Product reviews - let us know what you've tried and if it worked!

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been meaning to set up this thread for some time and have finally got around to it. I thought it would be helpful for us to post reviews of products that we use as part of our hair system routine, so anything from glues, scalp protectors, shampoos, dyes etc.

Whatever the product - even if it isn't really a hair product - if you've tried it on your hair, then let's share the experience so that we can all learn together.

It would be good if we stick to a standard template for reviews. I'll start things off and am happy if this evolves.

Might be handy if Admin can make this thread a sticky.

Last edited:

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Product name
NYX Professional Makeup Shine Killer

Link
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NYX-Professional-Makeup-Shine-Killer/dp/B0072FTOW6

Cost
Around £11. Currently on offer at Boots for £7.33

Product Description. For example: What it is used for? How do you use it? Any other comments?
Shine Killer is actually a makeup product that is used on the face to prevent shine and to create a matte look on top of which makeup can be applied. It is like a clear cream and very easy to apply.
I have bought this to use on my hairline, on a UTS system, because as we all know UTS often has a problem with shine.
At first I tried it on my scalp (at the hairline), on top of the glue after it had cured, but this was pointless because it completely broke down the glue and the system didn’t stick at all.
So instead I attached my system as normal, and then put a tiny bit of the Shine Killer on top of the UTS itself, again just at the hairline. It did the trick. The UTS was not as invisible as I’d like, but it was a heck of a lot better now. Bear in mind that my UTS system is 3 months old now.
I will note that I only use this occasionally, when I am going out and when I expect to only be out for a few hours. This is because the cream can wear off quite easily, for example if you rub the UTS - not really a major problem, but I am a bit of a perfectionist.

Score out of 10?
7/10. Could be better if it wouldn't wear off so easily/quickly and didn't degrade the bond. But I haven't found anything better so far.

Would you recommend it? Please explain your reasoning.
Yes - to hide UTS at the hairline. I don’t know the effect it would have on lace, because the cream might break down the bond quicker.
If you have hairline ‘shine’ problems then it is definitely worth a try.

What alternatives would you recommend?
For hiding shine, none are better than this so far. I would be keen to hear if anyone else has other recommendations.

Last edited:

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Product name
True Tape Stop Shine Dab-on Shine Reducer

Link
https://www.hairdirect.com/store/attachment/truetapestopshinedabonshinereducer13ounces
https://www.superhairpieces.com/stop-shine-1-3-oz/

Cost
Varies around £8 now but I paid £13 from eBay.

Product Description. For example: What it is used for? How do you use it? Any other comments?
This is a liquid that is dabbed directly onto your tape or glue. The purpose is to reduce the shine that shows through on the lace or UTS system at the hairline.
I tried using it as per the instructions: I applied the glue, let it cure and then I dabbed on the Stop Shine liquid. I rubbed the liquid until it was dry / tacky and then I stuck the UTS system down.
The product did not affect the bond. However, it did not take away any of the shine either.

Score out of 10?
1/10 for UTS. Maybe it will work on lace systems.

No – it didn’t work even a bit for my UTS shine. This is a real shame because I had high hopes for it, especially because it is made by True Tape. Maybe it will work better on tape / lace combinations.

Or maybe I am using it wrong. I would be happy to be corrected!

For hiding shine, only Shine Killer so far. I have hopes that one day there will be something better.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Product name
Aussie Miracle Hair Insurance Conditioner Detangler Spray

Link

Cost
Varies around £5 per 250ml spray bottle

No complicated description here. Just a really good leave-in conditioner. I first spray water on my hair and then plenty of this leave-in conditioner. Then I style as needed. The conditioner leaves a nice natural shine and provides a soft hold. It adds a little weight (just enough) to the hair.

I've been using this for a few months now and absolutely love it for daily use and styling. I never use gels or hairsprays any more.

Score out of 10?
9/10.

Yes. Probably the best leave-in conditioner I have used yet.

"Revlon Equave Hydro Nutritive Detangling Conditioner" - also very good but with a slightly harder hold to it. Might be better for short hair, whereas my hair is a little longer now (than my previous system) so I prefer the softer hold.