Promising new topical

BH 90 NWtwo 10

Established Member
Reaction score
SAN DIEGO — AndroScience Corporation, a privately held biotech company, has successfully filed an IND with the FDA for a new topical acne medication and will proceed with human clinical trials in the first quarter of 2007.

The new compound called ASC-J9 is a “novel anti-androgen that enhances androgen receptor degradation.â€￾ The product will be compounded into a topical cream that will be tested as an acne treatment.

AndroScience recently discovered and patented their family of compounds which are derived from natural products. They claim these compounds selectively enhance androgen receptor degradation and do not affect endogenous androgens, testosterone or dihydrotestosterone (DHT).

This is a very interesting and exciting potential treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia.

Conventional hair loss treatments like Propecia work by reducing the bodies’ production of DHT, the hormone that causes male pattern baldness (male pattern baldness). The problem is that a reduction of DHT in the body can lead to unwanted side effects.

One way around this is to attack the problem in a different way and to block the androgen receptor sites where the DHT attaches to the cells, thus preventing the DHT from harming the hair follicle.

What this new compound appears to do is to go one step further and actually damage or degrade the androgen receptors. Since it’s a topical product it should allow a hair follicle to essentially become immune to the effects of DHT while not causing any other side effects in the body.

If this does work as intended it could be a huge breakthrough in hair loss treatments.

AndroScience won the Third Place Award (out of >900 posters) for its presentation entitled “Androgen Receptor Degradation (ARD) Enhancer: A Potential Application for Topical Treatment of Acne Vulgarisâ€￾ at the Annual Meeting of American Academy of Dermatology in March of 2006; and in July 2006, AndroScience was awarded a Phase II SBIR grant ($800,000) from the NIH to develop ASC-J9 for acne treatment.

abcdefg

Reaction score
this is a curcumin analogue from what I hear, but I still wonder what is difference between curcumin supplement and there analogue ascj-9? Is curcumin a good supplement to take then?

mjd50

Reaction score
would this be of use to people who have already lost hair??
my first guess would be no but, people have regrowth with finasteride.
I've always wondered if we know for sure how destrcutive male pattern baldness can be to the follicles. I mean we have seen people get regrowth on areas that are almost totally without hair. Let's say this new product did whatever it was supposed to really well, wouldn't it also be able to allow people regrow hair in bald areas.

Obviously I want the answer to be yes!!!