Propecia and having babies

Big Perm

Reaction score
Has anyone had a baby while on propecia? Is this something I need to be concerned with as my wife and I are ready for one.

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
Big Perm said:
Has anyone had a baby while on propecia? Is this something I need to be concerned with as my wife and I are ready for one.

From: http://www.propecia.com/finasteride/pro ... .jsp#faq12

Can I take PROPECIA if my wife and I are starting a family?

Contact with the semen from a man being treated with PROPECIA is not a risk to the unborn child of a pregnant woman.

Yes, you can take PROPECIA if you and your wife are trying to conceive or if your wife is currently pregnant. However, women who are or may potentially be pregnant must not use PROPECIA and should not handle crushed or broken tablets of PROPECIA because doing so may cause abnormalities of a male baby’s sex organs.

PROPECIA is for MEN ONLY.

PROPECIA tablets are coated and will prevent contact with the active ingredient during normal handling, provided that the tablets have not been broken or crushed.

larry70470

Reaction score
Conceving and Propecia

I did a Google search on Propecia and conceiving children, there were several unbiased articles that raised concern, I would not attempt to have children if there was the slightest chance of something going wrong. Suggest doing a Google search, then consult your physician.
another interesting artical is per this site:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article255.htm

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Conceving and Propecia

larry70470 said:
I did a Google search on Propecia and conceiving children, there were several unbiased articles that raised concern, I would not attempt to have children if there was the slightest chance of something going wrong. Suggest doing a Google search, then consult your physician.
another interesting artical is per this site:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article255.htm

Interesting reading. Coincidentally, I have a minor case of hypospadias myself.

But my interpretation of the article is that it's safe to take Propecia while trying to conceive?

For what it's worth, I too googled the same kind if info 9 months ago when my wife and I started trying for a kid. I stopped taking Propecia at the time, simply due to the LACK of solid information, and especially lacking a safety endorsement from Merck.

Once Merck finally officially proclaimed it safe, I started taking it again. There are zero known cases of deformities from taking Propecia when conceiving a child, and the clinical data suggests it's basically impossible to cause problems.

I think people keep confusing the warnings regarding women TOUCHING the broken pills with men using it.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score

So did you conceive (not to get too personal)?

I too will soon be in your former quandary. If there's even a .00000001% risk, I'll go off of it. It's something that I can control, no matter the small risk. I haven't seen anything that says there's even that, though. I'm still doing some research and will be consulting my doctor for guidance.

Hopefully it's as the data says...zero risk...but I'd jump into a tire shredder before my vanity caused even a hangnail to my future child.

Siberian said:
For what it's worth, I too googled the same kind if info 9 months ago when my wife and I started trying for a kid. I stopped taking Propecia at the time, simply due to the LACK of solid information, and especially lacking a safety endorsement from Merck.

Once Merck finally officially proclaimed it safe, I started taking it again. There are zero known cases of deformities from taking Propecia when conceiving a child, and the clinical data suggests it's basically impossible to cause problems.

I think people keep confusing the warnings regarding women TOUCHING the broken pills with men using it.

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score

hairwegoagain said:
So did you conceive (not to get too personal)?

Nope, sadly, it didn't happen. A number of family tragedies kinda killed our sex life during that time, so lack of effort was definately a factor.

Or maybe my losing my hair again during that period made me less appealing, lol...

hairwegoagain said:
I too will soon be in your former quandary. If there's even a .00000001% risk, I'll go off of it.

Well, that is probably an accurate risk percentage - it's not zero. The risk, so far, is merely theoretical. But I suppose that is still a risk. But at these percentages, I wouldn't be surprised if Nizoral, Coca Cola, Tide, Ice Cream, etc. create identical risk factors. I mean... where do you draw the line? I guess that's a question we all have to answer for ourselves.

I continue taking it.