Previous Alopecia Areta Returning After Many Years

tigey

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I was in my mid 20's i began to get bumps on my head filled with fluid. Soon after all the hair would fall out in about an inch diameter spot. I went to the dermatologist and he said it was folliculitis, and prescribed be an antibiotic. I got a second opinion from andother dermatologist, and he told me it was AA. However he informed me was nothing that could be done, just wait and maybe the hair would grow back. He said it wasnt a heath concern, only cosmetic. The condition eventually stopped, however the hair never fully grew back. I would say maybe about 25% grew back in those spots. Basically I wore my hair long in order to hide the patches or wear a hat. Now I am in my 40's and to my horror another bump recently appeared. Sure enough the hair fell out in this location. My AA returned after 20 years of hiding. So, decided to buy Minoxodil 5% solution from the pharmacy and applied it every day. 3 months have since passed, and the hair in my latest AA spot has grown back fully! Im very happy about this. I also applied the Minoxodil to the old patches, however there seems to be no effect. Is it possible for the Minoxodil to work on the old bald spots? Or are those hair follicles dead and gone years ago? Am I wasting my time, or should I continue? Thanks for your input.