Pregnancy While Using Avodart, Any Risks?

Grounder

My Regimen
Reaction score
We are considering getting pregnant in the future and I wonder if it’s any risks for the baby if Im (male) using Avodart while trying to conceive?

Does anyone here have experience?

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In theory everything should be fine but some guys have taken few months off just in case.

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So in theory, if the sperm contains dutas its not going to affect the ”baby”?
In theory,sperm shouldnt contain dutasteride.But im telling you,just to be 100% sure you could have few months off.

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get off Dutas 2-3 weeks before trying it. Wash the Dutas out of your body. Then resume it as soon as your wife is pregnant.

It takes quite a few months of not using it until you notice some losses.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get off Dutas 2-3 weeks before trying it. Wash the Dutas out of your body. Then resume it as soon as your wife is pregnant.

It takes quite a few months of not using it until you notice some losses.
Half life of dutasteride is 5 weeks.

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Half life of dutasteride is 5 weeks.

Ummm actually it may be, I think I might have mixed it up with Finas scalp half life.

Then just a month would do it.

EDIT: And yes, for the OP, Dutasteride and Finas have to be taken off if you are trying to get your wife pregnant. It's not common at all but it may cause some malformities to the baby. Don't take the risk.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with this?
I got my first baby while I was on dutasteride, it was a girl . I had to take arimidex plus clomiphene and even so it took almost a year to get the pregnancy of my wife.
Second one, a boy, I was not on dutasteride for a year before.

Grounder

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got my first baby while I was on dutasteride, it was a girl . I had to take arimidex plus clomiphene and even so it took almost a year to get the pregnancy of my wife.
Second one, a boy, I was not on dutasteride for a year before.
Oh, do you know why it was difficult? Was it easier without dutas?

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Illusion

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is found to be in male sperm at very low ("clinically insignificant") quantities. It is thought that impregnating a woman and having aex with that woman while she's pregnant (she will be in contact with a very low dose of dutasteride if you ejaculate inside her) will probably not alter the pregnancy.

However, I wouldn't risk it for my child. There's not a whole lot of research done on it. If you're on 0.5mg dutasteride every day and you want to quit, do it 6 months before trying to get her pregnant. Dutasteride has an insane half life (as mentioned in this thread earlier).

Last edited:

Grounder

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride is found to be in male sperm at very low ("clinically insignificant") quantities. It is thought that impreganting a woman and having aex with that woman while she's pregnant (she will be in contact with a very low dose of dutasteride if you ejaculate inside her) will probably not alter the pregnancy.

However, I wouldn't risk it for my child. There's not a whole lot of research done on it. If you're on 0.5mg dutasteride every day and you want to quit, do it 6 months before trying to get her pregnant. Dutasteride has an insane half life (as mentioned in this thread earlier).
Regarding the risks with dutas. Do you think there is any differences between impregnating with dutasteride, or ejaculating inside her during the pregnancy? I would think the latter because there is a fetus? Condoms can solve that problem.

But either way I will probably stop using dutasteride long before the action begins.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have become a father to a child while using dutasteride with no problems. My healthy boy is now five. There is very little risk associated with using finasteride or dutasteride when trying to conceive or during pregnancy, as the amount of the drug that is present in a man's semen is incredibly small.

In fact, the amount of dutasteride in semen that is available for vaginal absorption is estimated to be less than 100 times the concentrations that produces abnormalities in the genitalia of male offspring in animal studies. In addition, dutasteride is more than 96% protein bound in human semen, which may decrease vaginal absorption of the drug.

If your wife were to accidentally ingest dutasteride orally, however, that would pose a major risk to an unborn baby. Skin contact with dutasteride capsules would also pose a risk. So make sure your wife is never in physical contact with any dutasteride capsules.

Last edited:

Illusion

My Regimen
Reaction score
Regarding the risks with dutas. Do you think there is any differences between impregnating with dutasteride, or ejaculating inside her during the pregnancy? I would think the latter because there is a fetus? Condoms can solve that problem.

But either way I will probably stop using dutasteride long before the action begins.

I'm no doctor man, there's probably a difference but I have no idea. Ejaculating inside her is mainly risky because of sperm containing low doses of dutasteride and the sperm will be in contact with the walls of her vagina etc, not necessarily because it will "reach the fetus" (it won't) or anything. You're right, condoms would solve that problem

Jim lahey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should ask your doctor but many men get off dutasteride or finasteride when trying to get pregnant for fertility reasons like sperm quality and libido. That's actually what ashton kutcher did when trying to have his kids.

jazz1

Reaction score
I read only they suggest taking one week off Finasteride before trying for a baby.

royce gracie

My Regimen
Reaction score
As far as I know there hasn't been a single case study of birth defects due to the father taking an AR inhibitor. The risks are microscopic. That said, if you want peace of mind taking a month off or so isn't unheard of and probably won't hurt your hair. No studies have been done on this topic. If birth defects could be reliably traced back to Avodart usage you can bet your *** there would have been class action lawsuits ala Accutane.