Propecia and shedding.

hans

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been 9 months since i started using propecia and as of now i am suffering the worst shed throughout my treatment. A little about my treatment's progress: First 3 months, wow no shed at all. Next 3 months, every so often I get days where I shed a ton of thin hairs all over my pillow. And from month 6 on, sheds have occured less but when they come, they come in full force. Now, at month 9 and on the shedding is very consistent day2day and i shed alot of thicker looking hair.

I was never a shedder before starting treatment, however i had a slightly receded hairline. In the shower I would shed on avg 5 - 15 hairs and in the morning Id be lucky to find a single hair on the pillow. Now, mysteriously most of my shedded hairs land on the pillow and less so in the shower.

Not only have i been shedding, my overall hair texture feels alot more limp and lifeless. I've kept my hair long since starting propecia in hopes to analyze whether propecia is working by looking at the shaft of my hair and seeing if a progressive thickening occurs. Not only is it not occuring, the opposite is happening. So many of the long hairs i shed i see a progressive thinning of the hair starting from the tip to the root. It seems to start thinning since the time of starting propecia. I know this base on the fact that hair grows at about .5 inches a month and i look at my shedded hair and it seems at 4 inches on it starts to thin and progressively gets worse to the root. Anyone else experince this?

To be fair, I dont really know whether ive receded any more since taking propecia. Although it is hard to tell since ive grown my hairstyle longer. All I know is i hope this hair thinning and shedding will stop.