Propecia and facial hair

under20

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering whether propecia affects facial hair growth in any way. Ive read that DHT is what causes facial hair growth, so im guessing that propecia must affect it negativly. Wondering if all you guys on propecia are able to grow a beard like you were prior to starting on propecia and if any of you guys keep facial hair. Ive read about people on propecia who get patches in there beard and the facial hair hair growth has significantly slowed down, are these claims common or is it a rare side effect? The reason im askin is because im about to start on propecia and ive have a chin strap for the last 3 years and the ladies love it, so im hoping that propecia wont stop my facial hair growth. Just like the hair on my head is an essential part of my look that i dont want to lose, i dont want to lose the hair on my face. thanks your responses would be much appreciated.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
I do believe anti-DHT stops development, not growth. So if you have a beard now, you'll still have one. If you don't, then you will never!

Hair.worth.it

Reaction score
Well, Rage, then I'm must be f***in' screwed!!! My beard is not fully developed yet! Listen to my story:

I took finasteride for 2 and a half years straight. I was 18 when I began and 20 when I dropped. My facial hair was progressively filling in before the pills usage. However, facial hair is patchy and asymmetric in many areas.

It can't be genetics. Every man on my family (on both sides) have (or had) "alpha" beards. Looking at pictures from my father's graduation, his face was quite furry.

I'm not sure if my hormones are all messed up to a irreversible situation. If that's so, then I should find ways to increase testosterone (including its free form), keep DHT at healthy levels and (if that's possible) get a higher distribution of androgen receptors (found along the face).

Facial hair is cool. Although incomplete, I like having it! I just don't like to shave every week.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairs all over my body falling out..I used to have hairy legs and arms (for an asian man) but now hairs there are patchy! and my eye lashes and eyebrows are thinning out too..

Hammer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have wondered this.

However I've always been a bit of a slow developer regarding body hair. E.g. when I was 18 I still didn't have proper hairs under my arms, yet my younger brothers and counsins ages 14 - 17 did.

I didn't grow proper pubes until I was at least 16-17.

I'm 25 now. I shave daily but could never grow a proper beard, yet my brothers aged 21 and 23 can. I also have no chest hair whatsoever whereas they do. I started taking finasteride when I was 22 so it's possible that it's inhibited my ability to grow chest and proper facial hair, but as above I was a late developer anyway.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Common question. My opinion is facial hair/body hair develop solely from androgens but that includes all male androgens not just DHT so propecia might prevent but will not significantly reverse anything afterwards. Hair on your head can be more sensitive to androgens than body hair so I dont think in all people its the same, but I would say a very hairy man is much more likely to go bald then a man with none.

boobyinspector

Established Member
Reaction score
My facial hair got way more thicker/dense since starting finasteride. I don't believe DHT is necessarily going to be the only thing responsible for facial hair. Given that most men get more of their facial hair/body hair developed as they age. Yet testosterone/dHT falls greatly as men age.

Cook

Reaction score
yeah..asked the same thing before
i started finasteride at 19 and 1/3 or something like that ..my facial hair keeped developing and now in my 20 i got a denser beard and it's still filling in ,even tough the dht is blocked..the only difference is it grows slower..so i have to shave less often.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Do androgens in men fall as they age? Im sure in some men but does that happen in most? Androgens definitely play a major role maybe its just in triggering body hair to go terminal and then something else allows it to continue, but I mean comparing men to women clearly androgens are a big player.

boobyinspector

Established Member
Reaction score
It's called dna :p Get a DHEA based cream and apply it to your face. Better skin and some of it will convert to DHT right in the local tissue. You don't have to worry about much getting into blood.