Preventing Hairloss From A Young Age ?

DHTcel

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...to-weakest-antiandrogens.123173/#post-1806158

here is my thread on the strongest to weakest oral anti androgens for hair loss. finasteride won't do anything for someone who starts balding before 20. Finasteride is the weakest antiandrogen since it reduces androgenic activity in androgen dependent tissue by only 25%. Dutasteride is a little stronger and reduces androgenic activity by 35%. If you start balding at 14-16 then that means you are likely sensitive to even a little androgenic activity in the body since that is the timeframe when men hit tanner stage 2 in puberty and testosterone levels skyrocket from increased LH and FSH.

if u think DHT causes baldness, you are wrong. Just look at how many men on dutasteride/finasteride for BPH still develop prostate cancer from testosterone alone. This is relevant because prostate cancer gene is encrypted in the Androgen X chromosome, the same chromosome that carries the genes for scalp hair.
me and @Ikarus started balding at 14-15. dutasteride didn't stop our hair loss. same thing for @hemingway_the_mercenary

Drextez

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...to-weakest-antiandrogens.123173/#post-1806158

here is my thread on the strongest to weakest oral anti androgens for hair loss. finasteride won't do anything for someone who starts balding before 20. Finasteride is the weakest antiandrogen since it reduces androgenic activity in androgen dependent tissue by only 25%. Dutasteride is a little stronger and reduces androgenic activity by 35%. If you start balding at 14-16 then that means you are likely sensitive to even a little androgenic activity in the body since that is the timeframe when men hit tanner stage 2 in puberty and testosterone levels skyrocket from increased LH and FSH.

if u think DHT causes baldness, you are wrong. Just look at how many men on dutasteride/finasteride for BPH still develop prostate cancer from testosterone alone. This is relevant because prostate cancer gene is encrypted in the Androgen X chromosome, the same chromosome that carries the genes for scalp hair.

From my point on view, what is causing male pattern baldness can be dht or testosterone or both hormones at the same time, it all depends on your sensitivity/androgen receptors.

I was 18, full head of hair and alot of testosterone in me, but i started losing hair at 19 and a half years old, now i turned 21 and started taking 1mg finasteride 10 days ago. it seems to have stopped hairloss and im slowly getting small hairs ( still very early stage) .

there are 2 possibilities for me :

1. dht '' spiked '' when i got 19 and a half and male pattern baldness started.

2. i had the same dht levels inside me all of my puberty but my follicles/scalp was more resistant from begging of puberty (13-14) to 18 years old.............and they got progressively weaker and weaker until it wasnt able to survive anymore ( when i got 19 and a half years old the balding started).

In other words,
it can be 2 things the constant exposure to the same levels of dht, or it had to pass a certain level of dht to cause male pattern baldness in me.

I'm still confused about those 2 possibilities,,,,,,,, did i have the same dht levels from ages 16/18 to 19 and i just started balding from constant exposure, or it's because of the spike.

if it's because of the constant exposure, i would think that it wouldn't be that good of an idea to inhibit 5 alpha reductase/ dht.

it LOOKS like the dht levels are spiking when the balding starts, we can often see big sheds of hair and sudden hairloss in males. But it would kinda make more sense if the levels are constant and even drop later in life because we have less test when we age, so technically we should be less likely to go bald later in life, but thats not the case.

because balding varies so much in males, it can literally be starting from 13 to basically any age. I'd say its over exposure.

so we are doomed to cut our precious 5 alpha reductase and have less 5 alpha reductase than our non balding peers, I hope it's safe. My dermatologist told me he prescribed finasteride for decades to young men every week and didnt really see anyone have sides... but do i trust him? idk

Last edited:

Ikarus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
At what point did you start spironolactone? And at what dose?

I started spironolactone at 200mg/day in late March, and I used estradiol with it. My hair loss is severe, similar to Bridges starting point in terms of density.

Father_of_Shiseido

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started spironolactone at 200mg/day in late March, and I used estradiol with it. My hair loss is severe, similar to Bridges starting point in terms of density.
That means you started spironolactone after having a significant hair loss.

DiffThinner35

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Decided to start on finasteride , will I still end up balding in the future?

Nobody here can tell you with 100% certainty if you'll go bald or not.

You did the right thing and got finasteride. You're a bit young, but unfortunately baldness doesn't care about age.

Good luck mate!

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nobody here can tell you with 100% certainty if you'll go bald or not.

You did the right thing and got finasteride. You're a bit young, but unfortunately baldness doesn't care about age.

Good luck mate!
My own advice to him was not to start finasteride at this stage because of his age and also the fact he doesn't even have any male pattern baldness anyway, as he stated himself. At age 17, his body is still developing, not just in terms of growth, but in other ways too. He is most likely still going through adolescence, and finasteride could interfere with this. Anyway, he decided to take finasteride, and that's the choice that he has made.