Propecia 1mg report after 4 years

erik

Reaction score
Hi all,

oh, how time flies! I've now been using Propecia/Proscar for 4 years! I wouldn't have expected this when I begun my experiment but since it's easy as a-b-c and my hair just want drop, I'm still continuing! I bought a new package of Proscar today and that reminded me about this forum, I happily forgot this in a day or two always after posting my reports. But I remember how unsure I was in the beginning about side-effects and finastreride usefulness I thought I shall post again an encouragement to you who doubt that hairloss can't be stopped.

I'll quote my previous "report" below mostly as very little has changed after that. In general I could say that during these 4 years nobody has noticed any thinning in my hair (at least not said to me) and those few people I've told about me using medicine to fight hairloss (2 girlfriends, 2 other friends) have been surprised and doubted that do I really need it? Well, after initial hairloss and starting with finastreride my hairloss has stopped so I think it's been worthwhile. Anyway, below is my "standard" report.. I guess I'll post one more after a year if I remember and then stop if nothing special happens.

I've now been using Propecia/Proscar 1mg for 4 years and do not have much to report: I'm not losing hair, no regrowth noticed, side-effects almost zero (some problems in the beginning) but most important thing is that I do not think the whole balding business anymore at all! I take my pill in the morning and that's it. Just like brushing my teeth, doesn't require very much thinking. Even coming to write this report to this forum was almost too much of effort.

(Above are the same words I used 12 and 36 months ago in my previous report. Nothing has changed since, my hair looks good, no thinning and even I have some times difficulties to see the spot with a mirror).

Also, I still think what I thought 2 years ago:

My advice is still: try Propecia, you don't know if you don't try. Be prepared that your body may take a month or so to adapt to finasteride. If after three months or so you still have problems, seriously consider quitting.

And use camera! I'm a bit disappointed that I don't have a photos from my head during this time.

Old reports of mine below (oldest first):

viewtopic.php?t=4572
viewtopic.php?t=4923
viewtopic.php?t=6508
viewtopic.php?t=7887
viewtopic.php?t=9385
viewtopic.php?t=10806
viewtopic.php?t=29895

This will probably be my last report in a while. Maybe a year or two later if and when I quit finasteride I'll come back but who knows. I'm now 31 years old and the whole balding business doesn't get me scared at all nowadays like it used to do 4 or 5 years ago. But as I said, my hair looks good and strong so things look just fine.

Anyway, good luck to you all!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
thanks for taking your time for the update, your effort is much appreciated.

vipergts

Established Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked for you. However for me during the time I took propecia (11 months) my hair has become the worse it has ever been....I have lost almost half my density. Now that I have cut back dosage to 0.25 my shedding has gone down for the first time ever. I am now positive that DHTis not the only problem as far hairloss goes. In my case perhaps my hair is too sensitive to Testosterone? I wish I had never taken Propecia because I was doing rather well with Topical spironolactone and minoxidil...oh well, I was just trying to be proactive.

messm0rph

Reaction score
vipergts said:
Glad it worked for you. However for me during the time I took propecia (11 months) my hair has become the worse it has ever been....I have lost almost half my density. Now that I have cut back dosage to 0.25 my shedding has gone down for the first time ever. I am now positive that DHTis not the only problem as far hairloss goes. In my case perhaps my hair is too sensitive to Testosterone? I wish I had never taken Propecia because I was doing rather well with Topical spironolactone and minoxidil...oh well, I was just trying to be proactive.

Dude you did the wrong thing BIG TME. When I started Propecia I felt my hair getting worse and worse. At its peak it shed like crazy and I was like WTF. I was almost going to quit the propecia. Just under 12 months the shedding stopped and over the next 6 months my hair grew back and was thicker / better then when i started.

proscary

Reaction score
that's exactly what's happening to me. hopefully. right now i'm losing my mind, because i'd been on propecia/proscar for the last 18 months with no sides, no significant loss, no regrowth, and i wasn't thinking about it too much. all of a sudden for the past 2 months i lost so much density i can't even bear to look in the mirror. for the past 2 months for the first time i have a noticably itchy scalp and dandruff. now my shower drain, pillow, and sink are scaring the hell out of me. i run my hand through and get 10 hairs EVERY time. these are not weak-looking hairs. i don't know what to do and why this is happening at this late stage of the game...i'm scrambling now for anything that will stop this shedding/loss...
wtf?

charlieparker

Reaction score
I also had a major shed around the 16 month mark. I had noticed no change the whole time, continued hair loss at the regular pace. Then I hit the huge shed and kinda freaked and buzzed my head. I kept it buzzed for the next two months and continued finasteride out of desperation I guess. It was great to have it buzzed, completely took my mind off my problem. I had a job interview coming up though and started letting my hair come in again to appease my mother. Sure enough, at about the 18 month point on finasteride, not one hair would come off my head. In the shower, pillow, sink, nothing. Stayed that way for a few months, then a shed, then back to solid hair. It's been cycling a little but nothing lost nothing gained. For you panicking people, stick it out for 2 years until you make an decisions. Unless you are having bad sides there's really nothing to lose, and much to gain. Just use inhousepharmacy if it's too pricey. Don't let your paranoia lead you to make a bad decision..