Prevention before it starts

guest1717

Reaction score
Maybe you guys can school me on this, I've been doing my own research and reading up on some of the articles on this site, but just wanted more clarity.

So i just learned about the whole Propecia/Rogaine/Nizoral combo, and even though I haven't shown signs of balding yet (23 years old, dad is bald, all his brothers are bald) I just wanted to know if it would be smart to start something up before the condition kicks in. I know that Propecia is for hair maintenance, and that Revivogen/Spironolactone is an alternative for it without the side affects.

I just wanted to know, would it make sense to maybe start the topical stuff on a small scale now even though I don't have a receding hairline or bald spot on the back? Is it kind of a help/not hurt situation? How about Nizoral, is it the same deal? Or is it better to just not start any of this right now. The reason I ask is I don't want to have a bald spot and a receding hairline and then decide to start this stuff when i've already lost a good portion of my hair. Maybe it doesn't happen as fast as I think. Any commentary would be appreciated

gte

Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in this also, although I have started to show signs, especially since the Rogaine I tried accelerated the hair loss, be it temporary or permanent I don't know.

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
You guys should both start showering with Nizoral 2 or 3 times a week. That alone can leave baldness at bay for awhile.

gte

Reaction score
Thanks lobster.

I visited both CVS and Walgreens on my drive home and neither had Nizoral. Is there another national chain I could check to purchase it, if not where should I get it online?

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
Amazon. It's annoying, I know. There's some shortage on the shampoo in stores.

And gte, the Nizoral will greatly help you out with the Rogaine. A healthy scalp will aid the progress.

gte

Reaction score
Are you saying I should continue with the Rogaine after I get the Nizoral? I'm pretty gun shy about the Rogaine after the thinning it caused.

guest1717

Reaction score
Does Nizoral cause shedding also or is that just the topical stuff? I would only use the 1% one once or twice a week if i did make the switch. I use some SLS-free oil based one right now since I heard awhile back that SLS is bad for your hair

lobsterlobster

Established Member
Reaction score
gte, only if you want to continue the minoxidil. it's your hair and you know it best

guest, no nizoral doesn't cause a shed. get the shampoo, and yeah it's no hastle

- - - Updated - - -

just leave it on 5 minutes in the shower. important

abcdefg

Reaction score
Revivogen/Spironolactone is not really a substitute for propecia they probably wont work nearly as well if either of them works at all. There is literally zero if anything but a few tiny studies showing either of these does anything. Its just theorized they should help. Propecia is our only real option but its a gamble in terms of safety or problems I am not sure its safe enough to take for just prevention but hopefully someday we will have a topical to do that with some proof it works.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride to prevent baldness!!!!?????? I don't think that messing with our hormones is good for the scalp hair...