Preventing Hairloss From A Young Age ?

Axel bonnici

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im a teenage boy who has horrible family history for hairloss , everyone in my family is bald , Till now i havent seen any receding or balding on my crown but i want to try and prevent the inevitable. If I start finasteride now , will it save my hair for the future ? Or any other suggestions how to preserve my hair for the future?

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
wait till diffuse thinning will kick in. If you notice it just jump on finasteride and be safe for next 10 years.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Take photo's every few months and compare, if you see thinning then jump on finasteride etc. My one regret is not starting treatment sooner but at the same time it's pointless to take a drug that you may not even need.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im a teenage boy who has horrible family history for hairloss , everyone in my family is bald , Till now i havent seen any receding or balding on my crown but i want to try and prevent the inevitable. If I start finasteride now , will it save my hair for the future ? Or any other suggestions how to preserve my hair for the future?
What age are you at the moment? Your body is probably not finished developing yet, and taking finasteride will interfere with your body's development if you take it too young. It is best to wait until you are at least 20.
Baldness can sometimes skip generations. Just because you have a strong family history of hair loss doesn't mean you are 100% guaranteed to get it. You could get lucky and dodge the bullet, or maybe you could get it at a much older age than others in your family have. Family history is a good indicator but not a completely foolproof one.

Axel bonnici

My Regimen
Reaction score
What age are you at the moment? Your body is probably not finished developing yet, and taking finasteride will interfere with your body's development if you take it too young. It is best to wait until you are at least 20.
Baldness can sometimes skip generations. Just because you have a strong family history of hair loss doesn't mean you are 100% guaranteed to get it. You could get lucky and dodge the bullet, or maybe you could get it at a much older age than others in your family have. Family history is a good indicator but not a completely foolproof one.
Im 17 but Im pretty sure im fully developed , im around 6 ft tall . I definitely feel like my hair isnt as full as before but i have no visible recession of the hairline or thinning crown. And i dont ever want to face that.and Im more concerned in keeping my hair than growing an inch in height tbh.And it might be silly starting a drug this early but better safe than sorry I think

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im 17 but Im pretty sure im fully developed , im around 6 ft tall . I definitely feel like my hair isnt as full as before but i have no visible recession of the hairline or thinning crown. And i dont ever want to face that.and Im more concerned in keeping my hair than growing an inch in height tbh.And it might be silly starting a drug this early but better safe than sorry I think
I think 17 is too young to be taking finasteride to be honest. Your body is probably still developing through adolescence. There is no need for you to take finasteride at this point in any case, as you have no hair loss yet.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As a general rule, the earlier you being balding, the more aggressive your hair loss will be, and the harder it will be to treat. There are some exceptions to this, but it is generally true. Those who start balding early need to treat it with ultra-aggressive regimens.

The problem though, is that if you start balding really young, you will be too young for it to be safe to take finasteride or dutasteride. Such individuals have to get by with minoxidil and other less effective options until they are old enough to safely take finasteride, by which time they could be a Nw7.

Basically, if you start losing your hair in your teens, it is a death sentence.

Axel bonnici

My Regimen
Reaction score
As a general rule, the earlier you being balding, the more aggressive your hair loss will be, and the harder it will be to treat. There are some exceptions to this, but it is generally true. Those who start balding early need to treat it with ultra-aggressive regimens.

The problem though, is that if you start balding really young, you will be too young for it to be safe to take finasteride or dutasteride. Such individuals have to get by with minoxidil and other less effective options until they are old enough to safely take finasteride, by which time they could be a Nw7.

Basically, if you start losing your hair in your teens, it is a death sentence.
The thing is I dont know if im balding. My hair is general feels a little less full than the past and Im gonna start on finasteride cos i dont care about inhibiting my growth as long as I can keep as much hair as possible. I have no visible recession of hairline or thinning on crown , still have baby hairs too

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing is I dont know if im balding. My hair is general feels a little less full than the past and Im gonna start on finasteride cos i dont care about inhibiting my growth as long as I can keep as much hair as possible. I have no visible recession of hairline or thinning on crown , still have baby hairs too
The thing is, it is not just your growth that you could be affecting, but a lot of other changes in your body too. You are probably still going through adolescence. My advice would be not to start finasteride at this point due to your age and the fact you don't even have any hair loss yet. You might not even start losing your hair until another decade or longer.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s not how it works

If you start balding before 19-20 there’s almost no chance finasteride alone completely stop your hairloss

Hahahahah

I started balding when i was 17, tell me more please. XDDDDDD

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Decided to start on finasteride , will I still end up balding in the future?
Ultimately its your choice to take it at the age you are although I did advise against it. There's no guarantee that finasteride will prevent hair loss for any particular person who uses it, but the odds in its favour are very high. One study showed that it had an 87% success rate after 10 years.

DHTcel

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...to-weakest-antiandrogens.123173/#post-1806158
here is my thread on the strongest to weakest oral anti androgens for hair loss. finasteride won't do anything for someone who starts balding before 20. Finasteride is the weakest antiandrogen since it reduces androgenic activity in androgen dependent tissue by only 25%. Dutasteride is a little stronger and reduces androgenic activity by 35%. If you start balding at 14-16 then that means you are likely sensitive to even a little androgenic activity in the body since that is the timeframe when men hit tanner stage 2 in puberty and testosterone levels skyrocket from increased LH and FSH.

if u think DHT causes baldness, you are wrong. Just look at how many men on dutasteride/finasteride for BPH still develop prostate cancer from testosterone alone. This is relevant because prostate cancer gene is encrypted in the Androgen X chromosome, the same chromosome that carries the genes for scalp hair.