Propecia 1st Year

jlane

Reaction score
Guys I started Propecia at the end of december. Around 1 month later I started a major shed (hair falls out all day and I notice it everywhere )which has been continuing since and I am now in my 4th month of treatment. Also until I started to get on Nizoral I had massive amounts of itch and dandruff but that is taken care of. I have noticed a lot more oil on my forehead too. Do you think this medicine is working for me or should I cut my loss's.

FlashDance

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey dude. I have the same issue. My scalp also hurts all the time now. I am going to use the rest of my current pills, then consider dropping it. It's not worth this constant pain :(!

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed that the skin on my face is oilier since I started propecia.

The shed suggests that its working.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
my scalp is hurting but I know it is from the balding process. Those are the only places it hurts and itches. I though if propecia was working then those symptoms would taper back. I will see it through my year supply and then I am off it if I see no improvement. Time to buzz/shave soon.

chino20

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey jlane. All I can offer to you is my experience. I started finasteride at around febuary of last year, and about 2 months later I started shedding a LOT. The shed pretty much went on and on, maybe with a few breaks, until around november. Then I started minoxidil and I shedded again from that, but not as much. Also, during the first few months of propecia, I would also get scalp pain, but I haven't had it for ages.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the scalp pain will stop, the shedding may or may not stop, but even so, it won't really make that much cosmetic difference to your hair so just don't worryabout it!

pologuy514

Established Member
Reaction score
My scalp hurts as well since starting propecia. I've been on it since last august so around 9 months now. I always thought it was because i had dandruff or my diet wasn't healthy enough. I never thought it was the propecia.

-Pologuy

kale smith

Reaction score
finasteride, itching, shedding

Ive been on finasteride for about 9 months now and am considering dropping beecause of the tremendous itching and constant scalp discomfort....in the last few weeks Ive noticed that the shedding has accelerated alot. The Nizoral hasnt helped me at all so far. this really sucks and Im starting to wonder if it would have been better to not start finasteride at all. has anyone made through the itching and shedding with success or should I cut my losses?

hans

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... i felt like quitting around the 9th month too because i had crazy sheds for a while. Also, my scalp itched alot (still does from time to time). Right now im probably 16months into it and at the 1 year mark i noticed my hair finally getting darker and thicker. I hope you guys can ride it out til the 1 yr mark before making any decisions on quitting.

pologuy514

Established Member
Reaction score
I plan on riding out propecia for a year. I'm close now at 9 months. I figure it will be worth it if I get some great results. Best of luck to you all.

Hmph!

Reaction score
"
I've been on propecia for 9 months and, the shedding started in month 2, and still continueing...
I've never seen anybody shedding like 250 to 500 hair every day on this board. That's what I'm loosing.
Once a month or so, I rinse my hair in a bath tub after washing my hair and count them. Usually ther are more than 250 hairs in there.
Pretty depressing. I've been very patient for long time, hoping for a good regrowth after the shed but, the shed doesn't seem to be ending...
I had absolutely no sign of thinning on my crown befor I started taking finasteride 9 months ago but now, I'm very thin on the crown. Despite the fact that I'm losing so much hair every day, I am also surprised that I am not completely bald yet! Means I'm regrowing some hair?!
I really want to stop taking finasteride and, see if things improve. On the other hand, it will be such a waste to quit if I'm expecting a regrowth after this long shed.

My question is, is it possible for someone to be shedding (good sheddign for regrowth) for such a long time and expect improvemnt?"

That was a straight quote from male pattern baldness Thoroughbred, but as my situation is identical, i decided to use it.

So do you have any other advice than "just ride it out?"

ppe500

Reaction score
7 months and shedding

May 15th will be month number 7. I was shedding before but in the last 2 weeks shedding has increased significantly; I have been able to count a bit above 100 hairs a day. SCARY! My crown is thining and my temples keep thining too. I do hope this works. Similar experiences? I need an emotional lift!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Do you guys use genric finasteride or Propecia? I am just curious.

pologuy514

Established Member
Reaction score
Regular propecia is what I use. They just jumped up the rates on it too which is unfortunate.

pologuy514

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on Propecia now a year and 5 months. The scalp discomfort is still there. I just ran out of my month supply and thinking of stopping it . . but there really aren't any good alternatives. My scalp feels better 2 days after running out. I kind of miss this.

-Pologuy