Propecia and having a child.

alruss

Reaction score
Hi all

QUick question - I know that women shouldnt handle finasteride. however I have read that a man's semen will include the chemical, and as such - if one wanted to have a child - would you have to discontinue propecia? If so for how long?

VWdude

Reaction score
Its safe to have a kid while on propecia. This often comes up as topic of discussion so you should do a search on it. Aslong as she doesnt handle it or take it herself she should be fine....but if it makes you feel better discontinue it for a while when you are trying to have a kid.

alruss

Reaction score
VWdude said:
Its safe to have a kid while on propecia. This often comes up as topic of discussion so you should do a search on it. Aslong as she doesnt handle it or take it herself she should be fine....but if it makes you feel better discontinue it for a while when you are trying to have a kid.

Many thanks - I will have a look. How long can a break be to:

a) be effective in regard to this issue
b) before you start to shed significantly - ie how long a break can you take and then restart without suffeirng grave folicle consequences (on average)

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
alruss said:
Many thanks - I will have a look. How long can a break be to:

a) be effective in regard to this issue
b) before you start to shed significantly - ie how long a break can you take and then restart without suffeirng grave folicle consequences (on average)

Merck originaly warned against conceiving or even having unprotected sex whilst on Propecia, there was a theoretical risk that finasteride in the semen could cause damage to a male childs sexual organ development.

The theoretical risk is not even at conception but many weeks later as the childs sexual organs reach a certain stage of development when you are less likely to be engaged in intercourse.

These risk assements where on extremely large dose tests on animal subjects, there as (as far as I know) been no examples of male sexual organ development problems reported in humans.

Merck have since withdrawn the warning as it would be unlikely that a pregnant woman would be ingesting unusually large amounts of finasteride at a particular point some weeks into a pregnancy. But to be cautious it is still thought prudent for a woman not to handle 'broken or crushed' Propecia (or Proscar) pills

Do some seaching on the issue, this has been brought up many times,

Also of interest (originally posted by Cornholio)

The in utero effects of finasteride exposure during the period of embryonic and foetal development were evaluated in the rhesus monkey (Gestation Days 20-100), a species more predictive of human development than rats or rabbits. Intravenous administration of finasteride to pregnant monkeys at doses as high as 800 ng/day (at least 750 times the highest estimated exposure of pregnant women to finasteride from semen of men taking 1 mg/day) resulted in no abnormalities in male foetuses. In confirmation of the relevance of the rhesus model for human foetal development, oral administration of a very high dose of finasteride (2 mg/kg/day; 100 times the recommended human dose of 1 mg/day or approximately 12 million times the highest estimated exposure to finasteride from semen of men taking 1 mg/day) to pregnant monkeys resulted in external genital abnormalities in male foetuses. No other abnormalities were observed in male foetuses and no finasteride-related abnormalities were observed in female foetuses at any dose.

excerpt from http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/Datash ... ciatab.htm

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
alruss said:

...????

It may take you months or even years to conceive.

If you are planning on stopping Propecia, prehaps you might want to consider moving to a topical solution as a replacement.

mark16v

Established Member
Reaction score
It took me about ten minutes mate

(to conceive)

I'd stop taking it for 2 weeks, and get at it like rabbits for another 2 weeks :) maybe make it a 2/3 times a day thing, the wife will love that one hey !! (joking)

Then get back on it, I don't know if it's good to start and stop though I'm interested in how the body will respond to finasteride after that? will it just resume things and carry on like before?