Propecia - 6 Months Shedding - Stop Or Continue?

Mac12345

My Regimen
Reaction score
Started Propecia in February after I noticed receeding on the temples.

Been shedding every day from week 2 up until now - 6 months later.

I feel my hair is thinner on top, particularly more on the temples where I first noticed the receeding.

What is going on? An adverse reaction? Is my scalp more susceptible to the increase in Testosterone from Propecia?

Do I give up on this depressing cycle or carry on? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

violetfluff

Reaction score
I'm afraid 6 months is not enough for many . Shedding can be high but what is the regrowth rate?. I didn't get a visible benefit until after 12 months. Some people are even longer.

Mac12345

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you suggest I get back on it?

What is the explanation for a constant 6 months shedding? I mean, I can understand a couple of weeks or even a month for the body to adapt to the medication but 6 months seems excessive.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score

What is the explanation for a constant 6 months shedding? I mean, I can understand a couple of weeks or even a month for the body to adapt to the medication but 6 months seems excessive.
How is your situation now?

rafiles

Established Member
Reaction score

Do you use only Propecia.

What was shedding rate before finasteride

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you use only Propecia.

What was shedding rate before finasteride
I was gonna do a post about it.
Shedding before propecia 300+ hairs a day (hairs everywere and can pull them out easily). Hair is rapidly minituarizing and losing thickness in shaft.
After propecia the first 3 months less shedding but still receding. And last 2 months losing 300+ hairs a day again..

rafiles

Established Member
Reaction score
I was gonna do a post about it.
Shedding before propecia 300+ hairs a day (hairs everywere and can pull them out easily). Hair is rapidly minituarizing and losing thickness in shaft.
After propecia the first 3 months less shedding but still receding. And last 2 months losing 300+ hairs a day again..

I would suggest you to check your hormones. If your DHT is low and you still have that much hair loss, then you should look at other factors.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would suggest you to check your hormones. If your DHT is low and you still have that much hair loss, then you should look at other factors.
Well i had my DHT checked last week and my results are:

0.53 nmol/l (range 0.34 - 2.87). I don't have baseline test but i think my DHT is low? Or must it be lower and is dutasteride an option?

What other factors could there be if DHT is not the problem?

rafiles

Established Member
Reaction score
Well i had my DHT checked last week and my results are:

0.53 nmol/l (range 0.34 - 2.87). I don't have baseline test but i think my DHT is low? Or must it be lower and is dutasteride an option?

What other factors could there be if DHT is not the problem?

I would test it 1 year. Normally shedding under finasteride is a good sign
(hair growth, thickness). I myself hadn`t shedding under finasteride, but no regrowth either.

You can check irone for example