
Is it safe to try for a baby whilst on Propecia?
Thanks

powersam

Reaction score
was not so long ago a guy on this forum fathered a child while on finasteride and it was completely healthy. maybe you'd find it with search function.

jc444

Established Member
Reaction score
PowerSam said:
was not so long ago a guy on this forum fathered a child while on finasteride and it was completely healthy. maybe you'd find it with search function.

not sure if the guy you mention was me, but i did exactly that. I was on propecia for years before my wife became pregnant with our first child, and continued since without a break. We had a beautiful healthy boy about 4 months ago. no problems whatsoever.

I did make sure my wife knew never to touch the pills at any point. This can be very dangerous if she is pregnant, so other than that precaution, i think its fine

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
I did make sure my wife knew never to touch the pills at any point. This can be very dangerous if she is pregnant, so other than that precaution, i think its fine

And even then, the tablets are coated so it's unlikely she'd come in contact with the finasteride itself...

And even then, I believe I read that tests showed not enough drug would be absorbed through the skin to cause any problems...

And even then, it'd have to happen during a critical window of a day or two during pregnancy or it won't cause any problems...

And even then, the actual birth defect it can cause is hypospadias, which CAN be a problem if severe (pee hole located on underside of penis), but in most cases is minor (located on bottom of glans).

Ironically, maybe I was a finasteride baby, lol, as I have a minor case myself.

powersam

Reaction score
nah the guy i was talking about had a kid around a year ago maybe? either way glad to hear everything was normal and healthy. congratulations.