Professor Sinclair, Melbourne University?

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a quote from a recent article on hair cloning entitled 'Race On To Be The First To Clone Hair Follicles' (at www.ukmedix.com):

« [...] The race is on however as scientists in Australia are also busy trying to extract stem cells from existing hair follicles and get them to spawn fresh hair follicles in the laboratory. The work which is being done at St Vincent's Hospital and Melbourne University is extremely complicated and need many more years work before it will be ready.

Professor Sinclair who is leading the Australian research explained that stem cells come from the base of the hair follicles in something called the dermal papilla and that the idea is that they will be able to replicate them. However to date they have been unable to get the cells to replicate but they are hopeful they soon will get results. Professor Sinclair also commented on the research being done by Intercytex and said that it was possible they were having problems in getting the “cells to reaggregateâ€￾. [...] »

The article is not very clear. Who is this Professor Sinclair? Where can we find out more on this subject? Any info?

By the way, the article also says that the best baldness drug currently available is Propecia and hair cloning is still a decade away.

ComeOnPropy

Established Member
Reaction score
Australia is usually pretty active in medicine and cures for things, i hope the doctor is ill informed because yeah decades away is a pretty bold statement.

Boondock

Reaction score
See this thread for a bit more on Sinclair and the Australian team: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=53640

Also, Sinclair said that he thought it could be a decade away, not decades away. I consider this a fairly reasonable assessment.

ComeOnPropy

Established Member
Reaction score
^^ Point taken, i misread. Yeah a decade away isnt to far off, i guess it depends what age demograph you fall into im 24, so seeing hair when im 34 is still pretty good i would guess.

Boondock

Reaction score
^^ Point taken, i misread. Yeah a decade away isnt to far off, i guess it depends what age demograph you fall into im 24, so seeing hair when im 34 is still pretty good i would guess.

Absolutely, I'm in the same age group and I feel the same way. If this treatment came out in a year or two years, I probably wouldn't have the cash for it anyway.

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score
Boondock said:
See this thread for a bit more on Sinclair and the Australian team: [...]

Fascinating stuff, thank you guys.

Yes, Australians have a great record when it comes to scientific research. Let's keep our fingers crossed.