Procyanidin B-2 Therapy Shows Potential As A Safe And Promising Cure For Male Pattern Baldness.???

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you know what happen with Watanabe investigatios about procyanidin

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11194183
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11406858

Phytomedicine. 2000 Dec;7(6):529-36.
Investigation of topical application of procyanidin B-2 from apple to identify its potential use as a hair growing agent.
Kamimura A1, Takahashi T, Watanabe Y.
Author information
Abstract

Procyanidin B-2 is a polyphenol compound we have identified in apple which acts as a hair-growing factor in the murine model both in vitro and in vivo. This report describes our investigation of the effects of 1% procyanidin B-2 tonic on human hair growth after sequential use for 6 months. A double-blind clinical test involving a total of 29 subjects was performed. Nineteen men in the procyanidin B-2 group and 10 men in the placebo control group were subjected to analyses. No adverse side effects were observed in either group. The hair-growing effect was evaluated using a macrophotography technique combined with measurements of the hair diameter of clipped hairs. The increase in number of total hairs in the designated scalp area (0.5 cm square = 0.25 cm2 area) of procyanidin B-2 group subjects after the 6-month trial was significantly greater than that of the placebo control group subjects (procyanidin B-2, 6.68 +/- 5.53 (mean +/- SD)/0.25 cm2; placebo, 0.08 +/- 4.56 (mean +/- SD)/0.25 cm2; P < 0.005, two-sample t test). The increase in number of terminal hairs, which are defined as hairs more than 60 microm in diameter, in the designated area (0.5 cm square = 0.25 cm2 area) of the procyanidin B-2 group subjects after the 6-month trial was significantly greater than that of the placebo control group subjects (procyanidin B-2, 1.99 +/- 2.58 (mean +/- SD)/0.25 cm2; placebo, -0.82 +/- 3.40 (mean +/- SD)/0.25 cm2; P < 0.02, two-sample t test). Procyanidin B-2 therapy shows potential as a safe and promising cure for male pattern baldness.

Phytother Res. 2001 Jun;15(4):331-6.
The first clinical trial of topical application of procyanidin B-2 to investigate its potential as a hair growing agent.
Takahashi T1, Kamimura A, Yokoo Y, Honda S, Watanabe Y.
Author information
Abstract

Procyanidin B-2 is a compound we have identified in apple which acts as a growth-promoting factor on murine hair epithelial cells. This report describes our investigation of the hair-growing effects of 1% procyanidin B-2 tonic after sequential use for 4 months. A double-blind clinical trial was performed, involving a total of 29 subjects (procyanidin B-2, 19 men; placebo, 10 men). No adverse side effects were observed in either group. In the procyanidin B-2 group, 78.9% showed an increased mean value of hair diameter, whereas only 30.0% in the placebo group showed any increase (p < 0.02, Fisher's exact probability test). The increased ratio of hairs measuring more than 40 microm in diameter after 4 months of procyanidin B-2 treatment was significantly higher than that of the placebo controls (p < 0.05, two-sample-t-test). The increase in number of total hairs in the designated scalp area (0.25 cm(2)) of procyanidin B-2 subjects after a 4 month trial was significantly greater than that of the placebo controls (procyanidin-B-2, 3.67 +/- 4.09 (mean +/- SD)/0.25 cm(2); placebo, -2.54 +/- 4.00/0.25 cm(2); p < 0.001, two-sample t-test). Procyanidin B-2 therapy shows potential as a promising cure for male pattern baldness.

Switzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Another study: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1473-2165.2005.00199.x/abstract

Summary
Background:  Procyanidins are a family of condensed tannins, which have been shown to possess hair-growing activity in both the in vitro and in vivo murine models.

Aims:  We report a 12-month clinical study aimed at treating male pattern baldness by external application of 0.7% apple procyanidin oligomers.

Patients/methods:  A double-blind clinical test involving a total of 43 subjects was performed. Twenty-one men in the procyanidin group and 22 men in the placebo control group were subjected to analysis. In the first 6 months, we compared the procyanidin and the placebo groups to assess the medicinal effects of procyanidin oligomers. The application time of the procyanidin group was subsequently extended to 12 months, and the time course of its remedial value was examined.

Results:  The increase in total number of hairs in a designated scalp area of the procyanidin group subjects after the 6-month trial was significantly greater than that of the placebo control group subjects (procyanidin, 3.3 ± 13.0 (mean ± SD)/0.50 cm2; placebo, −3.6 ± 8.1/0.50 cm2; P < 0.001, two-sample t-test). Time course-dependent improvement in hair density was observed in the procyanidin subjects. No adverse side effects were observed in any of the subjects. Procyanidin therapy thus shows potential hair-growing activity.

Pics from the study:
Figure 3.png
Figure 4.png

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Switzer
Thank you for the paper, but it is a double placebo test with only 30 patients

I hope more people using this product

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't Procyanidin an active ingredient in grape seed extract which has been trialed for millions of millions of times by pro-natural forums?

monoid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't Procyanidin an active ingredient in grape seed extract which has been trialed for millions of millions of times by pro-natural forums?
Yep. A class of flavonoids.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The photos are the best I've come across so far. Not sure if I should be happy our sad about this.

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
Attached is the full text of all four studies. I wonder why research stopped.

Attachments

• takahashi2005.pdf
    204.2 KB · Views: 463
  • kamimura2002.pdf
    445 KB · Views: 316
  • takahashi2001.pdf
    98 KB · Views: 379
  • kamimura2000.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 539

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
@Swoop Lend your eyes to the above? Any merit to this? The pictures above (in Takashi et al 2005) are impressive.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does it help you?
Who could say?
I use it in conjunction with 5% minoxidil and topical anti androgens.
So what is working I do not know. I am not losing ground at 44 but I could never say if it is minoxidil or finasteride or anti androgens or procyanidin or dermarolling.
Since there is no "unified theory" of hairloss, I use all that has been shown to help.

resu

Reaction score
Those photos look good but as always the before set of photos is always the brighter, check the background but they weren't taken on the same day, you can tell the first guy had a new haircut if you brighten the photo so there's some legitimately at least.