Prediction Of Male Pattern Baldness From Genotyping!

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5308812/
I don't know whether this study had been discussed here before. But I can't understand this study very well. I get only some points but not conclusion.
This study said AR gene polymorphism is linked to baldness.but they also found same SNPs in 78% non bald men. According to their 5 SNPs gene model you can predict baldness by confidence of 40% .what does it mean.
And why their were no exclusive bald gene /SNPs if it is highly heritable.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Old news' previously mentioned on the forums. But it would be useful to have a thread just on the genetic factors involved and the possible clinical treatment via genetic modification of either the host or follicle cell components.

Janks16

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Genotyping is unnecessary. Just look at both of your grandfathers. If one or both are balding, chances are you'll also experience hair loss... Sucks, I know...

Maave

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Next step: in vivo CRISPR-Cas9 gene mod

Just kidding. This will only slightly help us predict hairloss. So maybe people can start treatment early instead of waiting for nw2. Don't expect human gene manipulation for at least 50 years (or never if law and medical ethics forbid it)

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
CRISPR would definitely help when all causative genes and their interaction's will be discovered.
Till then ,massage and hair picking is the only way out.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I already know I have the bald gene, thanks.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I already know I have the bald gene, thanks.
Ohh.then would you please tell me which gene you have. ? Have you tested yourself for baldness risk? If so, which gene they said you possess.is that AR gene?
Please instead of posting one liner ,you should help. As someone said on this thread ,we need a exclusive thread to discuss baldness genes .
Thats said,anyone here had their genetics tested from 23andme for baldness risk?

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
23andme has a predictor also. According to my genetic info on there, I should not have a bald spot. Guess what?
F*CK!!

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
23andme has a predictor also. According to my genetic info on there, I should not have a bald spot. Guess what?
F*CK!!
That's is the case I am referring in this thread. From my limited knowledge there is no baldness gene that has major impact on hairloss. The only gene which is in media attention for some time now is AR gene .but the risk alleles of AR gene are also common in non balding men(78%).that's confusing!
One fact we know baldness is heritable but we also know that their no exclusive bald genes. Doesn't makes any sense to me.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a very important topic and I think Mandar's point is not so much the predictive factor but the necessity for in depth research on finding the genetic factors involved in hair loss. Many research papers site the multifactorial nature of the condition. Certainly this must be the case. There are many elements that, perhaps if you are lacking in some, you have hair in varying degrees of loss or even quality. I think, and we have certainly seen, some people where everything responsible for any type of poor quality or loss is simply not there and they have hair only angels could have. But they have it. I'm guessing even that the loci for the genes for hair may even lie in different places on different people and that too contributes to the complexity and the very nature of the quality of their hair. I just wish science would pound the hell out of this like the race to space and get something done. I mean, Jesus! they quote constantly the psychological and debilitating social effects of this problem. Let's get on with it already! A medical crisis in my opinion.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ohh.then would you please tell me which gene you have. ? Have you tested yourself for baldness risk? If so, which gene they said you possess.is that AR gene?
Please instead of posting one liner ,you should help.

I seem to have all of them genes as my baldness risk is 100% exemplified by my shiny dome

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a very important topic and I think Mandar's point is not so much the predictive factor but the necessity for in depth research on finding the genetic factors involved in hair loss. Many research papers site the multifactorial nature of the condition. Certainly this must be the case. There are many elements that, perhaps if you are lacking in some, you have hair in varying degrees of loss or even quality. I think, and we have certainly seen, some people where everything responsible for any type of poor quality or loss is simply not there and they have hair only angels could have. But they have it. I'm guessing even that the loci for the genes for hair may even lie in different places on different people and that too contributes to the complexity and the very nature of the quality of their hair. I just wish science would pound the hell out of this like the race to space and get something done. I mean, Jesus! they quote constantly the psychological and debilitating social effects of this problem. Let's get on with it already! A medical crisis in my opinion.
Yeah, you got my point precisely.
I think we can fly probes to mars but we don't have male pattern baldness solution.does this implies that male pattern baldness's genetics ,epigenetic or whatever it may be is more complex than rocket science? I think so,it could be more complex than rocket science.
As trichosan said ,there maybe different genes in different people causing baldness. So pointing just one gene is not possible.
It has been established that light skinned people are more likely to have baldness and sever baldness in fact. So the gene for light skin definitely have something to do with baldness but they are not yet discovered.
For geneticist this must be a classic puzzle ,they should look at it more thoroughly.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I seem to have all of them genes as my baldness risk is 100% exemplified by my shiny dome
Sorry to here that you lost hair that extent. Yeah you definitely have these genes of baldness.what impact does it has on your self image,esteem? Had you said about this on this forum before?