Progress With Propecia For Slight Hair Loss At 50

GeorgeM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, first post. I thought I would share my discovery of hair loss and my planned journey over the next few weeks. I'll start by saying that I know I am very lucky, just hit 50 and starting to lose some hair on my crown. Nothing drastic, no hair on the pillow or in the shower but it is starting to get a little thin on the crown. I've taken my first Propecia tablet today and I'm planning on taking one every other day. I'm also going for a short cut at the end of the week so I can track progress. I've uploaded some pics and will share some more on the weekend. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4938.JPG
    IMG_4938.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_4939.JPG
    IMG_4939.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_4937.JPG
    IMG_4937.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_4936.JPG
    IMG_4936.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 354

GeorgeM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also started taking Biotin a week ago which seems to have made a difference to the general health of my hair.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course my first thought was "why bother with finasteride if you're just starting to have minor loss at age 50. But don't take it as judgement. Do keep us posted on how ut works for you and whether you are sides free. Also, i doubt you would see any improvement from biotin (if any) within a week of use.

GeorgeM

My Regimen
Reaction score
No worries, I guess it can be a concern whatever age. I'm thankful that I have had no issues until now. I'll keep updating over the next few weeks just so people can see if there is any progress. I'm assuming my crown will look a lot worse after my short cut this weekend. Is there an issue with taking this at 50?

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No worries, I guess it can be a concern whatever age. I'm thankful that I have had no issues until now. I'll keep updating over the next few weeks just so people can see if there is any progress. I'm assuming my crown will look a lot worse after my short cut this weekend. Is there an issue with taking this at 50?

I really don't know if there's a particular issue with taking it at 50. I was just wondering (considering all the side effects reports) if it's worth the risks...

Jaka

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Approximately 2%-3% of men get side effects from taking propecia/finasteride. Sometimes i feel like they are all here on this site. If you have any issues just go back to your doctor to discuss it. Good luck with your journey.

GeorgeM

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thought I would update again, still taking finasteride, BP was elevated so spent some time losing weight and adjusting diet. My hair loss sort of reversed from where it was, going to probably slowly come off finasteride and see what happens then. But thankful for where I am at my age now.

Attachments

• IMG_8416 2.jpg
    IMG_8416 2.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_8414 2.jpg
    IMG_8414 2.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 155

jamesrav2

Reaction score
why would you think DHT at age 50 is just starting to affect your hair growth? It would seem like it should have done its damage long ago. My brother had an afro at age 17 and was a norwood 5 a few years later. Now that's DHT and a genetic pre-disposition at its worst. I wasnt as badly affected, temple recession, major crown thinning but hairline largely intact. Again, no doubt DHT and genetics doing its bad thing in my mid 20's. To reach 50 with almost no loss anywhere, and now just a bit of thinning in a small area of the crown would seem to argue for minoxidil rather than disrupting your DHT levels. Unless you think its a potential win-win if it keeps your prostate from enlarging.